Does anyone actually like Tracy Anderson?

Options
I've been borrowing her dvds from the library, and I have to say that I actually like some of her routines. She gets a lot of flack from the fitness community, but I try to keep an open mind. While I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, there is some method to her madness;) I'd like to hear from others who enjoy her workouts--which ones are your favorites, and which you didn't like. I'm also open to starting a group, if anyone is interested.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Her nutrition guidance and thoughts on exercise are countered by both common sense and science. Her acting was sub par.

Beyond that, I have nothing against her. I just won't pay her (to include purchase of her products) for exercise or nutrition advice.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I agree that her nutrition advice is pretty scary. I just like her exercise dvds. Not necessarily all the time, they are definitely not my every day thing, but I do like them for recovery or auxiliary work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    can you explain the method to the madness- or do you just like the fact you get a good burn?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Everything about this video makes me want to throw a dumbbell to her face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wut2xszT6Q4
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    30 seconds in and I couldn't watch any further!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I made it about 3 minutes (flip flopping between about 50 open tabs as I'm car shopping- but any time I watched I couldn't and I flipped back to a car- or another page.

waiiiiiiiiiiit.

I lied.

I watched- fast forwarded after 30 seconds- then watched some more so I'd say I made a minute.
    3 minutes ish was where I turned it off- my bad- I totally couldn't watch more than a minute of that drivel.

"re-engineer genetics"? WTF
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I just mean that I like how she works all of the accessory muscles--and I def. feel the burn on the glute exercises! I really just wanted to find others that actually do her workouts and enjoy them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    She tells females what they want to hear, but would totally fail answering the most common questions if quizzed on how physiology actually works. Like Dr. Oz, audiences that aren't well versed in fitness, physiology, nutrition etc., will have a tendency to listen to these people because they "sound" like they know what they are talking about, when in truth a lot of what's being passed on is broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Everything about this video makes me want to throw a dumbbell to her face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wut2xszT6Q4

I am with you here. No I couldn't watch or follow her either.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can not stand her or her workouts. She reminds me of a Barbie doll with its head pushed down too far onto its neck, and for some reason (probably pure boredom), that becomes all I can think about when I've tried to do her workouts. Physically, I find that many of her moves put undue strain on my lower back.

With that said, my sister--who admittedly has a great figure--swears by Tracy and recently ordered the Perfect Design series and enjoys them. But my sister also believes in spot correcting and that muscles can be lengthened and toned, so take that for what its worth.
  • JLWright73
    JLWright73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried doing her Metamorphosis workouts. I actually had really good results for the 20 days I lasted. After that I had to quit because it was mind-numbingly boring. However, the video fitness forum I frequent has many Tracy Anderson fans and some are very devoted. I think Tracy is a love/hate kind of person. I just ignore whatever comes out of her mouth and will do a workout of hers once in awhile just for a change of pace. If you can stand doing millions of repetitions of one move, then from what I've heard from reliable women is that the workouts are really effective.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I just mean that I like how she works all of the accessory muscles--and I def. feel the burn on the glute exercises! I really just wanted to find others that actually do her workouts and enjoy them.

If you like doing the videos sometimes, that is what is important. It doesn't matter what others think. I've never seen them, but finding ways to exercise that you enjoy is the key thing.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

If you like doing the videos sometimes, that is what is important. It doesn't matter what others think. I've never seen them, but finding ways to exercise that you enjoy is the key thing.

I agree. I've worked out to some dodgey DVDs where I've hated their talk or music but I liked the routine so I've turned the volume down and put on my own music. Yes that can mean some syncing probs but I still got a good workout.

• JoRocka
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

results > enjoyment

sitting on my couch is enjoyable.

working hard getting sweaty and doing things I sometimes don't want to... not so enjoyable.

but one gets results. one doesn't.
  • mrskayswooley2013
    mrskayswooley2013 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i'm a Jillian Michaels Fan
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    She specifically says " finding ways to exercise that you enjoy is the key thing" not do whatever is enjoyable. I do like Anderson's exercises when I need a break from high-intensity cardio , or working the muscles in a different way from heavy lifting. It seems that there can be a place for almost any type of exercise. I do Yoga and Pilates sometimes, too. I don't see how it is much different from that.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    i'm a Jillian Michaels Fan

I have several of her dvds as well:) They get rotated into the mix. What's your fave?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    She specifically says " finding ways to exercise that you enjoy is the key thing" not do whatever is enjoyable. I do like Anderson's exercises when I need a break from high-intensity cardio , or working the muscles in a different way from heavy lifting. It seems that there can be a place for almost any type of exercise. I do Yoga and Pilates sometimes, too. I don't see how it is much different from that.

just pointing it out my friend... you may like Tracy Anderson- but I bet my next pay check on your results compared to mine I'll get there faster and be way happier.

results, my friend, matter.
  • klballet
    klballet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the new beginner DVDs. There are better cues and shorter workouts. According to my fit bit I usually burn between 200-400 calories depending on the length of time. The mat DVD mentioned above can be a bit tedious. That being said you would actually have to try it first before you put it down. At the end of the day you should do what you enjoy. That is the key to success in the long run. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    What results are you talking about? Maybe our goals are not the same. But, I lift, I run...I also do Tracy Anderson dvds. Its not like I can lift heavy 24/7.