drinking chicken broth?

Options
Is it weird to drink chicken broth from the box? The other day I watched a movie and did this, it was only 60 calories for the whole box, I thought it's better than soda and popcorn.
I like to snack on something during a movie, sometimes it's fruits but this time it was chicken broth. and it has protein too, 3g per serving but I drank the whole box 4 servings, so 12 g of protein.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Define "weird."

If by "weird" you mean "different, out of the ordinary," then Yes, it's weird.

If you mean "qualifies one for a psych ward," then No, it's not weird.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take a bouillon cube and heat it up in 8oz of water. It's only 5 calories, but I have to watch out because it has a lot of sodium. I do intermittent fasting and that broth helps to tide me over for the day. Especially on cold days when I want something warm to drink (not a big fan of tea).

So I see nothing weird about it. You'd drink it if it was in the bottom of your soup bowl, right? Same difference.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Like room temp, out of the carton, with a straw? That's a little odd but if you like it, why not?

Can I recommend some variations? Pour it in a mug or bowl, heat it very hot and stir in a raw egg or two. Add a little soy sauce, ginger and/or sriracha, and eat with a spoon. Yum.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Itmay be considered odd, but so is eating boiled eggs with soy sauce, and I just did that. It's basically clear chicken soup. Drinking from the carton is convenient. I say go with it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter what other people think? If it's good to you, then drink it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I make chicken stock all the time. If I am cold, want something savory and can't spare the calories, yes, yes, yes, I'll have a mug of salted stock. 'Sgood for you.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it alllll the time when I worked in a hospital (that was our go-to meal for our liquid diet patients). Well, I'd have crackers with it, too.

But really, who cares what any of us think? I assure you that I've done weirder things.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Broth and stock are a little different but I dont think just drinking one or the other is weird. I mean a couple other ingredients and it becomes soup and no one thinks that is weird to eat.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I used to drink it alllll the time when I worked in a hospital (that was our go-to meal for our liquid diet patients). Well, I'd have crackers with it, too.

But really, who cares what any of us think? I assure you that I've done weirder things.

I've totally done weirder things.

I think we've all done weirder things.

If drinking some chicken broth is the weirdest thing you ever do, consider yourself lucky. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Considering some of the things I've eaten, I have no room to talk about weirdness. But chicken broth typically has an awful lot of sodium in it. Unless you are exercising a lot, I wouldn't recommend doing it, no matter how few calories it has.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll often have a cup of chicken bouillon at work if I'm hungry and lunch is still an hour or more away. I don't worry about the sodium as I don't have a medical condition that requires me to limit it.
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a hot cup of vegetable bouillon on cold afternoons - it's like soup without the stuff in it, right? 5 calories and satisfies in a different way than herbal tea. Anyway, if you're weird, I'm weird too.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I often pour my mom's homemade chicken soup into a mug instead of eating it with a bowl and spoon. It's basically just liquid broth, and if I can't be bothered to add noodles or other stuff to it, it's way faster to drink it than to spoon it. I don't see an issue with this at all.

Would suggest some homemade broth instead of the store-bought or cube stuff, though -- much healthier and way less sodium.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat all canned food straight from the can, without even heating it up.

Weird? I dunno 'bout that one but The Wife calls it " Ewwwww ... GROSS!!" (with both exclamation points in her voice)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth is delicious...if I'm not feeling well, I will sometimes drink a mug of hot chicken broth.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have it with a squeeze of lemon, just like any other drink, to make it even more delicious ;)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I'll often have a cup of chicken bouillon at work if I'm hungry and lunch is still an hour or more away. I don't worry about the sodium as I don't have a medical condition that requires me to limit it.
    You don't have to wait until the sodium does the damage to keep an eye on it. I'm not saying you should lower your sodium! You should do what you want.

But if you got that info here, about not worrying about sodium until it has done it's damage, you might want to consider the other side, the one supported by doctors, dietitians, the Heart and Diabetes associations...pretty much everyone who is actually an expert.

And you might not! Totally up to you! Going to leave the link, just in case you'd like to check it out...

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/
  • Kalikel
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    You don't have to wait until the sodium does the damage to keep an eye on it. I'm not saying you should lower your sodium! You should do what you want.

But if you got that info here, about not worrying about sodium until it has done it's damage, you might want to consider the other side, the one supported by doctors, dietitians, the Heart and Diabetes associations...pretty much everyone who is actually an expert.

And you might not! Totally up to you! Going to leave the link, just in case you'd like to check it out...

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

Part here...

***What’s the big deal about sodium? How does it affect my heart health?

Sodium is a mineral that’s essential for life. It’s regulated in the body by your kidneys, and it helps control your body’s fluid balance. It also helps send nerve impulses and affects muscle function.

When there’s extra sodium in your bloodstream, it pulls water into your blood vessels, increasing the total volume of blood inside. With more blood flowing through, blood pressure increases. It’s like turning up the water supply to a garden hose — the pressure in the hose increases as more water is blasted through it. Over time, high blood pressure may overstretch or injure the blood vessel walls and speed the build-up of gunky plaque that can block blood flow. The added pressure also tires out the heart by forcing it to work harder to pump blood through the body.

Here’s the scoop on high blood pressure, also known as the “silent killer” because its symptoms are not always obvious:

It’s one of the major risk factors for heart disease, the No. 1 killer worldwide.
    It’s the leading risk factor of women’s deaths in the U.S., and the second leading risk factor for death for men.
    One-third of American adults have high blood pressure. And 90 percent of American adults are expected to develop high blood pressure over their lifetimes.
    More than 40 percent of non-Hispanic black adults have high blood pressure. Not only is high blood pressure more prevalent in blacks than whites, but it also develops earlier in life.
    Even if you don’t have high blood pressure, eating less sodium can help blunt the rise in blood pressure that occurs with age, and reduce your risk of heart attack, heart failure, stroke, kidney disease, osteoporosis, stomach cancer and even headaches. The extra water in your body can also lead to bloating and weight gain. No wonder the American Heart Association wants you to change your relationship with salt!

Kids aren’t immune to the heartbreak of too much sodium either. Nearly 80 percent of 1-3 year olds and more than 90 percent of 4-18 year-olds in the U.S. get too much sodium, and this can start increasing their risk of high blood pressure when they are as young as 1 year old. Kids who have high-sodium diets are about 40 percent more likely to have elevated blood pressure than kids with lower-sodium diets. This puts them at higher risk for heart disease when they get older.

***Do some people need to be more concerned about eating too much salt than others?

If someone is sensitive to salt, this means increasing or decreasing their salt intake has a greater effect on their blood pressure (compared to someone who is not sensitive to salt). The effects of salt and sodium on blood pressure tend to be greater in blacks, people over 50, and people with high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney disease. That’s about half the American population.

But don’t think you’re off the hook if you’re not in one of those groups. Almost everyone can benefit from cutting back on salt, because nearly all of us eat too much. Blood pressure rises with age, and eating less sodium now will curb that rise and put us on a path to a healthier life.

***I heard that some research questions the connection between sodium and health problems, suggesting that sodium isn’t so bad after all. What’s up with that?

Some newer research questions the link between sodium consumption and health problems, but as the American Heart Association reiterated previously, the connection is well-established and Americans should still be cutting back on salt. The newer research adds to a larger discussion that has evolved over the last few years about appropriate levels of salt intake and its impact.

Much of the research that questions sodium intake and health problems relies on flawed data, such as inaccurate measurements of sodium intake and an overemphasis on studying sick people rather than the general population. Often, the studies with paradoxical findings are poorly designed to examine the relationship between sodium intake and the health outcome of interest.The American Heart Association published a Science Advisory in February 2014 that discussed the problems with many of the studies that question how sodium is related to heart disease.

It’s important to remember that new studies become just one part of decades of evidence on this topic. When considering that evidence as a whole, it is clear that a significant body of research reinforces the link between sodium intake and heart health. There is sound evidence to support the case for reducing the salt we eat.

***What are the benefits of cutting down on sodium?

Along with reducing your risk for high blood pressure, bloating and other effects of too much sodium, cutting sodium might save money:

One estimate suggested that if Americans moved to an average intake of 1,500 mg/day sodium, it could result in a 25.6 percent overall decrease in blood pressure and an estimated $26.2 billion in health care savings.
    Another estimate projected that achieving this goal would reduce deaths from cardiovascular disease by anywhere from 500,000 to nearly 1.2 million over the next 10 years.
    - See more at: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/sodium-and-your-health/#.dpuf
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try unsalted stock instead of broth. MUCH better for you.