Spaghetti Squash

Options
kristen6350
kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
Ok. So I'm not new here but I'm new to Spaghetti Squash. I don't expect it to taste like noodles, but I'm very curious about it.

How do I cook it - do you cut it in half and roast it, then dig out the middle? Can you crockpot cook the thing while I'm at work?

Then do you just use typical spaghetti sauce on it or do you have a particular recipe you use. I typically like spicier/savory than sweeter food.

My boyfriend has already told me, when looking what I brought home, he won't eat it. Fine. I'll make something that looks tasty and he'll have regular noodles. I'm good with that.

Thanks ahead of time fellow MFP'ers.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When I am in a hurry I cut it in half and microwave. I suggest under cooking it, if you over cook it you will get mush not squash threads. You can roast it, grill it and I have seen people crockpot it too. I have only microwaved and grilled it. Pinterest is overrun with spaghetti squash ideas.

Microwave: Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Place cut side down in a microwave safe dish, add 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 8 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes (You may have to do each half separately, I do). When squash is cool enough to handle, pull the squash into spaghetti like threads.

Grill:livestrong.com/article/473750-grilled-spaghetti-squash/#page=1

Here are some of the things I have tried:
    foodyschmoodyblog.com/stuffed-spaghetti-squash/#1sfiz3np.13615.pi
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/search/label/Spaghetti%20Squash
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thanks, dklibert. The top recipe looks wonderful. I know Pinterest is exploding with recipes, but I never know what one is actually good. Been burned before.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I microwave it too, but I cut it in half, put both halves in a glass bowl with some water in the bottom. Put a smaller bowl on top, upside down, and microwave for 15 minutes or so, depending on the size of the squash. I take out the seeds after, just find they come out easier and then shred with a fork. I just use a jarred sauce and parmesan cheese for a low cal lunch. I get stuck on this and sometimes eat for a week! If you have an Aldi by you, they have had spaghetti squash for $1.29 (or at least the one in my area) for the whole thing, not per pound. Sometimes I'll make a bunch at once and freeze. This recipe is also really good http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I prefer roasting spaghetti squash. If you're doing more than one (which I usually do) it takes about the same amount of time and tastes much better. Lately, my favorite way to have them is mixing it with chili chicken burgers and a sauce made from fire roasted tomatoes.
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash and it's so hard to find in France :(
    I just cut it in half length wise, spray the surface with olive oil, line my roasting tray with parchment paper and roast the halves down faced for about 45min to an hour.
    Then you scrape it out.

It tastes like really buttery sweet-ish spaghetti(-ish). It's really nice. You can use it like normal spaghetti.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite ways to make spaghetti squash. I don't like sausage, so we substitute grill chicken breasts instead.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/12/spaghetti-squash-sausage-lasagna-boats.html
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    Options
    Here's something totally different and really delicious:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spaghetti_squash_pork_stir_fry.html
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I roasted the seeds from my last one and they were really good.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My husband belongs to a men's gourmet cooking club, & after dinners, if there's food or ingredients left over, they're allowed to bring it home. Monday's dinner included spaghetti squash, & apparently that was the only item left over, so he brought 2 home for me. :) He knows I love it, even though he's not fond of it himself. I didn't think I would be able to eat that much myself before it went bad, but apparently you can freeze COOKED spaghetti squash for several months. I plan on roasting or microwaving them, then freezing it in portions. It's soooo yummy, even just roasted with a little olive oil & salt & pepper. I also made a "lasagna" with it -- mix together cooked ground meat, mushrooms, peppers, onions, can of tomato sauce & can of diced tomatos. Layer with spaghetti squash & shredded mozzarella, bake til heated through & cheese melts.
  • LisaLu618
    LisaLu618 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is the super short video that sold me on how easy it is to cook a spaghetti squash:

Dani Spies: Spaghetti Squash 101

Now I eat them ALL the time, usually with spaghetti sauce although I know there are tons of recipes out there. Very easy, relatively low-cal.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite spaghetti squash recipes:

It includes chicken, chicken stock, tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms, white wine, spinach and optional parmesan cheese. Good for a special occasion.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/market-basket-challenge-winning-recipes/spaghetti-squash-chicken-mushrooms-spinach
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite spaghetti squash recipes:

It includes chicken, chicken stock, tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms, white wine, spinach and optional parmesan cheese. Good for a special occasion.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/market-basket-challenge-winning-recipes/spaghetti-squash-chicken-mushrooms-spinach

Looks great, thanks!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't like it as a spaghetti substitute with regular sauce, but I love it with some salsa or at least a spicy pepper filled tomato sauce or some chili on it. Yum.
  • francesmarieg
    francesmarieg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spaghetti Squash! I roast it and undercook it a bit so the noodles aren't mushy! After I fork the "noodles" out, I heat olive oil in a pan and saute mushrooms and tomatoes... add the spaghetti squash and then salt/pepper/garlic! And Voila! : )

IF I want "Spaghetti" Then I usually make ground turkey meat sauce with it!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I love the recipe MFP featured on spaghetti squash! Even my husband (who isn't at all keen on vegetables) really loved it! If spaghetti squash weren't so expensive here in Saudi Arabia, I'd probably be making this thing twice a week! ;)

Here it is: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/tex-mex-baked-spaghetti-squash/
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff! I cut mine in half, remove the seeds and steam them. It takes about 20 minutes after the water starts simmering. Then I eat half and store the other half upside down on a plate in the fridge (covered, of course). I usually just add stuff into the middle and pull the threads to combine it all. I love that it comes in it's own bowl!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I roasted the seeds from my last one and they were really good.

You can do the same for pumpkin seeds.

As for spaghetti squash, we've boiled it. But it is quite good.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    My husband belongs to a men's gourmet cooking club, & after dinners, if there's food or ingredients left over, they're allowed to bring it home. Monday's dinner included spaghetti squash, & apparently that was the only item left over, so he brought 2 home for me. :) He knows I love it, even though he's not fond of it himself. I didn't think I would be able to eat that much myself before it went bad, but apparently you can freeze COOKED spaghetti squash for several months. I plan on roasting or microwaving them, then freezing it in portions. It's soooo yummy, even just roasted with a little olive oil & salt & pepper. I also made a "lasagna" with it -- mix together cooked ground meat, mushrooms, peppers, onions, can of tomato sauce & can of diced tomatos. Layer with spaghetti squash & shredded mozzarella, bake til heated through & cheese melts.

I didn't know it would freeze well. I'm going to start buying them more often now. I baked one just the other night and am making a basic marinara sauce today.
  • danacbayley
    danacbayley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bake it in the oven, scoop it out and serve my home made pasta (tomato) sauce over it with home made meatballs. Delish!
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I LOVE me some "sketti" squash! I make it often. I boil it and put it in the crockpot. Here are a few recipes for you to try:

*My absolute favorite* (and a BIG winner with my husband):
    Spaghetti squash, peppers, tomatoes, and sausage
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-peppers-and-spaghetti-squash/detail.aspx

and this one is EASY
    Crockpot spaghetti squash and meatballs
    http://www.iwashyoudry.com/2013/09/04/super-easy-crock-pot-spaghetti-squash-meatballs/

We actually served spaghetti squash as a side dish at our wedding!