Coffee and the added Calories

Options
I know this discussion may seem silly. I know. But I keep seeing forums where people are saying that adding ANYTHING to coffee will hinder progress. I drink 2 cups of coffee per day (one in the morning and one a night), and I put 2 Tablespoons of sugar-free coffee mate vanilla creamer in each. And I do use artificial sweetener- I know people are against that, but using sugar adds way too many calories, and I just don't like it black. I barely snack, and the coffee is the one indulgence that I allow myself.

So, in total, I drink 4 Tablespoons of the sugar-free creamer per day. As long as I fit it in to my daily calories, will this hinder my weight loss? Also, how does everyone take their coffee? Are any of you creamer fans like me? :D

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    for health care reasons i dont use sugar.

But i use in my tea some sweetener ( stevia) and i am losing weight just fine ( 57 pound since October)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have 2T of creamer and 1/4 cup of milk in my coffee every morning. It adds up to about 100 calories per cup. It hasn't impeded my progress as long as I account for it in my log.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day and use just a "tiny pinch" of Stevia...one packet per 3 cups. No impact here -- down 171 pounds so far.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No, coffee won't hinder your progress. Just make sure you log it.

Also, I drink coffee with three tsp of sugar and a tsp of hot chocolate mix.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I used to use a couple of spoonfuls of chocolate Ovaltine in my coffee. Honestly, I might go back to it once I finish off this batch of creamer.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I put sweetener and cream in my coffee. I just log the calories and go on with my day.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I used to use a couple of spoonfuls of chocolate Ovaltine in my coffee. Honestly, I might go back to it once I finish off this batch of creamer.

I've never actually had Ovaltine - I might peek at it to compare the two!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee exactly the same way you do. Morning and as an afternoon snack. It has not hindered my weight loss what so ever.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with honey and milk instead of sugar or sometimes no sweetener at all. Don't worry about calories from coffee, that is really very small amount and as you said you are still in your calories limit.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use hazelnut creamer on weekends, and regular cream during the week at work. I do like coffee black as well though, especially if I brew it with some cinnamon on top.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your daily calories, then it's fine.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Log what you add to your coffee and enjoy it.

I drink lots of coffee so I did switch to drinking it black
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in my coffee and I just log it like normal.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

That sounds amazing.. I may have to try this.

Coffee won't hinder weight loss as long as your honest about what you're putting in there and making sure it fits within your goals.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad you prefaced this letting us know you know its silly. my comment would have been redundant then.
  • atypicalme
    Options
    I have one large cup (about 14 ounces) of coffee in the morning with about 2 ounces of coffeemate creamer, and no additional sugar. I'm sure there are better options, but sometimes starting the dieting day off on the right foot means having an old, comfortable friend. If that 2 ounces of flavored creamer is going to be a stumbling block for me, I'd rather get it over with early. In my opinion, it's still better than a glass of juice with breakfast.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I drink it black. A good cup of coffee doesn't need additives. I will put cream or sugar in a bad cup of joe. Luckily I don't get those too much.
  • n1tnguy
    Options
    Black. Sugar and creamer fog the taste and add calories. Not to mention the creamer taste lingers.