Why people can't lose even though they eat 'nothing'

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    So essentially, she gets a lot of liquid calories. A lot of people do. This is why I don't drink juice, soda, sweet coffee drinks that are really just milkshakes, cocktails, etc. The few calories I get, I need to have food satisfaction from them!
  • strueblood
    Options
    Alcohol is the anti weight loss drug. I have, in the past, ate very healthy and within my calories even counting the alcohol and it's next to impossible to loose weight. Not only that, if you catch a bit of a buzz you get hungry and choose what ever you want to eat without a care. Yea, trying to lose weight and cocktails doesn't work.
  • enchant3755
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    nutty192 wrote: »
    I have not seen this. Is it available in the UK? Nutty
    Sadly, not available in Australia either, though I am sure it can be ordered online for an arm and a leg.

For those outside US who want sugar free syrup, you could make your own. My mom used to dissolve maple extract into hot sugar/water to make our syrup. You could use splenda, or a more natural sweetner, like monk fruit, truvia, agave and add the maple extract. It's possible if you experiment some. Agave is liquid form so maybe dilute a bit since it is strong.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    strueblood wrote: »
    Alcohol is the anti weight loss drug. I have, in the past, ate very healthy and within my calories even counting the alcohol and it's next to impossible to loose weight. Not only that, if you catch a bit of a buzz you get hungry and choose what ever you want to eat without a care. Yea, trying to lose weight and cocktails doesn't work.
    Yep, that's my mom exactly. There have been times where she would eat very little and drink and wake up a few pounds lighter but I wouldn't exactly consider that a good, sustainable way of weight loss ;)
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    :# this used to be me....eating 1000 calories on some days, then I would be so hungry I would binge every week, resulting in no weight loss, I decided to stick to eating no more than 2000 calories and if I wanted a cookie I ate it, finally I was able to lose some weight.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Before I found MFP I used to say the same thing. And quantity wise, it was the truth. I would literally eat nothing all day at work but when I got home I would drink soda and have 1700+ calories for dinner. Then the weekends I would end up eating 2200+ calories. I never understood why I wasn't losing weight. When I started logging everything in MFP I was shocked.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I'm confused. Is she actively trying to lose weight? You say she is about the same size as you now which implies she was smaller than you before you lost weight. I don't understand why you're critisizing what/how she eats behind her back, especially if she has never been overweight?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    A couple of criossants alone can be nearly half a day's calorie allotment.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Before I found MFP I used to say the same thing. And quantity wise, it was the truth. I would literally eat nothing all day at work but when I got home I would drink soda and have 1700+ calories for dinner. Then the weekends I would end up eating 2200+ calories. I never understood why I wasn't losing weight. When I started logging everything in MFP I was shocked.

Same for me. I "got away" with this for many years, as I had a very physical job with no time to eat. Just drank full calorie Gatorade and Pepsis all day at work. Ate calorie dense foods for dinner (lasagnas, casseroles, etc.). I only ate once a day, but surely I consumed 3,000 calories daily (which I did need at the time).

Well, well, sedentary housewife and student lifestyle now does not require such a large intake, but I continued the same consumption habits. Took a 20+ weight gain over a couple years for it to click--I was drinking half my calories (frou frou coffees, the Pepsi, wine all add up quick). Sure I ate "like a bird" (one calorie dense meal a day w/ nibbles during the day), but I drank like a glutton.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Yeah, but very good.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Yeah, but very good.

Indeed. Not on my normal routine, but I do love 'em.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly tracking every sip and every bite was the biggest thing that really helped me to lose fat. I have learned how to make food and drink choices that keep me feeling satisfied and within my calorie budget. I have a lot of foods that I really enjoy, but I find them too "expensive" calorie wise to make a regular part of my diet. Lots of great advice in this thread. Each of us has to figure out what will work for us to stay on a healthy eating plan.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    - she eats half a baguette with jam for breakfast most mornings (likes sweet things for breakfast), or has a couple croissants

Croissants are Weapons of Mass Calories. Love the things, but they have to be handled with care...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    - she eats half a baguette with jam for breakfast most mornings (likes sweet things for breakfast), or has a couple croissants

Croissants are Weapons of Mass Calories. Love the things, but they have to be handled with care...

Pull pin, add ham and cheese.
    Throw. (down gullet)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with many people who aren't losing weight. They eat more than they realize and can't understand the reason the scale or measuring tape moves in the wrong direction.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    This is why logging helps with weight loss. The capacity of the human brain to trick itself will never cease to shock and amaze me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This is not necessarily true. I have lost about 30 lbs and I have wine or beer (sometimes two) almost every single day. If you work it into your calories and track what you are eating and drinking there is nothing about drinking alcohol which would prohibit someone from losing weight.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    nutty192 wrote: »
    Just been reading these letters. Please, what is sugar free syrup? Nutty
    Syrup that has artificial sweeteners and waaaay less calories than regular syrup.

A staple for me as well, when I make our weekly Sunday breakfast of French toast topped with fruit, whipped cream, and bacon. It tastes fine to me, and worth saving 200 cals for something else.

Cary's brand is the best IMO. When you just drizzle a bit on French toast or pancakes, and get most of the flavor from spices or fruit, etc, it is delicious.

However I do not think I could stomach an Eggo frozen waffle drowning in the stuff (nor do I want to)!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

This is not necessarily true. I have lost about 30 lbs and I have wine or beer (sometimes two) almost every single day. If you work it into your calories and track what you are eating and drinking there is nothing about drinking alcohol which would prohibit someone from losing weight.

Drink Alcohol every Single Day and you can still continue to get rid of 30 lbs.
    You are lucky. I so wish my body reacted the same way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Drink Alcohol every Single Day and you can still continue to get rid of 30 lbs.
    You are lucky. I so wish my body reacted the same way.

Calories In Calories Out.... really doesn't have that much to do with luck.