Squats yes but do you also deadlift?

Options

Replies

• violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I LOVE deadlifts! Being a tall woman with long arms and legs makes them the perfect lift for me. My fist lift was 95 pounds. Squats I don't love as much, but I still do them. I also like one-leg RDLs .
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I *Love* deadlifts. They are awesome, I've only maxed out once so far and got to 235 lbs and I could have gone heavier but I chickened out. Can't wait to try maxing out again!
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I do squats but the killer for me are deadlifts. Anyone else a big fan of deadlifts? By the time I've warmed up to my working weight I'm covered in sweat by the end of my set.

Yep
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think I will like deadlifts more when I get a pair of gloves. My hands are all scraped up right now...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Opposite for me. I love deadlifts and can rock them like nothing else, squats on the other hand....

Ditto . DLs are my favorite loft!

How many warm ups do you do?
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Of course, horse.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts! Frankly, I like them a lot better than squats, although I do both.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I've hit kind of a plateau because my deadlift strength is beyond my handgrip strength right now. it's a b.

[/quote]

I also have this problem. Using thick barbells/dumbells is really supposed to help with this if you have access to them. I don't, so I decided to get a set of Fat Gripz and Grip4orce (not sure which I like better yet). I've been using them for a few weeks now, and I'm already noticing a difference. You will probably have to check your ego and go down in weight when you first start (I know I did), but so far I think it is well worth it.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I deadlift because I need to pick things up off the floor in my every day life.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Squats my least favorite exercise, deadlift my favorite.

Nothing like doing too many warm up sets and reps to be too exhausted to do your work sets.

Problem with grip strength, mixed grip, chalk, and lifting straps don't work?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I like both ...I squat on tuesday and DL on Friday ...I like DL's more than squats though. ..
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I think I will like deadlifts more when I get a pair of gloves. My hands are all scraped up right now...

You don't need gloves to deadlift, you're holding the bar incorrectly. http://stronglifts.com/7-ways-increase-deadlift-grip-strength/
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifting, but it takes a lot out of me. Even my warmups. By the time I am finished, I have to fight the urge to lay on the floor of the gym.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts is all I can do, and I love them!<3
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've recently started doing the single leg deadlifts for the butt, butt, butt. (trying to make Cisco proud)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSingleLegStiffLegDeadlift.html
    I just discovered single leg deadlifts. I do both....regular and single legs. I think the single leg ones are really helping my balance.

I also squat. But squats aren't my favorite. Deadlifts are. :heart:

the 1 legged ones are a great alternative! i feel like they're a bit more dynamic. i can only do them with very light dumbbells right now, am happy even for those :)

check this out for circuits, it's a 1 legged rdl with a lunge thrown in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6-HoWvt9c
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do deads, usually towards the end of my workout. But I have the benefit of being an endo so my legs are naturally big. It's dropping bodyfat is where my genetics screw me; I have to count every calorie!
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do deads, usually towards the end of my workout. But I have the benefit of being an endo so my legs are naturally big. It's dropping bodyfat is where my genetics screw me; I have to count every calorie!

I feel your pain. Love the deadlifts too and I usually do them at the end of my workout because they give me the shakes. This is how I know I'm done.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I love deads and squats...and incorporate both.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I love deads and squats...and incorporate both.

Snoopy, do you even lift?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I feel your pain. Love the deadlifts too and I usually do them at the end of my workout because they give me the shakes. This is how I know I'm done.

Strange. I do them near the start while I have lots of energy. I save the less important stuff like ab work until the end (because doing deads, squats, bench, shoulder press and bent over rows all use and require the core anyway so leg raises are just to finish off the abs).