Musician Help

Options
2»

Replies

• attosa
    attosa Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I always pack food and snacks with me for pre/post show. I move around a lot so I'm famished when we are done. If I forget to take food with me, I make the best choices possible. If I slip, I make up for it the next day. Good luck. Loving these drummer jokes. ;)
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Any other musicians out there have any idea what it's like when you're done playing a 4-hour gig and it's 1am and you're starving and instead of just having water and going straight to bed, you have to detour with your bandmates and get food? Also, with the little to no sleep schedule any help on how to maintain a food schedule?

The fast-food places (most, if not all) have nutritional information on their websites.

• wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i'm a musician as well. i don't have any good tricks, though...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I play all-day festivals and always have a ton of food with me. (Trail mix, protein bars, granola bars, freeze-dried fruit, etc.) I figure that I have so much gear with me anyway that a sack of food isn't going to make much of a difference. Most fast-food places always have nutrition information available, so it's pretty easy to make good choices.

What's the difference between a drum kit and an onion? Nobody cries when you chop up a drum kit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Not a professional musician (though I do play piano, accordion, marimba, etc.) but I am a Latin dancer.

I often go out to dance and get home between 1-3AM. For me, the key is to have something prepped ahead of time. I went out on Saturday and had a beautiful green salad when I got home, with some dried cranberries, nuts, turkey. It was yummy, and after that, I didn't want anything else.

When I don't do that, I find myself preparing a quesadilla or some sort of very carby masa-containing concoction that I shouldn't be eating, even if I have already had dinner. For some reason, if I have been drinking even a little, I am more likely to want to eat things which contain melted cheese and masa.

Pack your own food...it's the only way to go!
  • diesel85
    diesel85 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My only advice is to eat a decent meal before you leave and carry snacks with you.

Incidentally, my husband's former drummer thought it would be a fine idea to hammer on a propane tank. He blew it and his garage up and got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 60% of his body.

He's fine except for some scarring on his drumming arm, though. But he never denies how stupid he is, LOL.

He Drums with only one arm?? lol speaking of which, What has seven arms and sucks? Def Leppard
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    diesel85 wrote: »
    My only advice is to eat a decent meal before you leave and carry snacks with you.

Incidentally, my husband's former drummer thought it would be a fine idea to hammer on a propane tank. He blew it and his garage up and got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 60% of his body.

He's fine except for some scarring on his drumming arm, though. But he never denies how stupid he is, LOL.

He Drums with only one arm?? lol speaking of which, What has seven arms and sucks? Def Leppard

LOL he's def that type of drummer.

sorry, i had actually just taken my meds there and meant to say dominant arm, but drumming arm came out instead.

On the other hand, my husband's new drummer only plays the ride cymbal. I can't even imagine being the one stuck directly in front of him while playing.

Edited for med attack again lolololol
  • diesel85
    diesel85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I saw a band once where the drummer only had a snare and a hi-hat. He was really creative with coercing different sounds. I was thoroughly impressed.