Have Uric Acid - Need help on foods

Options
Due to too much uric acid & gouty arthritis I have to watch what foods I'm eating. I've checked several on-line sites and am getting acquainted with the do's/don'ts's. Is there anywhere on this program that shows which foods to avoid for acid/protein. I really like the database they have set up. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The diary lets you track fat and also sugar --- both of those would be helpful to limit I imagine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    MFP is less a "program" than a social media site for sharing weight and health related activities and efforts. Yes, when you set up a profile, there are default numbers generated but the advantage of this site is that it is being used to support many different approaches to diet and health and to be able to change those numbers to fit you.

Taking this paragraph from the Mayo clinic page linked above: "A gout diet reduces your intake of foods that are high in purines, such as animal products, which helps control your body's production of uric acid. The diet also limits alcohol, particularly beer, which has been linked to gout attacks. If you're overweight or obese, lose weight. However, avoid fasting and rapid weight loss because these can promote a gout attack. Drink plenty of fluids to help flush uric acid from your body. Also avoid high-protein weight-loss diets, which can cause you to produce too much uric acid (hyperuricemia)."

It becomes clear that you will want to determine a daily caloric intake that allows you to lose weight at a reasonable pace, avoid fasting or high-protein diets, etc. You can set these things up in your daily goals and track them as you log foods. You'll want to do more research, of course, to establish what those goals are and which numbers you want to watch carefully.

There are lots of information out there for creating a low-purine diet for yourself, for example, http://www.patient.co.uk/health/gout-diet-sheet

You might also do a search for "gout" in the community to find others with similar diagnoses.