Starting new Clean Bulk - Input Appreciated

Options
Hey guys,
So far I've concentrated on making small gains but maintaining a reasonably low BF% (staying lean, so to speak... No fancy science, just keeping it clean and keeping to my cardio. Being sure to eat back 75% of calculated Kcals, lifting and pushing fairly heavy).

I was planning on just keeping lean but as I posted a while back I am training to prepare myself for Royal Marine training as such, I really think that I could do with going on somewhat of a bulk. My bodystrength is good but not quite where I want/need it to be.

Cutting cardio out just isn't an option. It's a vital part of my preperation and needs to stay in place (both HIIT and the occassional steady state), as long as I eat back those kcals I'm sur that won't be a problem.

So, here is my plan.

Have a look over and I would appreciate input (I don't do bro logic, a bulk is a bulk and I am sensible.. I don't want to pile on bodyfat either!)

Here are my stats

Height: 186cm
Weight: 191lb
BF%: Around 13%

Here is what I have 'planned' so far, just wanting some input on it

40% Carb
30% Protein
30% Fat

Average weekly routine
Mon- HIIT then Chest, Abs
Tue- Press Ups, Sit Ups, Pull Ups, Chin Ups, weight training (dumbells, barbells, etc)
Wed- Legs Day (ughhh!!)
Thu- Rest Day (still incorporating some basica exercises at home)
Fri- Steady State Cardio, HIIT, Rope exercises, Upper body (general)
Sat- Lower Body (general)
Sun- Towards the rest day but still incorporating some less demanding Cardio (maybe hill climb)

Calories: 3300 (Yes, I'm aware that isn't hugely high for a bulk but as I mentioned beforehand, I'm just experimenting and don't want to gain too much BF. I am open to suggestions on this, just please no bro logic!!), I eat back calories lost through Cardio (usually to around 75-80%, due to over generosity on the estimates of loss).

I appreciate any input, I'm no expert (fairly obvious right? lol.. Not usually a 'bulker')

Thanks guys, You ROCK!!

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A couple of points from me.

Get a garmin heart rate monitor and work out your burns, you can put your weight, age and gender in, it's accurate. Don't eat 75% of them back, eat ALL of them. Overestimate if you have to. If you gain more than a pound a week you can always re assess.(weigh everyday then average, plot on a graph).

You will burn more the heavier you get, so make sure you recalculate.

Try and do heavy cardio and legs on same day, to get maximum recovery. Running next day after legs day will impede muscle building.

I'd do whole body 3 x week, with the cardio on the same day and get at least one FULL days rest. Compound lifts will save you loads of time, and you could aim to do it in 45 mins. I personally go against the grain and run first, then train straight after, never had an issue with injury or tiredness. if you have to do cardio day after weight training, do low impact steady state, like swimming.

Many athletes generally bulk in winter then shed fat slowly while gradually intensifying their speeds towards race season.

Diet

A clean bulk technically means bulking on muscle and fat (fat gain is unavoidable) with as small a ratio of fat gain as possible. You do this with being meticulous with your calorie excess numbers. It's generally recommended to eat an excess of 500 cals per day for your needs. Hopefully that gives you a pound gain a week 50/50 muscle and fat.

The TYPES of food you eat won't change this.

What is important though is this. A minimum .8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Adequate fat, and fill the rest with carbs. You need fast carbs after the workout to transport the amino acids into the muscle cells for repair and growth. That's steak and pasta with a nice sauce.

Forget the percentage ratios. Everyday your calorie needs will vary due to your exercise. Make sure your non exercise maintenance rate is correct, Scooby's claculator is good. Add exercise cals and eat them back plus 500.

If you want to keep it healthy, then eat a nice selection of fruit and veg, keep sat fat under 30g and take a multi vit and omega 3. We have minimum needs you don't get extra healthy for going overboard.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Get a garmin heart rate monitor and work out your burns, you can put your weight, age and gender in, it's accurate. Don't eat 75% of them back, eat ALL of them. Overestimate if you have to. If you gain more than a pound a week you can always re assess.(weigh everyday then average, plot on a graph).

Try and do heavy cardio and legs on same day, to get maximum recovery. Running next day after legs day will impede muscle building.

I'd do whole body 3 x week, with the cardio on the same day and get at least one FULL days rest. Compound lifts will save you loads of time, and you could aim to do it in 45 mins. I personally go against the grain and run first, then train straight after, never had an issue with injury or tiredness. if you have to do cardio day after weight training, do low impact steady state, like swimming.

Many athletes generally bulk in winter then shed fat slowly while gradually intensifying their speeds towards race season.

Diet

A clean bulk technically means bulking on muscle and fat (fat gain is unavoidable) with as small a ratio of fat gain as possible. You do this with being meticulous with your calorie excess numbers. It's generally recommended to eat an excess of 500 cals per day for your needs. Hopefully that gives you a pound gain a week 50/50 muscle and fat.

What is important though is this. A minimum .8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Adequate fat, and fill the rest with carbs. You need fast carbs after the workout to transport the amino acids into the muscle cells for repair and growth. That's steak and pasta with a nice sauce.

Forget the percentage ratios. Everyday your calorie needs will vary due to your exercise. Make sure your non exercise maintenance rate is correct, Scooby's claculator is good. Add exercise cals and eat them back plus 500.

If you want to keep it healthy, then eat a nice selection of fruit and veg, keep sat fat under 30g and take a multi vit and omega 3. We have minimum needs you don't get extra healthy for going overboard.

everything spring said …

I would say that ou really should aim for AT LEAST a .5 pound per week gain. Anything other than that is just spinning your wheels…so if you do not want to commit to the .5 pound per gain, I would suggest just eating at maintenance and recomping...
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice above.
    My TDEE is 2700 (according to scoobys), set my bulk at 3200 calories per day for a 1lb/week gain. As per above advice ill keep checking and adjusting as needed.

Thanks guys!!
  • Train4Foodz
    Options

Diet

Thank you for taking the time to give this advice!
    It makes complete sense, much appreciated!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome, best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!
  • Train4Foodz
    Options
    Ok so, I feel things are going great so far.

I'm contemplating stopping my bulk on the 22nd of Feb a day after my birthday. Giving me until the 17th of March to cut back to a lower bodyfat ready for an advanced health assesment for the Marines.
    Then continuing on to cut back for another month or so, slowly working up to maintenance in time for the start of better weather.

I think the best plan will be to eat to around 1600 - 1700 calories during my cut, keeping protein high and carbs to a lower level (is there anything reccomended for an optimum cut? Macro percentages, etc?). Eating back exercise calories upto 1600 - 1700 (somewhat obviously I guess haha).

Input appreciated!

Thanks guys :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »

I'm contemplating stopping my bulk on the 22nd of Feb a day after my birthday. Giving me until the 17th of March to cut back to a lower bodyfat ready for an advanced health assesment for the Marines.
    Then continuing on to cut back for another month or so, slowly working up to maintenance in time for the start of better weather.

I think the best plan will be to eat to around 1600 - 1700 calories during my cut, keeping protein high and carbs to a lower level (is there anything reccomended for an optimum cut? Macro percentages, etc?). Eating back exercise calories upto 1600 - 1700 (somewhat obviously I guess haha).

Input appreciated!

you are currently eating 3300, right?

going from 3300 to 1700 is pretty drastic reduction …

why not go to 2500 that is still an 1100 per day calorie cut….??

• Train4Foodz
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Input appreciated!

you are currently eating 3300, right?

going from 3300 to 1700 is pretty drastic reduction …

why not go to 2500 that is still an 1100 per day calorie cut….??

To be honest, I don't think I have done my calculations all too right (hey, it's been a long day!).. This was my first 'idea' of planning my cut. What you say there does actually make sense. I am wanting to make a reasonable size cut.. BUT.. as you can appreciate I'm wanting to cut bodyfat with as little muscle loss as possible!

Hey, I did say I'm fairly new to the bulk-cut thing.. I'll get my head around it eventually! Thanks for the input! Always glad of advise!
  • Train4Foodz
    Options
    Feeling pretty noobish right now -_- .. considering I just based my calculations on my BMR instead of my TDEE, back to the drawing board!! lol... 2400-2500 is a much more managable and generally appropriate figure!

• ndj1979
    Options
    Feeling pretty noobish right now -_- .. considering I just based my calculations on my BMR instead of my TDEE, back to the drawing board!! lol... 2400-2500 is a much more managable and generally appropriate figure!

Ha! If I cut out that many calories I would be a hungry you know what and my gym performance would go down the drain ..

Yes, if you want to minimize muscle loss I would suggest increasing protein intake.

perhaps go or 1 gram to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass? And take the carbs down to compensate for this…

• Train4Foodz
    Options
    Progress thus far-

06z_Vq_U9_LJBUEy0_DFgp_Hd4_Jr_GSp0a_Kd2_IMIJFZOYi_Ag_Y_w406.jpg