What do fit people do for fun?

Options
Hi. This might be a pretty silly question, but now that I am doing well eating nutritionally and exercising I am having these great bursts of energy and I don't know what to do with myself. So my question is, what do fit people do for fun? I used to like to do crafts or read for my recreation time, but now I'm all jiggly and wiggly and can't sit still. What are fun active things to do that don't take up too much time or money, and is more fun than just exercising more?

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Good question.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Think of somewhere you'd like to be. Now narrow that list down to things within a five mile radius. Go there on a bike. It's pretty fun. I'll ride a bike to a bar, and since I rode there and back (thus burning a bumload of calories), I can have a drink or two!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I have a 4 year old son that wants to try to go skating and I can't help but think how great of exercise that probably is. I haven't skated in over 17 years but I think if me and my son can get into it, it's something we can enjoy together and benefit from physically. But since it's the summer months, anything outside can be fun. I used to go out to eat or drink for fun, don't want to do that anymore! So packing a picnic, going for a hike, walking the dog--anything but going to a bar/restaurant!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I am by no means "fit", (but getting there), but I totally feel you on this one! I have had so much energy lately. After I get home from work and do my run or ride, I usually do dishes and straighten up the house. FUN I know. But I have been modifying my activities. On nice days I will go for a scenic bike ride. Or I will hike in the forrest behind my house to a nice little stream, take a lunch, and sit there and read. Last summer I had a garden. I also run any errands on my bike, but I live in a very small town with good weather so it is easier for me.
  • drbuffdaddu
    Options
    Go shopping in the city. I can easily spend an afternoon running around center city on foot for fun, looking in stores and such. Who knows how many miles I've probably walked by the time I am finished!
  • nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    That is an excellent question, one that seems like it should have a simple answer. Back when I was fit, I loved sports and joined adult recreational leagues and it was great fun. Most major cities have some sort of organization in place that does this. My favs are slowpitch and beach volleyball. The best thing is there are usually several levels so even if you've never played before it's easy to start.

I love books too but I hear what you say when you are too keyed up to just sit and read. I like to take a book and go to a park and walk to a remote bench or grassy hill and read there. It feels like you are doing something but you are still just reading and doing something you like.

Do what you love but just ramp up the fitness level is my suggestion but I am eager to see what others think
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I'm not fit yet, but I like to go to the park and walk or hike, roller skate, indoor rock climb and go bowling! Most people I see out are fit, so I'm guess those are some thing you might be able to do.
  • Youshagbaby
    Options
    For myself, I compete in triathlons, marathons, and ultra marathons.
    With my family: My oldest son and I will have great nerf gun fights in the park, laser tag, and bike, skate, etc. With my youngest, I become a pirate with him and we take on the the whole park. It's amazing how you can bring a ball or two to the park and have a party break out. There are many clubs and organizations to join too. Idea..... Go to REI online and look at some of their offerings. Kayak anyone?:drinker:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    beach frisbee sessions
    play a bit of basketball
    work on my car/bike (not fitness related :P)
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Oooooh I forgot one!! Disc golf! Most courses are free, you just need to buy the discs. It is lots of fun!
  • LittleGoatie
    LittleGoatie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody. That was great advice!