Frustrated at slow weight loss!!!!!!

Options
I am so very very very frustrated and disgusted with myself. I am extremely overweight, and I have tried a whole lot of different things. I lost a significant amount with Weight Watchers, but then I gained it back over this crazy semester. So here I am, at 200 pounds, desperately trying to get the weight off. I think I am just really frustrated because I am losing so slowly... I've only lost about a pound or two in the last week. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do to lose faster??? I try things like drinking skinny mochas once a day as my one and only treat, and I am really careful about my calorie control. I stand for 4.5 hours a day, so I count that as exercise as well. I also do yoga, and I'm going to start swimming, soon. I'm just so frustrated with how slowly this is going!

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Sweetie...a pound or two is just fine!

I know it seems slow...we always want the weight off tomorrow, if not sooner. But you really need to stay the course and let those weekly losses start adding up.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to learn to be happy with a pound or two a week. In a years time, that is between 52 and 100 pounds. What is wrong with that?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I have is to change your perspective. When you were gaining weight, did you say "Oh shucks, only a pound or two this week? This weight gain should be happening much faster!"?

A pound or two is great! Be proud of yourself!
  • spoonangel74
    spoonangel74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your frustration. It is a hard road to stay on. You just have to stay positive and proud of every pound you shed. They will add up before you know it. Good luck!
  • Angie1212mfp
    Options
    Been there done thstso to speak, and while I would love a 5-10 pound loss every week, it's just not possible or realistic expectation, well i guess technically it is, but it's not the healthy way to lose and maintain. Funny, my family doctor only wants me to lose 1-2 pounds per week. But i celebrate any and every loss. Because in the grand scheme of things even the smallest losses add up over time. ( I weighed this morning. I was down only 0.6 pound, burt it is still a loss- YAY Me!!!)
    In the meantime, you say you stand for 4.5 hours a day, could you possibly march in place? it would increase your calorie burn. also, stress causes us to release the hormone cortisol, which puts on the pounds, so try some stress management exercises. Also, try to limit and/or reduce your sodium and sugar intake. I, too, allow myself a treat about once a week. It's usually a couple scoops of my favorite ice cream or a 1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. Do NOT skip meals, it only screws up your metabolism.
    Just stay thre course, and don't give up. Good luck!!!

Angie
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and soon you'll notice how your body is changing and then you'll know 1-2 lbs a WK is just where u need to be! Just keep calorie deficit and exercise and be good.
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Been there done thstso to speak, and while I would love a 5-10 pound loss every week, it's just not possible or realistic expectation, well i guess technically it is, but it's not the healthy way to lose and maintain. Funny, my family doctor only wants me to lose 1-2 pounds per week. But i celebrate any and every loss. Because in the grand scheme of things even the smallest losses add up over time. ( I weighed this morning. I was down only 0.6 pound, burt it is still a loss- YAY Me!!!)
    In the meantime, you say you stand for 4.5 hours a day, could you possibly march in place? it would increase your calorie burn. also, stress causes us to release the hormone cortisol, which puts on the pounds, so try some stress management exercises. Also, try to limit and/or reduce your sodium and sugar intake. I, too, allow myself a treat about once a week. It's usually a couple scoops of my favorite ice cream or a 1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. Do NOT skip meals, it only screws up your metabolism.
    Just stay thre course, and don't give up. Good luck!!!

Angie

This!
    I always want to be losing more then the 1-3 pounds that you are healthily able to lose. So basicly its all about keeping myself up. Its like "oh my god this is going to take FOREVER" But when you think about it, in a month, you'll start to see a difference. I really like to work on toning my muscles along with the weight lose, so that you can start to see like the arm flab, or thunder thighs lessen and tighten. thats the BEST Feeling.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 and have lost a pound or two a week (except for a few weeks where I wasn't vigilant about tracking and maintained). Four months later, I'm down 33 pounds. You can do this. It didn't go on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you didn't gain it fast, you won't lose it fast. in other words.... you gained it one pound at a time, that's how you'll lose it! Patience is the name of the game....
  • kaitlinfurby13
    kaitlinfurby13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you count the standing in your exercise and eat those calories back? The app already accounts for some calories, so I wouldn't put those in my exercise log.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A pound or two in a week is not slow weight loss.

I wouldn't count standing as exercise though - just make sure it is reflected in your activity level.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have a look at that picture of 1lb of fat. That should put it into perspective.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • Alyssa_the_mzungu
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help on the perspective change! I keep trying to remind myself that it does take time, which is helpful to remember. And I'm working on swimming and stuff like that, so that should help. I have looked at all of the fad plan diets where you cut out almost everything, and it just doesn't look doable. So, I guess I will keep at this for now. Thanks, everyone!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    1 to 2 pounds a week is The Sweet Spot most should aim for.

What's slow about that? That's 50 to 100 pounds a year. It took years to put on, right?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound or two a week is fantastic! Keep up the good work!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you did not gain weight overnight and you are not going to lose it overnight…

one to two pounds per week loss is considered average weight loss, so you are on track ..just keep doing what you are doing….
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is ideal. You are doing wonderfully so far.

I blame all these "detox" and "cleanse" and "overnight" diet fads that claim to make you lose 10 pounds in a week. It skews people's perceptions of what is actually reasonable in terms of weight loss rates. 2 pounds a week is reasonable. Anything more than that is not, unless you are very morbidly obese.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's taken me over a year to lose 40 lbs at the rate of about 1lb - to .5lbs a week. Stick with it. There's no time limit; just get healthy.