Alright, you have beat me into submission.

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    By delicate toning I mean shapely, yet still soft.

No such place exists. When a muscle fiber contracts, it fully contracts. All the way. Past GO and collects $200. There's light amount of weight that makes a muscle contract just enough to be toned. All or nothing. When you lift only your body or some similarly light weight, you recruit just enough muscle fibers to get the work done. You don't get all the fibers in the muscle working and improving, just the portion needed to move a very light weight (I don't care what you weigh, your legs are made to hold you up all day long).

Lifting something heavy (defined as failure reached anywhere from 5-12 reps for our purposes here) will recruit all of your muscle fibers, teach them how to work together (improving your coordination and decreasing your risk of injury) along with helping maintain your bone density so that you can ward off osteoporosis further down the line. And did I mention you'll be done in seconds? Less time doing reps means fewer chances to get injured and less total time working out.

So the choice is completing 5-12 reps in a few seconds, improving the entire muscle group you wish to target, and helping your long term health outlook. Or doing hundreds of reps that still don't your legs fully while wearing out your knees and not improving your bone density. It's not a choice between "toned" and "bulky". It's between effective or ineffective.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

No such place exists. When a muscle fiber contracts, it fully contracts. All the way. Past GO and collects $200. There's light amount of weight that makes a muscle contract just enough to be toned. All or nothing. When you lift only your body or some similarly light weight, you recruit just enough muscle fibers to get the work done. You don't get all the fibers in the muscle working and improving, just the portion needed to move a very light weight (I don't care what you weigh, your legs are made to hold you up all day long).

Lifting something heavy (defined as failure reached anywhere from 5-12 reps for our purposes here) will recruit all of your muscle fibers, teach them how to work together (improving your coordination and decreasing your risk of injury) along with helping maintain your bone density so that you can ward off osteoporosis further down the line. And did I mention you'll be done in seconds? Less time doing reps means fewer chances to get injured and less total time working out.

So the choice is completing 5-12 reps in a few seconds, improving the entire muscle group you wish to target, and helping your long term health outlook. Or doing hundreds of reps that still don't your legs fully while wearing out your knees and not improving your bone density. It's not a choice between "toned" and "bulky". It's between effective or ineffective.

:drinker:
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options

OK, OK, persuasive...I'll try it your way. Like I said, I don't have the weights or access to a gym, but I can definitely use heavy things around the house and see if that makes a difference.
  • GnomeLove
    Options
    Look at me learning all sorts of squat knowledge and junk...you guys are awesome.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky. You'll have sexy rear. Bam!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    ....but just some delicate toning

Forget the snu-snu.....I would like to discuss the "delicate toning" :huh: :laugh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Is NO ONE going to address the use of "snu snu" ??????

I don't know what it is. :frown:

Bulgarian split squats are good! And if you do have a backpack, you could add bags of rice to it (unopened, of course) to make it heavier. I'm on whatever day you do 190 squats in the challenge, and also doing squats with New Rules. I noticed yesterday that my butt was filling out my pants better. :bigsmile:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You are going to be fine lol not going to get huge legs unless you take some help which I doubt you will lol Just start with body weight then do some weight I am doing the squat challenge with 50 pounds for now working up from there
  • GnomeLove
    Options

Forget the snu-snu.....I would like to discuss the "delicate toning" :huh: :laugh:

OK peeps...by delicate toning I mean something like this :

spl449932_029-wm900.jpg

This is my all-time favorite girl crush Jennifer Lawrence. My body is somewhat similar to hers in size and shape. You see how it looks like she works out, but not too intensely, because she is still shapely and soft in a womanly way? Does that make sense? I have been drinking.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

spl449932_029-wm900.jpg

This is my all-time favorite girl crush Jennifer Lawrence. My body is somewhat similar to hers in size. You see how it looks like she works out, but not too intensely, because she is still shapely and soft in a womanly way? Does that make sense? I have been drinking.

It's simple, she's got a little bit of body fat that softens up everything. That's all. 99.99% of women have no concerns about getting too lean or bulky or whatever you want to call it. Even the most hardcore fitness models look a lot softer when they aren't competing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This is my all-time favorite girl crush Jennifer Lawrence. My body is somewhat similar to hers in size and shape. You see how it looks like she works out, but not too intensely, because she is still shapely and soft in a womanly way? Does that make sense? I have been drinking.

What you're talking about is a measure of bodyfat percentage. Basically, if you get hyper lean, your muscles will be closer to the skin and more readily visible. Lift heavy and don't get hyper lean.

Don't worry, one doesn't get extremely low BF by accident.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Just to clarify - this comparison is not about body weight squats. It's about heavy kick you in the *kitten* squats. You don't accidentally get "bulky". DavPul is correct. Lifting heavy things with and a reasonable diet makes woman hot.

why-we-squat.jpg
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

spl449932_029-wm900.jpg

It boils down to body fat percentage. If you don't want to get any more cut than that. Stop cutting calories when you get to a place where you are happy with what you see in the mirror.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Well now that the delicate toning is cleared up we can return to the snu-snu. I most certainly would like to crush a man's head with my legs after snu-snu.......

First I need a man who is interested in some snu-snu.

How did this thread end up giving me a to-do list?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Well now that the delicate toning is cleared up we can return to the snu-snu. I most certainly would like to crush a man's head with my legs after snu-snu.......

First I need a man who is interested in some snu-snu.

How did this thread end up giving me a to-do list?

hahahaha!
  • GnomeLove
    Options

spl449932_029-wm900.jpg

It boils down to body fat percentage. If you don't want to get any more cut than that. Stop cutting calories when you get to a place where you are happy with what you see in the mirror.

It's all falling into place now....
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    IN for delicate toning in the shower. If you know what I mean. And if by beatings, you mean spankings along with a little slap and tickle, IN on that was well. Submission? I thought you'd never ask. My safe word is "Rambo".

wait, we're actually talking about working out and getting in shape???? What is 100 squats with no weight going to do besides make your knees hurt? And what is "delicate toning? Either you want to get in shape or you don't. There's no degrees of toning. I suggest reading the book New Rules of Lifting for Women for a great explanation of what to do, why to do it, and how to do it.

OMG, hahaha! Best. Response. Yet!!

My safeword is banana and I red out with anything to do with feet. :blushing: LOL. I just had to.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    informative
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

spl449932_029-wm900.jpg

I bet she squats. She seems really cool and pretty bad-*kitten*. Therefore, she must squat.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Definitely not body shaming or anything here, but Jennifer Lawrence's body doesn't really look that difficult to achieve. I'm guessing she's probably in the low to mid 20's, body-fat percentage wise. I'm going to repeat what has already been said so far and say that if you don't want to be any leaner than that, don't eat at a deficit (if you aren't looking to lose weight) and lift weights. Generally once women start to drop around or below 20% body fat they lose that 'soft' look and start looking more defined. Personally I think a lean, strong body is beautiful and if I'm working hard, I want my body to show it!