124»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    klwells08 wrote: »
    mhankosk wrote: »
    Shouldn't it add steps when you are jumping around? I use mine more to make sure that I had enough activity for the day. If my steps are at my goal, then I don't need to do more cardio. If it isn't, then I didn't do enough today.

I find that the calories Garmin calculates are low (maybe because of the net versus gross) and I haven't seen an impact on my weight loss.

I don't hate that it counts them as steps. It is just causing the calories to be double counted. Once in the "activity" and once in the 2000 steps I get when doing that activity.

I'm having this issue as well, it is driving me bonkers. I'll get 300+ calories added from a run logged as an activity from the HRM. It will show up as an activity in MFP. Then I will get another 300+ that shows up in MFP as a garmin adjustment. I know I didn't earn 600 calories with a short run. With a small deficit set in MFP, this can really screw up my losses if I don't pay enough attention.

That means your overall calorie burn on Garmin was 300 higher than MFP. If you go to your exercise diary click the " i " next to Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment and it will show you the math behind it.
    az09x5esixn1.jpg
    jatq7n5iazg1.jpg

If you want to see the breakdown of your Garmin Connect Calorie burn then click the "Calories In/Out" tab on Garmin Dashboard. This should take you to a summary of your day. Click on "Activities" and it will show you were the Active Calories are coming from.

8cdrz21j5f0b.jpg
    *The daily steps at the bottom are the steps I took when I wasn't working out.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Luv2Munch wrote: »
    p.s. re: syncing issues, have only experienced them 2-3 times since december and so, since i know that it is going to get fixed quickly can look past that.

I'm glad you love your Vivofit, sincerely, but it's misleading to suggest that Garmin Connect has only been down 2-3 times since December given that at least one of those time it stopped working for a week! A quick trip to the Garmin Connect Facebook page will show the hundreds of people who have had enough because of Garmin's lack of service and unwillingness to fix anything in a timely matter.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Luv2Munch wrote: »
    p.s. re: syncing issues, have only experienced them 2-3 times since december and so, since i know that it is going to get fixed quickly can look past that.

I'm glad you love your Vivofit, sincerely, but it's misleading to suggest that Garmin Connect has only been down 2-3 times since December given that at least one of those time it stopped working for a week! A quick trip to the Garmin Connect Facebook page will show the hundreds of people who have had enough because of Garmin's lack of service and unwillingness to fix anything in a timely matter.

There was a major outage for a couple of days, and there have been problems rendering the modern site, while the classic site was working. There have been persistent problems on the MFP side of the gateway as well, but that's consistent with MFP having problems with many of the related apps.

The Vivofit was a step change in Garmin market positioning, they've not handled that well as it exposed them to a very different segment that was looking for a very different experience than the users of their more sophisticated devices.

If you don't want to recommend Garmin, that's fine. Lots of people would, as they've got the market penetration and their running, cycling and swimming devices are pretty much market leading most of the time. That said both Polar and Suunto are giving them serious competition in the high end wearable at the moment, although nobody is really touching them for cycling devices.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wonder if it's because of riding position. I used a Polar HRM for my last ride (as my Edge 500 has stopped recording calories if I use my Garmin HRM, and I'm trying to work it out with the folks at Garmin) and had heart rate stop recording after a while.

It was an undulating ride and when going up hills I fold up rather that ride in a more upright position. I think the strap could have been dislodged from my skin.

BTW I'm Polly274 on GC mostly walking dogs for exercise due to a hip injury, but also cycle, paddle in a dragon boat, and row. I'm happy to connect to anyone (here and there) interested in health and fitness.

• Lola3009
    Lola3009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I track my running with runkeeper, that's also connected to MFP. This almost always results in double tracking in MFP and on Garmin connect. Does Garmin recognize when you've been running on its own, making Runkeeper pointless?

I'm Lola30 on Garmin Connect
  • vmplvrkb
    Options
    I got one last week and love it! Anyone can add me here or on there. On Garmin I am Kristi Boulware