Any other moms out there having trouble breaking the evening cocktail/treat habit?

Options
13»

Replies

• eehoffman242
    eehoffman242 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ha! Yes indeed. I remember timing when I could have an eve drink when i was nursing my son. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am also 36 with two boys (2 years old and 4 years old) and a full time job. I understand what you are talking about. Not only do you just want to unwind with a cocktail/wine/beer I always feel like I've "earned" it. It was hard for me to get out of the mindset that the cocktail was my "reward" for making it through the day.

I switched to a hot mug of tea at night. No where near as satisfying but I have to keep telling myself not to reward myself with food or booze.

I also beat the late night munchies/drink cravings by going to the gym as soon as the boys go to bed. Most nights I'm there from 8:30-9:30 or 10pm. This helps to replace the need to deal with daily stress with a drink with dealing with stress with physical exhaustion. Its also the only time I have in my schedule for exercise (not a morning person).
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That's me! We have our own business - I'm at the office while the kids are in school, I leave to pick up my daughter then it's homework, get dinner going, kid activities, clean up, go to bed. Sometimes I drink a glass of wine at night, but if I drink it too late it makes my sleep "funny". Plus, I go to the gym at around 4:30 or 5 in the morning, (the only time I can go - when everyone's asleep!) and the wine sometimes interferes with that. I'm 49, so my metabolism has REALLY slowed down.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same exact problem!! I'd completely cave the moment I got home from work in the afternoon. What I started doing instead is going directly to the gym (my gym has 4:30 and 5:30 fitness classes so it's perfect) so that I could at least "earn" some of those calories. It worked for me and also made me more careful about what I eat because I think "well I had to work very hard to burn 500 calories so I'm not going to eat the piece of cake/chips/etc. etc."

If that's an option for you, maybe you can give it a try! :)