What's a good % of Fat grams per day

I'm finding the macronutrients calculator on here is very generous (for me) I have never ate 60 grams of fat in a day and don't plan to start. Can anyone recommend where to calculate carbs/fats/protein to maintain steady weight loss for about 8 weeks to reach my normal body weight. I can adjust to maintain but since I'm logging I want the correct numbers to aim for.
My stats: 147.9 lbs and 5'6
Goal weight: 135 lbs
I've always worked out 4 times a week, are healthy but my weekend splurges have caught up.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Body weight x .35 is a good starting point. In your case @ 50 grams.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    1 gram of protein for each pound of lean mass also. Make up your remaining calories any way you want. I have mine set to P 40/ F 30/ C 30.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Body weight x .35 is a good starting point. In your case @ 50 grams.

^This is how I have mine set, too. Fat helps regulate hormones, helps with cell growth, and keeps your skin and nails healthy. It's also one of the things, along with protein and fiber, that helps keep you feeling fuller longer.

• CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    I'd agree with the fuller, longer comments. Plus - it's just so delicious, why not have it? The majority of my calories come from protein and fat. Keeps me full.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Learn to distinguish between healthy fats and less healthy fats. Stop seeing fat as the enemy. Monounsaturates, polyunsaturates, omega 3s... all of them are good for you! Eat avocados, nuts, fatty fish like salmon, olive oil... these fats are all part of a healthy, balanced diet. Try to keep the saturated fats down (though don't obsess -- some is fine) and the trans fats at zero. But in general, despite the name, fats don't make you fat!
    1 gram of protein for each pound of lean mass also. Make up your remaining calories any way you want. I have mine set to P 40/ F 30/ C 30.

I use 0.8g of protein per pound of LBM, but yeah, this is basically my approach, too. Most days I have trouble hitting my protein goals, but fats are never an issue.
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    I'd like to reset the polyunsaturated and monounsatured fat goals in my profile. Is there a way to know what the range is and how to calculate it based on my stats or is there a general percentage I should be keeping within? (specifically for poly and mono)? TIA