Too young for exercise?

2»

Replies

• anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I think that young kids should be encouraged to exercise by doing kid things. You know, running around in the yard/at the park, chasing each other, climbing trees, bike rides, going to the playground, going for walks. I really don't think actual exercise is really necessary at that age, as long as they're being active.

Maybe if you live in an inner city area where going out to play isn't really an option due to safety, or your living space isn't big enough.

I think exercise should integrated into a lifestyle so that it doesn't seem like a chore. telling your kid to do wall-sits is similar to telling a kid to clean their room, in my opinion. If your kid sees you doing exercise DVDs, and wants to join in, that's awesome! But if it becomes 'do x amount of reps or you don't get dinner', you're setting your kid up to hate exercise for life. (not insinuating that's what you do, OP!)

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think a little formality with exercise is a good thing. It gets engrained early and they learn proper form at an early age. Especially if the kids are enjoying, why not encourage it?

Also, from the op, she said it was a once a week thing. I'm sure the rest of the week they get to do kid things.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    I agree with you 100%. Kids today spend too much tine inside playing video games as their play time. Teaching them that physical exercise is not a chore but something that should be enjoyed and leads to as healthy life is not a bad thing. Keep leading them down the right path as the rest of our youth gets fatter and fatter.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    She's not dumb, but unknowledgeable of why it's okay. People lacking knowledge aren't dumb, they just have to be taught.

Anyway, nothing wrong with bodyweight activity and "workouts". Kids don't do the reps and sets like an adult would, but their play and activity mimic some of the exercises. Climbing the stairs to go up the slide, hanging from monkey bars, running. We're doing pretty much the same, but with weights and less screaming...........................................well unless you're in a Zumba class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

how do you get that stuff under ur posts? or do u just copypaste it everytime?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    In the old days, this was called "playing". We had monkey bars and swings and rings, and climbing trees, and running, and hopscotch, and jump rope. And hoolahoop. And skates. And skateboards. And bicycles. And swimming. And..... and..... and.....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Handstands and somersaults and trying to be Nadia Comaneci.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    I don't think she is dumb. I think that what you mentioned is fine, but I would be cautious about anything exercise that will actively build muscle (more than normal growth), even if it isn't weight training.

(Example-a 10 year old doing pushups w/their 4 year old brother sitting on them)

Weight training is without question out. At least until past puberty, or 13 years old (as I have read in several places)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    She's not dumb, but unknowledgeable of why it's okay. People lacking knowledge aren't dumb, they just have to be taught.

Anyway, nothing wrong with bodyweight activity and "workouts". Kids don't do the reps and sets like an adult would, but their play and activity mimic some of the exercises. Climbing the stairs to go up the slide, hanging from monkey bars, running. We're doing pretty much the same, but with weights and less screaming...........................................well unless you're in a Zumba class.

IDEA Fitness member

C & P every time! Lol, it's my "thing" here and I get razzed about it from time to time!

IDEA Fitness member
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    I keep saying to my sister I wish I raised in a more active house hold so I would enjoy exercising. I think it is a great idea. If you were doing something more traditional like bike ridding she wouldn't have thought twice about it.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    I think it's great what you're doing

People who become pro and/or olympic athletes start as young as 2!!

ex: Figure skaters - start as toddlers skating
    Same with gymnastics
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    As long as you are making it fun and not a punishment or chore, I think it's wonderful!

ETA: My parents stuck me in ballet at age 3. I'd been begging for a year since my sister got to start when she turned 4 (2 years older than me)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member

IDEA Fitness member

C & P every time! Lol, it's my "thing" here and I get razzed about it from time to time!

IDEA Fitness member

dang, you need to macro that junk, lol. What kind/model keyboard you got?
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member

Same with gymnastics

Actually gymnastics is a perfect example of why not to weight train. This sounds kinda ****-ish bet ever notice how many seem to have stunted growth?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member

Same with gymnastics

Actually gymnastics is a perfect example of why not to weight train. This sounds kinda ****-ish bet ever notice how many seem to have stunted growth?

along with that for gymnasts they have an increased rate of spondylolisthesis and spondylolysis(back problems) i would never put my kid into gymnastics until they were much older.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Glad to know I'm not alone. :)

And as an addition: Our boys do play outside as well, they have free reign to go outside and play whenever they want. However we live in a part of the country that is almost constantly wet and rainy so there are many days, weeks even, where playing and running around outside isn't fun for them.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    That's ridiculous! Good for you! My Dad worked out a lot when I was a kid and of course I wanted to "help" and grew charmed with our rowing machine. While I don't love exercising as an adult, I know that the urges I *do* feel to be active wouldn't be as strong if I didn't have that exposure. It's bonding as well and when they grow up they'll be able to do it all themselves and have you to thank for getting them started.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    That is just ridiculous!! What do kids do at a playground?? That is exercise; running, climbing, flipping, digging, etc!! My son (5yo) does P90x with us. He tried to do jumping jacks, sit ups, pull ups. When he's tired- he stops. It burns energy, promotes healthy exercise habits and he has fun doing somethign with mom & dad. My daughter (9yo) likes to run with me. I usually run 5+ miles, but days she asks to go - we do a mile around the block. If she gets tired, we walk for a bit till she is ready to run again.

Just because the exercises you are doing are more specific does not me they are not good for the child. Now if you give him a loaded protein shake and some creatine before /after....then we'll talk. :laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member

Same with gymnastics

Actually what you are noticing is that elite gymnasts are small. The smaller you are the easier certain acts are to perform, so the ones that get any national/international attention are going to be short.
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

dang, you need to macro that junk, lol. What kind/model keyboard you got?

haha it would be much easier if mfp had signatures! i would love that!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    she's definitely dumb :) I was swimming competitively at 4 yrs old, (naturally I was not very fast then lol) and went to swim practice once a day - though at 4 yrs old swim practice was not very vigorous :) It was fun and I certainly was not too young to be doing it and to be racing :)

kids are supposed to run around and stuff :)