runners: mid-back weakness

Options
I find the older I get that where I feel my runs the most (all day - not during the run) is in my mid-back. When I train for a longer race, it is almost prohibitive. I plank every day and lift weights once a week. But I don't do anything specifically for my back and I guess I should.

Could you give me some ideas so I don't have to keep my runs short for the next thirty years? Also (related) I'm curious without judgment to know how many runners are on Ibuprofen regularly (at least once a day) ...

Thanks!

Replies

• runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Core strength training. You need a overall fitness and strength base to run without injury and pain.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    thank you - do you target your back, or do general core exercises like planking? If you had to guess, what percentage of your exercise time a week is spent specifically on core strength training? I'm wondering how much time I should devote to it (and pull away from actual running) ...
    -
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OP, I find I have a lot of stiffness (not really pain) in my lower back after a run as well. I plank (up to 2.5 minutes) and do strength training, so it's not core weakness. My guess (and that's all it is) is that all the pounding takes a toll on an older body's spine, perhaps resulting in some compression. I find that back stretches within an hour or two after a long run, as well as stretching every morning, helps with that stiffness.

I'm 54 years old and training for a half marathon. Did 10 miles yesterday, but I don't have to take any pain relievers after runs, at least not yet. Like I said, my back has stiffness, not pain.

Good luck finding something that helps if stretching doesn't improve things for you!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I'll try to stretch more often during the day. Yes, stiffness is a better description - stiff, and for me, weakness - like I might injure it if I go for my long run today. I sit all day at work, too, which I'm sure doesn't help.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, if you're feeling like an injury from weakness might occur, I'd listen to what you're body is telling you. Perhaps skip a long run this week and focus on stretching and find some back strength exercises, then see how you feel next week? Just a thought.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I've refocused myself for 2015 - going to run a series of 5Ks and work on speed this year, rather than distance, and in conjunction I will try to figure this back thing out. Would love to hear from runners how much time you give core strengthening in your weekly workouts.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Pain in your lower back might be an indication of weakness in your hips. Heck, they tried to tell me that my shin splints were a result of weak hips. It could be a posture issue, too. I'd advise you to be mindful of your form. Take a rest day, if you think that might help.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take 800mg of motrin before my runs (those runs 5miles and longer). If I forget? I really suffer after the run. I have great shoes, run on a great surface (meaning treadmill b/c its winter vs concrete) and I still have knee or low back pain.

I too sit a lot through out the day and I think that compression, along with me being a side-sleeper, puts stress on my back.

I did 45mins of yoga this morning and it has actually helped. I'm finding that yoga (the more challenging kind ... not the easy breezy mild stretching stuff) but good power yoga is awesome for my strength (upper body and core) and really helps stretch everything out.

So who knows, maybe that would work better for you than "strength training" with your back being a target area.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There are some really great yoga poses to strengthen those muscles in your back. Try Cobra/Sphinx, Half-Locust, Full Locust, and Bow (all from the Bikram series) to strengthen, with Rabbit and Half-Tortoise to lengthen, and some spine twists to improve flexibility. As a runner, try to incorporate yoga at least once a week in your routine to help you stretch and heal.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    keep up with your planks, stretch afterwards, but I'd add a yoga class in there too - get some lengthening. When you do weights, do you do anything for your back (i.e. dead lifts or those lower back extensions w/a plate)...both help with core strength.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    no - but I will start to incorporate those. I might ask a trainer to show me proper form for the back extensions. I see people doing them, and I am slightly intimidated ...
    -
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    no - but I will start to incorporate those. I might ask a trainer to show me proper form for the back extensions.

Actually, i'd ask the trainer for an overall assessment to look for muscle imbalances, and also to check your running form, preferably when you're fatigued. Many trainers aren't knowledgeable about these assessments, so you might want to see a physical therapist or a sports medicine clinic. A proper assessment trumps doing random fixes gleaned off the internet.. some of which can make problems worse.

If you use a trainer, choose one with a good certification (NASM, ACSM, etc) or a kinesiology degree.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was told by my physical therapist that my mid back pain is caused by a weak core. With each step forward the opposite side of your mid back engages. I have weak abs and weak hip flexors. And some old fractures in my lumbar spine that causes instability. Currently doing stability ball work and hamstring stretches. Haven't addressed the hip flexors yet. Pilate's should help you. Any isometric exercises. And if you find a good chiro, not one that just cracks you and takes your money, but one that is almost like a physical therapist will help identify/solve your muscle imbalance issues.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with adding yoga, weightlifting (2-3x/week) and daily stretching. It has helped me tremendously with muscle soreness and overall fitness performance.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    thanks everyone! great ideas -