How do I weigh meat, fish and chicken? cooked or raw?

Options
elfin168
elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
edited January 2015 in Getting Started
Just getting started with daily logging and very pleased with my results so far. How do I weigh meat, fish and chicken? cooked or raw?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Raw will give you the most accurate information. If you want/need to weigh after cooking that's okay as long as you choose a matching entry in the database ( ie don't use a boiled entry if you grilled it, etc ).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine cooked because I eat it cooked. I figure that's what I should do? *knocks on wood*
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

So long as you log it the same way you weigh it, it doesn't matter. A piece of cooked meat will weigh less than it did when it was raw, so there'll be a calorie difference if you weigh it raw but log it as cooked weight, or vice versa.

Cheers
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Raw whenever possible
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »
    Just getting started with daily logging and very pleased with my results so far. How do I weigh meat, fish and chicken? cooked or raw?

Recipes use a raw measurement, so I think that would be better.

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw for consistency & because I tend to cook mostly from scratch (so they are raw ingredients)

It's probably more important that you just log how you weigh.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do it raw unless the meat/fish comes precooked (like cocktail shrimp) and in that case the nutritional info is usually on the package. I think cooked can be inaccurate because it will depend on how much water is left in the meat. A rare steak weighs more than a well done one, for instance. I recall making a whole turkey breast and weighing after. I kinna dried it out (sigh) and when I weighed I was putting a lot on the scale. So much so that I knew it was too much. So I just eyeballed the quantity based on how much I thought it would be raw. For instance, I think cooked is roughly 75% of raw weight for most things I make. I sometimes weigh before and after cooking to prove this to myself.