Daily Calorie Limits

Options
StacyMMo
StacyMMo Posts: 17 Member
When I first started MFP, I entered my goal as losing 50 lbs at 2 lbs a week. My daily calorie allowance was calculated at 1340. Now, I have lost 7 lbs and my allowance has stayed the same. Will it ever go down or will it stay the same until I reach my goal? I know you can't go much lower and still be getting enough nutrients. thanks!

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You have to manually go in and recalculate. Just because you change your weight, the number of calories you need doesn't change. And yes, you should recalculate because as you get closer to your goal, you'll need to either eat fewer calories or slow your weight loss down (i.e. 1 lb per week, or 0.5 lb per week) to eat the same and not start gaining weight (at least for me since I'm older, short, and female -- my maintenance calorie limit and my weight loss limit are very close to one another.)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    You have to manually go in and recalculate. Just because you change your weight, the number of calories you need doesn't change. And yes, you should recalculate because as you get closer to your goal, you'll need to either eat fewer calories or slow your weight loss down (i.e. 1 lb per week, or 0.5 lb per week) to eat the same and not start gaining weight (at least for me since I'm older, short, and female -- my maintenance calorie limit and my weight loss limit are very close to one another.)

That's odd...my calories automatically went down after I had lost I think about 10 lbs.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    MFP resets your calorie suggested calorie intake every 10lbs lost, but I like to go in manually and change it every 5. I don't have much to lose so that extra 20-30 calories may make a difference.