Has anyone ever taken phentermine?

Options
My dr prescribed me phentermine 37.5mg for 3 months. All the reviews I've read r good. Has anyone on here taken it?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Drugs are not The Answer.

There are no Magic Silver Bullets. You have to do the work.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did. Never ever again!

I didn't sleep. I was moody and depressed. I cried for no reason and had zero patience!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And what happens when you stop taking them and your appetite goes back to "normal" ?
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Drugs are not The Answer.

There are no Magic Silver Bullets. You have to do the work.

I kno that. I am doing the work.
  • ashley92188
    Options

I didn't sleep. I was moody and depressed. I cried for no reason and had zero patience!!!

The only side effect I have is dry mouth.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, couldn't take it as prescribed. It caused very dry mouth which made me drink a LOT, I guess that's good, but didn't feel good.
    It kept me up. And by that I mean is that one night I went to sleep, and I SWEAR, my brain never stopped thinking. My body was asleep, but my brain was awake, and when I woke up I could remember every single thing I thought about during those 8-9 hours. Like I was sleeping, and I knew it, but my brain was separated and was having a conversation with myself. This was a pretty weird experience.

It can also cause severe heart palpitations, shortness of breath and you could have a bad reaction, you might have a heart condition you don't even know about.
    Not worth it. I didn't lose any weight because I didn't take it as needed and not nearly long enough (a few here and there)
  • ashley92188
    Options
    And what happens when you stop taking them and your appetite goes back to "normal" ?

That's where self control comes into play. I think the pill is like a helper to get u on the right track as far as eating habits goes.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you do take it, you won't eat because you won't be hungry (because of those pills), not because of your self control. If you find it hard now to control your appetite / what you eat, what makes you think it will be easier when you get off of it? You might think it will be easier because your body will get used to eating less, but in my opinion, appetite and eating and all this is a matter of your mind, not your body.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    I tried it once, couldn't take it as prescribed. It caused very dry mouth which made me drink a LOT, I guess that's good, but didn't feel good.
    It kept me up. And by that I mean is that one night I went to sleep, and I SWEAR, my brain never stopped thinking. My body was asleep, but my brain was awake, and when I woke up I could remember every single thing I thought about during those 8-9 hours. Like I was sleeping, and I knew it, but my brain was separated and was having a conversation with myself. This was a pretty weird experience.

It can also cause severe heart palpitations, shortness of breath and you could have a bad reaction, you might have a heart condition you don't even know about.
    Not worth it. I didn't lose any weight because I didn't take it as needed and not nearly long enough (a few here and there)

Yea everyone's body reacts differently. So far I'm ok. I go to sleep like a baby every night lol. The dry mouth is annoying but helps me get my gallon down easier.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I took it and was very pleased. My doctors plan was 3 months on it then 3 months off and hopefully I wouldn't need it again. I lost 30 lbs the first 2 months. In the third month I just didn't feel like taking it every day and weaned off it. I lost 40 lbs by the 4th month and my husband and I started trying to get pregnant.
    Our baby is now 5 mo old and I'm going back on the diet but I wouldn't be able to take the meds again even if I wanted to because I'm nursing her.

it made a huge difference for me and was a great tool to help me adjust to a more reasonable diet for me. I had no negative side effects. If you have a good doctor they will help you make sure it's right for you.

If I hadn't seen my doctor I don't know what I would have done but I was at the end of my rope and done failing. The phentermine helped me succeed, and now I know I can lose the baby weight, and more, even without the medicine, because I was able to retrain my brain to want less food.
  • ashley92188
    edited January 2015
    Options

jmauerhan wrote: »
    I took it and was very pleased. My doctors plan was 3 months on it then 3 months off and hopefully I wouldn't need it again. I lost 30 lbs the first 2 months. In the third month I just didn't feel like taking it every day and weaned off it. I lost 40 lbs by the 4th month and my husband and I started trying to get pregnant.
    Our baby is now 5 mo old and I'm going back on the diet but I wouldn't be able to take the meds again even if I wanted to because I'm nursing her.

it made a huge difference for me and was a great tool to help me adjust to a more reasonable diet for me. I had no negative side effects. If you have a good doctor they will help you make sure it's right for you.

If I hadn't seen my doctor I don't know what I would have done but I was at the end of my rope and done failing. The phentermine helped me succeed, and now I know I can lose the baby weight, and more, even without the medicine, because I was able to retrain my brain to want less food.

Same here 3 on 3 off. And that's how I'm looking at it to help me adjust. And get on the right track. Congrats on ur success and ur baby!
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you diet advice too? Mine had a very detailed plan, it wasn't just the drug :)
  • ashley92188
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    Did your doctor give you diet advice too? Mine had a very detailed plan, it wasn't just the drug :)

Yes she did and I pretty much kno the basics but for whatever reason I just wasn't losing any weight just constantly gaining. She wants me to get a lot of blood work done and I'm also stopping my birth control to see if maybe that is a factor in my gaining weight. So I'm hoping for good results with everything as far as the pills, the results of my blood work, and stopping my birth control.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was on a max dose for 2 months (40mg daily), with a 3rd month progressively dropping my dose. There were pro's and cons to taking it, but I think my wish to lose my weight without medication will stop me from using it again. Besides, it's damn expensive.

Pros:
    - Energy energy energy. You have no problem being on the go all day. ALL. DAY.
    - You don't feel hungry

Cons:
    -Dry mouth. I got used to it and just drank lots of water, but I'm sure for others it wasn't the case
    - Sleeplessness. My day starts at 5:30am, but my alarm goes off at 5. I'd take the tablet then, and it would start to work by the time I was out of the shower. Any later than that though, and I would have trouble sleeping. What I did find eventually was that if I actively used up all the extra energy it was giving me during the day, I found it easier to sleep at night.
    - Doesn't solve the problem if you are an emotional or boredom eater (not that it should anyway). So if you are, you'd eat the same amount, you'd be losing weight because of the extra energy you have, but it certainly doesn't teach self control.

It's all to personal opinion, but I think if a person is going to use it, it's best to try it once you're already starting to lose weight on whatever eating plan you're following, so that it gives a boost to the good habits you're forming, rather than giving a boost to the bad ones.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    I was on a max dose for 2 months (40mg daily), with a 3rd month progressively dropping my dose. There were pro's and cons to taking it, but I think my wish to lose my weight without medication will stop me from using it again. Besides, it's damn expensive.

Pros:
    - Energy energy energy. You have no problem being on the go all day. ALL. DAY.
    - You don't feel hungry

Cons:
    -Dry mouth. I got used to it and just drank lots of water, but I'm sure for others it wasn't the case
    - Sleeplessness. My day starts at 5:30am, but my alarm goes off at 5. I'd take the tablet then, and it would start to work by the time I was out of the shower. Any later than that though, and I would have trouble sleeping. What I did find eventually was that if I actively used up all the extra energy it was giving me during the day, I found it easier to sleep at night.
    - Doesn't solve the problem if you are an emotional or boredom eater (not that it should anyway). So if you are, you'd eat the same amount, you'd be losing weight because of the extra energy you have, but it certainly doesn't teach self control.

It's all to personal opinion, but I think if a person is going to use it, it's best to try it once you're already starting to lose weight on whatever eating plan you're following, so that it gives a boost to the good habits you're forming, rather than giving a boost to the bad ones.

Ok yea I can respect ur opinion. Thanks for not being rude or judgmental lol.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

This doesn't seems to have any difference from illegal drugs. This is just a matter of FDA approval and a guy in a white coat to make this legal

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hedgiie wrote: »
    This doesn't seems to have any difference from illegal drugs. This is just a matter of FDA approval and a guy in a white coat to make this legal

This is among the dumbest things ever posted on this website. Do you think that FDA approval is something trivial?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

This is among the dumbest things ever posted on this website. Do you think that FDA approval is something trivial?

I'm just sayin' ... THIS ( Phen Fen )

Right?

Draw your own conclusions ...

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

I'm just sayin' ... THIS ( Phen Fen )

Right?

Draw your own conclusions ...

It is a different medication/combo. Is your point that it got approval and then found to be dangerous? That is why it was pulled but yes it was a shame that people did get harmed