Holiday weight almost gone, calculating "where to stop" for maintenance for smaller ppl

Options
So I only have 2 lb left of the holiday weight to lose. To maintain at the desired weight, I've read here that it would actually be smart to go 5 lb below goal so that when I eat maintenance calories, I will end up at my actual goal due to the return of glycogen and water stores in my liver and muscles. Supposedly that glycogen and water will weigh 5 lb. So if I lose down to 115, then start eating maintenance, I'll bounce up to 120?

I'm five foot three and my goal weight is 120. Can anyone else close to my height/size vouch for the five pound amount; is that still roughly correct for smaller people? It sounds like a lot, but if it's correct, I'll go with that number.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's more like 2 lbs for me. I'm 5'4" and I weigh around 125 lbs. But remember that weight fluctuates anyway so personally I aim for a range. Anywhere between 122 and 127 is good for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Hm. So maybe for shorter people, 3 lb below, or thereabouts? I don't have the kind of weight fluctuations I used to have because I no longer have regular monthly cycles. I tend to be really steady on a particular weight as long as I eat in such a way as to support that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    5'3" isn't that little (I'm 5'0", lol) 5 pounds might be ok for you. But you could shoot for as little as three lbs below goal if that feels more reasonable for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Hm. So maybe for shorter people, 3 lb below, or thereabouts? I don't have the kind of weight fluctuations I used to have because I no longer have regular monthly cycles. I tend to be really steady on a particular weight as long as I eat in such a way as to support that.

The thing is it's not like there's a huge difference visually between 115 and 120. Personally I look about the same at either end of my maintenance range. I don't think it's really necessary to try to hit an exact number like that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    5'3" isn't that little (I'm 5'0", lol) 5 pounds might be ok for you. But you could shoot for as little as three lbs below goal if that feels more reasonable for you.

Really? For some reason I always had the impression that you were tall, like 5'10" or something. :laugh:

Wait, I hope that didn't sound super creepy.
  • LindaMc6262
    LindaMc6262 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and whenever I shifted to maintenance for a break (while still trying to lose), my weight went up 2-3lbs. That weight was gone the next week when I returned to the lower calorie intake.

Going a few lbs below goal before transitioning to maintenance is a good idea. An alternative is to add calories very slowly. For example, you could add 100 calories a day for two weeks. If you are still losing, add another 100. Keep going until you level off.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to have a range, not a point. I'm 5'3" and my range is 126 - 129. I wear a size 4, which is more important than the weight number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets the "glycogen bounce". Depends on your rate of weight loss, your food choices and your eating patterns.
    You will probably need to experiment to find your maintenance calories so every chance you may dip under goal anyway while you are walking up your calorie intake.

I would look at the glycogen/water effect as an explanation for rapid changes in weight that don't match calorie intake rather than a being a given that has to be planned for.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I actually had a hard time when first switching to maintenance. It took a long time for my body to settle down from weight loss and actually maintain, it kept wanting to lose. I had to slow way down on my exercises and increase calories. I finally stopped counting for a while, just ate as much ice cream and candy as I wanted until I had put 3lbs back on. Then it stayed there a while. I increased again this summer, but it was easier than before. Personally, I haven't noticed the bounce up after restricting.

Basically, if you think you are where you would like to be, composition wise, then it really shouldn't matter if your body is glycogen-restored or not. It won't make a difference in how you look or how your clothes fit. 2lbs is so negligible anyway.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Congrats for losing so quickly! I am sort of in the same boat. I refused to weigh myself during the holidays and on my morning of reckoning, I ended up five pounds over my goal ( I am 5' 5", my goal is 130 lbs.). Yesterday I was 131 pounds, today I am 133 (high sodium Sunday). In my mind, if the weight comes off so quickly then it wasn't fat, it was water. When I was dedicated to losing weight, the last five pounds took weeks and months to lose. If I can lose it within a week or so, it wasn't fat so it doesn't matter. Doesn't it feel good to be in control and constantly within striking distance of your goal? Yay!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and didn't get a glycogen bounce at all, but I didn't rapidly increase my calories when I reached my target weight - I increased over time as I approached my target. Also, I got back to my target weight post-Holidays just by eating at maintenance not actively cutting below that.

I guess every body is different..
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Any more than a 3 lb fluctuation is noticeable on my 5ft 2 frame.. everyone is different.
    I'm medium build and am slim at 134lbs.
    The scale is only a number. I'm thinner now than when a stone lighter, inch loss is the biz☺
    UK size 10s roomy on me these days when I once was a 14..I'm still ecstatic about that☺.
    I don't gain during any holidays any more as I keep my fitness up consistently which keeps me maintaining nicely.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and when I hit my goal I waited 1 week to be sure, then added 50- 100 calories back. After a week, I added another 50-100. I did this until I went up to maintenance. I continued to lose, so I went below my goal. That gave me a 3 pound "cushion". My range is goal-3 so if I fluctuate, I am still under goal. I went 3 under because I slowly increased calories (over 4 weeks or so), so I did not gain. More than 3 pounds is too much for me for a range. Goal was 105, went to 102 to give you an idea. I hope that helps.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    5' 1 and maintain between 100-105, been doing it since2010.
    I generally maintain at TDEE of 1400 or NEAT 1200 + exercise.
    I recently changed my exercise regime and have had to play with my TDEE to stop me losing more.
    I tracked for a while and found I had to eat TDEE 100 more.

5'1 SW 130, GW 105, maintained at 100-105 for 5yr. Don't log unless circumstances change.

Typing this made me realize, while losing I was on 1200 plus exercise. Once I had lost weight I was also on 1200 plus exercise for maintenance, and that is why I have never fully understood people worrying about maintenance. Silly me.

If I were you I would just start eating at your recommended TDEE or NEAT and adjust accordinglyafter a couple of weeks.

Cheers, and good luck on your Maintenance, h.