Zumba Calories?

Options
Hi!
I am a latecomer to the Zumba craze. How many calories do you burn in 30 minutes of Zumba? I know it depends on your weight and height and how much you are in shape. Just looking for an approximation. Also, if you can recommend videos or online links I would appreciate it.
Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 400-1000 calories in an hour of zumba, and I'm a moderately fit, 150 lb ish lady. A 400 calorie class feels like a fast walk, and a 1000 calorie class feels like a run...it's all about song tempos, difficulty of choreography and down time....I've been to some classes that are more along the lines of "OK, I'll demonstrate this one move at a slow pace and we'll do that for the entire song" and others that are "ay, papi....I'm going to die."

The official zumba website is the best place for videos and such, as I've been told there are a lot of counterfeit items out there now that it's so popular.

I'm not sure if that was helpful. If you log it as general dancing here (I'm assuming you don't have a HRM) you should get something close to the low end.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    :happy: Zumba is my favourite way to exercise! I do have a set of the DVDs, but honestly, I prefer the vibe of the classes and the fun our instructor makes it. Plus I've made some new friends that way :glasses:

I burn less now than when I was heavier, but my latest HRM reads are around 600cals for an hour (I'm 150lbs), and I usually log 500cals to take into account the cals I'd burn anyway sitting on the couch.

Have fun!!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I will check out the Zumba website for videos. I appreciate your input!
    S:flowerforyou:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I did a zumba class last Thursday with a HRM for the first time. I burned 723 calories in an hour, and I'm 177 and 5'3" and in semi-decent shape right now. It had fairly simple steps, but I made sure to jump and put as much energy into them as possible so my heart rate was pretty high the whole class. It was fun, not a bad way to burn 700 calories. I'm going to do a zumba class at the community center every Monday this summer. Starts next week :D
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates