archaeologists on the paleo diet

Options
2»

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    "...Eat what you want. Just leave the damn cavemen out of it.”

So, much this. Unless there is a specific health reason to eat a certain way. Like I have to cut back on sodium. I wouldn't say that everyone needs to do this. Most people are fine even eating 4 times the RDA.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can train like a palaeolithic person if you like:

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/palaeolithic-workouts/

just for fun, the challenge, staying fit, whatever.... btw this is an important factor in why palaeolithic people had better body composition than modern people, i.e. doing an intense amount of exercise in order to get any food to eat to begin with, before you even get to the issue of *what* they ate.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Whats wrong with just sticking to your macros/calories? everything in moderation? lots of fruit and veggies for nutrition? Decent protein sources?

I mean I get it, kind off but when your diet is to strict if would almost feel like you can't enjoy life, go out for meals etc...
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Wonderful article!

“Look, the diet itself is sound; it’s the philosophy that’s bull****. Eat what you want. Just leave the damn cavemen out of it.”
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with just sticking to your macros/calories? everything in moderation? lots of fruit and veggies for nutrition? Decent protein sources?

I mean I get it, kind off but when your diet is to strict if would almost feel like you can't enjoy life, go out for meals etc...

Some people think that if you eat what cavement eat, you won't need to count cals and be able to lose or maintain weight. If you cut out most starches and sugars it can make it pretty hard to get a decent amount of cals in.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There are lots of points to debate about paleo, but whether it is historically acturate or not is definitely the least interesting/relevant.

A diet should be defined as sensible or not based on what's contained in it/excluded from it, regardless of what people were or weren't eating however many years ago.