How much water ?

Options
So, I see these bodybuilders that always carry a gallon of water with them so I assume that's the water they drink all day. But why is that ?Is it to avoid gaining water weight ?Or what other benefits does drinking all that water has ?I drink like half a gallon a day when it's cold an maybe a gallon if I exercise and it's hot like during summer.

Replies

• MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    How much water you should drink varies widely with each individual. It's possible that you're getting enough, especially if you eat a lot of foods that contain high amounts of water such as raw spinach, melon, celery, etc.

The best way to tell if you're drinking enough water is by the concentration of your urine. If it is a pale yellow color, you're most likely adequately hydrated. Darker urine is more concentrated and means that you're not drinking enough and nearly clear urine means that you're drinking too much water and causing your kidneys to work too hard.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    Here is a handy chart!

0,,12781~10290398,00.jpg
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here is a handy chart!

0,,12781~10290398,00.jpg

I thought bar 8 was going to say "You are now dead!" :)
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    8 probably is due to blood in your urine. I'm usually around a 2 or 3 especially if I'm drinking a lot of coffee during the day. I drink about a gallon or slightly more on most days of just water, not including coffee or from food.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    8 probably is due to blood in your urine. I'm usually around a 2 or 3 especially if I'm drinking a lot of coffee during the day. I drink about a gallon or slightly more on most days of just water, not including coffee or from food.

It most likely is and blood in your urine is a good reason to see your doctor.

OP, I forgot to let you know that some supplements can change the color of your urine. I sometimes drink energy drinks and the excess B vitamins in them can make my urine neon for a few hours while I'm excreting them.
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone ! Right now I drink about half gallon a day because it's cold outside and I don't really feel like drinking more and my urine is as clear as number 2 in the picture, I assumed bodybuilders do it for some mysterious ways to make gains haha
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    becess96 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers everyone ! Right now I drink about half gallon a day because it's cold outside and I don't really feel like drinking more and my urine is as clear as number 2 in the picture, I assumed bodybuilders do it for some mysterious ways to make gains haha

I think bodybuilders do it because of Broscience... well that and the supplements they take can often require increased water intake. Most pre-workout supplements do, as a matter of fact.