Soreness??

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I had an intense training session yesterday and I'm not sore today...should I be? I've been working with her for a month and working out on my own off and on for several months. I'm RARELY sore the next day. I've been sore before. Am I aiming for a workout intense enough that I am sore the next day? I'm a little confused.

Replies

• hollybugs
    hollybugs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) peak at 48 hours. Tomorrow should be your most sore day. If you aren't finding you are sore, probably a sign to change things up or add heavier weights. Just my personal opinion :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I hate when I reach this point. Your body has adjusted to a lot of what you're doing and your muscles can take it. You just need to challenge and "surprise" your body. Since you have a trainer, I'd suggest talking it over with her.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm usually never sore the day after an intense workout. Now the day after that yes! I wouldn't gauge your workouts by how sore you are anyway. What type of workout are you doing?
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You most likely are a person that gets DOMS. If you normally feel it the second day you are on target. You could increase the intensity if you want to feel it the next day, but honestly, the second day will still be even worse if you usually have DOMS.
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    Once you stick to a routine and follow it regularly the DOMS will go away.
    DOMS mean absolutely nothing.
    And the key to progress is progressive overload. That means you keep adding resistance (but don't compromise form!)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If your body starts to get use to the movements, it will be less sore. My butt is rarely sore because it's so damn fit, but when it is I know I did something my body isn't use to.

Try something new today (next time you go) and I'm sure, if you do the movements properly, you will feel it the next day.

Example, instead of doing normal squats, do them with weights. Try 50lbs (I'm not sure how strong you are). Then do abs, hold a plank for a minute. Then do lunges with a bicep curl (no bicep curl if you want, just helps burn more calories). Try about 10lbs to start. Then do abs again, side plank on one side with hip dips 20 times on one side and repeat on the other. Then do a wall sit for a minute. Repeat 3 times.

If you don't feel that in your legs and butt the next day, then it might be form.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I just upped my routine. I sort of like the soreness two days after. I feel I am getting stronger and improving. My husband is always worried about me hurting myself, but I go slow at first and watch my form very carefully.

Also, my hubby and I started using BCAA. It seems to help with the soreness. Anyone else have an opinion on BCAA's?
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Once you stick to a routine and follow it regularly the DOMS will go away.
    DOMS mean absolutely nothing.
    And the key to progress is progressive overload. That means you keep adding resistance (but don't compromise form!)

^This.

I am a little dissapointed when I am not sore, because I don't feel like I got a good workout. But that is just a mental thing. The reality is what this guy posted.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just upped my routine. I sort of like the soreness two days after. I feel I am getting stronger and improving. My husband is always worried about me hurting myself, but I go slow at first and watch my form very carefully.

Also, my hubby and I started using BCAA. It seems to help with the soreness. Anyone else have an opinion on BCAA's?

I use BCAA's every lift day. Definitely reduces soreness and aids in recovery.
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    And for anyone that takes their strength training seriously I'd recommend you pick up a book called 'Science and Practice of Strength Training' by Vladimir M. Zatriorsky and William J. Kraemer.
    Two very reputable authors, and the book goes into the theory behind training whilst still being accessible.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I personally would go lower reps 10-12 at a heavier weight. Just my opinion. When I get into the 12-15 range that means you are getting stronger. Time to up it up!! and do less reps =)

Hope that helps!
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    I personally would go lower reps 10-12 at a heavier weight. Just my opinion. When I get into the 12-15 range that means you are getting stronger.

10-12 is too high a rep range for pure strength training. If you make it to 12 that means the weight is too light for strength training and you are training endurance.
    Strength is more in the 1-8 range but it's not that simple:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Time to add a higher weight.