1200 calorie paleo diet

Options
So I was looking for a 1200 calorie meal plan and I found this :)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_ZucB8_O1egJ:www.fitbodybootcamp.com/uploads/mealplans/1200%20Paleo%20Meal%20Plan.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

21 days! I just printed it and ill be getting the stuff tomorrow or so. Yay

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is there a question or are you just posting this to post it?

Paleo is not necessary for weight loss…you can eat the foods you want and lose weight, just eat in a calorie deficit.

I did not know that caveman made almond butter, pureed avocado, turkey meatballs, etc…

I guess Paleolithic caves came with a full kitchen, blender, and food processor, who knew???
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    1200 calories of low volume/high fat food? I would feel like I'm starving all day.
  • mariaoutlook
    mariaoutlook Posts: 130
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just curious... Does paleo diet excluse cow milk, cheese, beans, lentils, etc.? Thanks!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Just curious... Does paleo diet excluse cow milk, cheese, etc.? Thanks!

It depends on what day of the week it is and if Jupiter and Mars are aligned or not
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It depends on what day of the week it is and if Jupiter and Mars are aligned or not

I have no intention to eat a Paleo diet. Just wanted to know why they think diary, pulses, etc. aren't good for them. :)

• ndj1979
    Options

I have no intention to eat a Paleo diet. Just wanted to know why they think diary, pulses, etc. aren't good for them. :)

I guess because cavemen did not milk cows?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I guess because cavemen did not milk cows?

That we know of!
    Those aurochs were tough mothers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1200 calories of low volume/high fat food? I would feel like I'm starving all day.

In theory you would eat lots of vegetables. I didn't go through that plan, because just the first page made my eyes cross.

It's really none of my business, but I never understand why people want a detailed "meal plan" that prescribes your meals down to the number you must have and the ingredients to use to make your snacks. (Would be kind of a bummer if it were actually not winter and things were in season so you were stuck buying out of season veggies just because they are on the chart. Similarly, what if you like apples but not oranges--not that I know if fruit is even on this.)

It's hard enough to have to follow a stupid recipe (that is so not how I cook) or eat according to a meal plan rather than what you actually have on hand and need to eat before it goes bad (I admit this plays into my decision making), even without it involving a need to buy a bunch of new foods that you apparently don't actually eat now.

Again, maybe this works for some, but I did 1250 calories for a while and a pretty balanced, healthy set of meals, I believe, and found it far easier to work with my own preferences and the kinds of foods I enjoy and like to cook than relying on someone else to tell me how to eat. I always think that there must be some idea that losing weight is like doing magic--if you don't get the mix of foods right and eat them in the right order and time of day and so on, it somehow won't take. That's making it way more difficult (and miserable) than it needs to be and is the sort of thing that used to make me give up. Eating in a healthy manner and lowering the calories doesn't need to be hard.

(Even eating paleo, which I don't, but I know people who do, isn't supposed to be hard. You just work with the foods that aren't forbidden, mainly meat, veggies, and various sources of fat (like nuts), plus some fruit and starchy carbs that aren't grains or beans. Easy peasy if you don't miss the missing stuff too much, as I would in some cases.)
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

In theory you would eat lots of vegetables. I didn't go through that plan, because just the first page made my eyes cross.

It's really none of my business, but I never understand why people want a detailed "meal plan" that prescribes your meals down to the number you must have and the ingredients to use to make your snacks. (Would be kind of a bummer if it were actually not winter and things were in season so you were stuck buying out of season veggies just because they are on the chart. Similarly, what if you like apples but not oranges--not that I know if fruit is even on this.)

It's hard enough to have to follow a stupid recipe (that is so not how I cook) or eat according to a meal plan rather than what you actually have on hand and need to eat before it goes bad (I admit this plays into my decision making), even without it involving a need to buy a bunch of new foods that you apparently don't actually eat now.

Again, maybe this works for some, but I did 1250 calories for a while and a pretty balanced, healthy set of meals, I believe, and found it far easier to work with my own preferences and the kinds of foods I enjoy and like to cook than relying on someone else to tell me how to eat. I always think that there must be some idea that losing weight is like doing magic--if you don't get the mix of foods right and eat them in the right order and time of day and so on, it somehow won't take. That's making it way more difficult (and miserable) than it needs to be and is the sort of thing that used to make me give up. Eating in a healthy manner and lowering the calories doesn't need to be hard.

(Even eating paleo, which I don't, but I know people who do, isn't supposed to be hard. You just work with the foods that aren't forbidden, mainly meat, veggies, and various sources of fat (like nuts), plus some fruit and starchy carbs that aren't grains or beans. Easy peasy if you don't miss the missing stuff too much, as I would in some cases.)

I don't need/want/use a plan like this. I was simply stating that the meal plan that was linked to was very low volume. I need a lot more than 1200 calories anyway as someone who is very physically active.

My post was kind of meant to point out the hunger issues that someone who may follow this plan would likely encounter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't need/want/use a plan like this. I was simply stating that the meal plan that was linked to was very low volume. I need a lot more than 1200 calories anyway as someone who is very physically active.

My post was kind of meant to point out the hunger issues that someone who may follow this plan would likely encounter.

I didn't think you were. Just elaborating on why plans like that bug me after responding to your point (high fat/low volume). If there are lots of veggies, it could be filling for someone for whom 1200 is appropriate, as protein and fat are good inclusions for satiety.

Not defending the plan and no interest personally in 1200 at the moment.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Because they eat only things that would have been available 2 million years ago, ignoring archaeological accuracy, plant changes, and the fact that if you dropped Homo habilis/early Homo sapiens into the 21st century they'd be eating everything from roadkill to McDonald's dumpster contents. They were foragers trying to get in enough calories. They weren't fussed about grass-fed bison or protein balls or whatever.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Because they eat only things that would have been available 2 million years ago, ignoring archaeological accuracy, plant changes, and the fact that if you dropped Homo habilis/early Homo sapiens into the 21st century they'd be eating everything from roadkill to McDonald's dumpster contents. They were foragers trying to get in enough calories. They weren't fussed about grass-fed bison or protein balls or whatever.

I got a good laugh from Jason Blaha's video on the Paleo diet where he said if you were paleo you should stab someone with a sharp stick for their pizza and that our ancestors would have been at buffets if they could. We have a ton of luxuries that they could never have imagined and actually debating about what is best to eat is something that they would have never believed possible in their world.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options

I got a good laugh from Jason Blaha's video on the Paleo diet where he said if you were paleo you should stab someone with a sharp stick for their pizza and that our ancestors would have been at buffets if they could. We have a ton of luxuries that they could never have imagined and actually debating about what is best to eat is something that they would have never believed possible in their world.

haha, I'll have to look for that.

I think if you truly want to eat Paleo, you should emulate those nuisance bears that keep getting relocated/put down. They have the right idea.
  • ndj1979
    Options

For realz...paleo = dumb
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I think if you truly want to eat Paleo, you should emulate those nuisance bears that keep getting relocated/put down. They have the right idea.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=npunJUJIJTQ

Viewer warning that he is in his bath robe for this one.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Lol
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options

https://youtube.com/watch?v=npunJUJIJTQ

Viewer warning that he is in his bath robe for this one.

"People are trying to base their dietary ideas on a time when people died of malnutrition" lollllllllllllllllllllllllll

I don't mean to knock low-carb diets because I see people get results from them, but the idea that we should eat like a time period when we lack so much knowledge (and have contradictory knowledge in some regions) is pretty funny.

Can't wait until we do the Victorian Diet. Sugar, sugar everywhere.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ok newish to MFP community, but not MFP, user for years ... Wondering why people feel it necessary to post nasty comments. If you don't have something nice or encouraging to post then don't. If you're being mean or insulting, just keep it to yourself!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    my3boys424 wrote: »
    Ok newish to MFP community, but not MFP, user for years ... Wondering why people feel it necessary to post nasty comments. If you don't have something nice or encouraging to post then don't. If you're being mean or insulting, just keep it to yourself!!!

It is not your job to tell adults how to conduct themselves on a forum. If you don't like it complain to a mod or simply log off.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    my3boys424 wrote: »

Please do yourself a favour and don't start off posting in the forums like this. 99% of the time someone talks about people being mean they are misinterpreting what is being said. If people really are being mean you are going to get hit over the head for coming across as being sanctimonious.