I am so ashamed of myself...

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    But that's the thing - it wasn't "wrong". It was just an event in your life. That is all.

It is something to learn from - work to find something to glean from it. Was it time of day, was it a long running craving you had been having, was it due to something else in your life, etc? Try to learn and then shake it off.

I had 1200 calories of pizza and birthday cake last night - after dinner! Today is a new day however and I'm moving on. I once ate nearly 1500 calories of "giant" Hershey bar and Peter Pan peanut butter in one sitting. That was probably 60lbs ago. Log it for the record and data, and then forget it. :smiley:
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Don't let one bad day derail your weight loss journey. And, it is a journey, so not all days will be smooth.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Thank you all. I have done extra veggies and less potato for dinner so going to go for a walk now before the family get home. No dessert for me tonight. :) Will definitely start again tomorrow and I might even get a swim in tonight too. :)

Good to hear you are feeling better.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Gosh I did that yesterday. You are 39 years old, it says you have 5 lbs left to loose. Don't worry you did not loose or gain (weight) anything by doing that but you are self aware and conscious about what happeneded and why..

I would/do log it even if it is the next day and I put a note on my diary that says "I had a bad day" so I will see it.

You have a few more weeks to your goal... Look to that as your inspiration!!!
  • abbymercer1
    abbymercer1 Posts: 28 Member
    I wish, that goal is only the first step. I have over 40 lbs to lose, but thanks for the encouragement. :)
  • Remember this feeling- it will really help you!! X
  • Nahray
    Nahray Posts: 10 Member
    Abby - also you might think about chocolate as a trigger food for you and therefore prepare for the next time. Potato chips does me the same way. About a week ago I wanted potato chips like you wouldn't believe. I thought about them until I went to sleep. So, the next day I looked up a recipe for no fat, baked potato chips. I sliced two potatoes really thin, seasoned them up and put them into the oven. after 20 minutes or so i flipped them over. I had the crunch, and flavor that I craved and I ate the chips till I was satisfied. I used that as my carbs for the day. I haven't had that craving since. Now to tackle all the others. LOL --

Move on! and try to prepare - maybe some no fat cocoa powder, stevia / splenda and almond milk for a cup of hot cocoa. that might take away your chocolate craving. SUBSTITUTE! good luck

N
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    curious - how much choloate/candy was this? There is nothing shameful, or bad about eating chocolate. Log it/own it/move on...
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    TheEats wrote: »
    You do not write any day "off". You log and move on. Food is not shameful, even chocolate. Remember how this made you feel in your body - sugar rush and following crash and all bodily discomfort following, perhaps even put a note in your food diary to ensure you do not forget next time you feel like doing something similar.

Eat your roast dinner, but log it as well, and go for a long and brisk walk this evening. Think positively about yourself, remind yourself that eating unhealthy -occasionally- is not what got you to your current weight and look forward to the nutritious food you will be filling up on next week.

Good luck! :)

This. Absolutely perfect advice. :)
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Food is not something you should feel shameful about. You ate lots of chocolate, I'm sure it was great, now don't ruin it by bringing negative connotations to it. Your body or your soul needed that, you probably haven't had anything like that for a while.
    Log it. (stay truthful and honest). Eat dinner. If it makes you feel better, eat a little less, maybe go for a walk, but you don't have to. You're not gaining any weight over 600 extra calories (or 1000 or whatever).
    Just move on.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I say log it and move on.

Make sure you don't lapse in the future by building in treats for yourself. A chocolate bar here, a cake there, planned into your calorie limit will allow you to indulge your sweet tooth and still lose weight. Many scientific studies and lots of anecdotal evidence suggests that this allows you to stick to your weight loss plan for longer and get more sustainable results long term.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I agree, spend some time with yourself and really process exactly what happened/how you were feeling right before you lost control. Learn from this, and this is what the process is all about!

Now proceed.
  • Most people have days like that. Log the calories you ate, don't be afraid :) and move on! We all make mistakes and mistakes are to learn from and go forward! :) xx
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Everyone here saying not to feel guilty or shame over your misstep is right. They are saying it for a reason. Harboring shame over food hasn't helped you in the past, has it? It just makes you feel worse. It makes you berate yourself. It makes you terrified of not eating the 'perfect' food at your next meal. If you feel like you're never allowed to eat something, that's only going to make you want it more. Allow yourself to have some chocolate so it doesn't feel like some kind of illegal treasure that you'll go nuts on when you can no longer avoid it.

Accept it wasn't something that was ideal, but it wasn't the end of the world, and move past it. Don't speak so meanly to yourself. Would you let a beloved friend talk that way about themselves? Why do you you do it to yourself? Food is not a reason to feel shame.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Whether your day is good or bad, log the food and move on. We all have these days. It's part of the process.

Chocolate isn't unhealthy. It becomes unhealthy when it is eaten in excess. Portion control becomes easier along the way. Stick with it and you'll see.

You MUST MUST MUST be consistent and honest with your logging. Enjoy the roast dinner. Log it and go for a walk/run afterward.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    We've all been there. You need the lows to make the highs all the more sweet. Log it-Own it. Tomorrow get out there and kick butt!
  • CherylReynolds56
    CherylReynolds56 Posts: 15 Member
    I had some of these days around Christmas. I should have logged it, but I didn't (I felt some shame in that). I am a firm believer that tomorrow is a new day. It took me several days but I did get back on track again. Over the last year I have learned so much about our bodies and that it isn't always our fault and we should not feel shame, disappointment of self blame. There are so many factors of why we sometimes over eat... one of them being hormone imbalance. The best we can do after having a set back, is to move forward, LEARN from our mistakes and start fresh the next day...
  • Ready? Sometimes I eat too much Chinese! :smile: But the good news is that it doesn't matter if you cheat one day. Enjoy!
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Thank you all. I have done extra veggies and less potato for dinner so going to go for a walk now before the family get home. No dessert for me tonight. :) Will definitely start again tomorrow and I might even get a swim in tonight too. :)

Woohoo! Way to go!