Summiting a Mountain?

Options
Does anyone know how you train for that? Say there was someone with the physique of a jellyfish, what exercises would help train to eventually summit a mountain like Ranier? Will doing mountain climbers help in any shape or form?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Outside (hilly)walks or sets of stairs-with a pack on start small and increase
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Ooh, a jellyfish,
    start walking and nerd fitness.
    Add trails and backpack plus SL5x5
    Move on to hill and smaller mountains.

Mountain climbing is endurance and strength, so they are the things to work on.
    Is this a goal or do you have a planned ascent date?

Cheers, h.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I assume you are planning one of the easier routes on Rainier. Do lots of long, hard cardio. Keep pushing yourself to go harder and faster and longer. Hills. Lots of hills. When walking a long hill gets easy, walk it again, faster. Run if you have to make it harder. Fill a backpack with bricks and walk up more hills.

Rainier isn't a crazy high mountain, but a some people still struggle with the altitude. If you can, do some training at altitude. When the weather gets good, take a day hike to Camp Muir. Before the climb, spend a few weekends up on the mountain - at Paradise or Sunrise. Hike the high trails.

The more technical the route, the stronger you need to be. A strength program isn't a bad idea, but I don't think it's necessary for the Ingraham Glacier route. But if you have the time, do a strength program too. It'll make it easier.
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm hoping to try summer of 2016. I've hiked a few of the 7-9 mile mountains and done some trails near Sunrise but nothing with a heavy backpack like you guys have been suggesting! Camp Muir would be an awesome hike.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how you train for that? Say there was someone with the physique of a jellyfish, what exercises would help train to eventually summit a mountain like Ranier? Will doing mountain climbers help in any shape or form?

this made me lol
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options

i don't think doing a mountain climber would help although some people count 'those' calorie burns
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I summited a much smaller peak last summer (12,000 ft) as part of a longer backpacking trip. Two pieces of advice:

1. Walk many miles per day with a full pack--load it heavier than you will for the trek.
    2. Long sessions on the treadmill at maximum inclination