*Trying* to be patient

Options
Good morning, I am the classic yo-yo dieter. I've been up and down numerous times. My mindset is all or nothing so I am good for a few months and then I gain it all back and have to start all over again. I've had the best luck with eating clean and lifting heavy. Right now I'm eating as clean as I can and have been doing things like spin, heavy weight training, and Pure Barre classes. I convinced my bff to doing a little weight loss challenge with me so last Monday we took a pic of our scales and texted each other. This Thursday is our first weigh in. I have PMS and am trying hard to resist the urge to eat sugar and yet one week in, I'm up .06 lbs. I know it takes time and I am very water retentive during PMS but I'd by lying if I said I wasn't frustrated. I just need a little something to keep me going.. Thanks for listening to my rant. Always looking for positive friends who can motivate me to keep going. Thanks!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's a little too soon to expect to see dramatic results. If you know you usually retain water during this specific time of the month, and you're only up such a small amount then you can definitely attribute it to water. Our weight is constantly fluctuating every minute of every day because of factors like water retention, the food and drinks we're consuming, using the bathroom, etc. Also, lifting weights will cause your muscles to retain water to repair themselves so if you've just restarted a lifting regimen you can expect your weight to tick upward slightly from that.

Keep in mind that weight loss is not a linear progression. Some weeks you'll be a little up, some you'll be down and some you'll stay the same. Lifting weights will cause your weight loss to be a little slower, too, because muscle is more dense than fat. If you haven't started already, I'd highly suggest recording your waist, hip, bust, thigh (and any other body parts you'd like to track) measurements and entering them into MFP, also. Some times when the scale isn't moving, we're shrinking.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you SueInAz. You are right. I will take my measurements this week and record them. I forgot about muscles retaining water as well. I already drank my gallon of water so at least I will know that dehydration isn't a factor this week :)
  • ggoss10
    ggoss10 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hear yah! I tend to ignore the scale the entire week of PMS because I gain anywhere between 3 and 5 pounds! It sounds like you are taking the right steps, just try to keep your upbeat attitude! And remind yourself that the changes you are making to your body, are awesome changes, regardless of if you are seeing immediate results. You are becoming a healthier you.
    I struggle with this a log..I can't see to get past the first 5 pounds. I'm just continuing on....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Have you ever met patience's wingman?

His name is Preparation.

Patience is great at waiting - Preparation is not.

he needs to feel productive all the time, certain that he is making progress and moving forward, even if the end is not in sight yet.

So he busies himself with learning about alllllllllllll the things to come, and how he is going to handle them, and how long it will take, and what the best plan is, and the best way to execute it! and and and and AND AND!!!!

and this is why Patience doesn't mind waiting. His wingman is still getting all his **** together.

Spend your time working on the future that is coming, instead of always waiting for the end - and that way - when what you are waiting for finally gets here - you will know exactly how to make the most of it.

not that anyone will read this, but i dont care anymore.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I liked that story Yoovie.
    cheers, h.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel! it totally sucks trying to be patient! but that's probably the biggest lesson i learned. you got this! i love to do heavy weight lifting too. im probably about 5 lbs than my goal weight (which was my weight my senior year in high school) BUT im down to a size 2! you shouldnt have the number on the scale be the end all be all... its about how you feel!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Have you ever met patience's wingman?

His name is Preparation.

Patience is great at waiting - Preparation is not.

he needs to feel productive all the time, certain that he is making progress and moving forward, even if the end is not in sight yet.

So he busies himself with learning about alllllllllllll the things to come, and how he is going to handle them, and how long it will take, and what the best plan is, and the best way to execute it! and and and and AND AND!!!!

and this is why Patience doesn't mind waiting. His wingman is still getting all his **** together.

Spend your time working on the future that is coming, instead of always waiting for the end - and that way - when what you are waiting for finally gets here - you will know exactly how to make the most of it.

not that anyone will read this, but i dont care anymore.

I love this! I might even steal it at some point. :)
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks everyone! 12 days all in and down 4.2 and I feel it! That is what I needed to keep going!!!