Food and energy after a run?

Options
new year, new goals! I am about 95% recovered from a broke tibial plateau from july 2013, and just joined a new gym that has lower-impact treadmills. So, I'm planning on training for a 10k this year and maybe a half marathon next year.

2 issues/questions:

I'm only putting in about 3 miles a day, 5 days a week right now. That's more than I ever did, but even though I've been active in other arenas, I'm noticing my appetite and hunger levels are through the roof on running days. I normally get about 1400 cal/day but I'm starving until I get about 2000. Is this cool? I really want cardiovascular health more than weight loss (im weight lifting in addition to running to help burn cals) but what can I go to stave off just a little bit of the appetite? I'm not even hungry per se, I just want to scarf food. I've tried water to tide me over. No good.

2) I know it's normal to get an energy boost from working out, but I've found myself wide awake and hyper HOURS AND HOURS after a workout. If I went to the gym at 4, I'm wide awake until midnight. No caffeine daily except 2 cups of coffe around 7:00am. What's up with the crazy energy? I'm going to see if I can switch to AM runs, so maybe that will help...?

Replies

• thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry about typos! Submitted on my
    Phone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A 5K will only burn about 300 cals, so keep on top of the overeating.

Personally I don't get particularly hungry after a short run, but after a long session don't stand still in the vicinity. I understand the feeling.

It'll probably ease as your condition improves, that's certainly what I've found.

I do throw a bottle of recovery drink down my throat very soon after a long run, and that helps a lot. Personally I use SIS REGO.