Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    gbjess204 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    And if this is a "whose dick is bigger" my fiance's father IS a doctor with a specialty of weight loss and his studies from his actual overweight patients do show, eating small every few hours did much more for their weight loss than before when they were eating a few big meals- with the same caloric intake

Links?

His studies are print- I do not know if he published them or not, I will ask. Since it is family I got copies of his personal journals.

I will ask him if they are published and where to find them.

There are so many factors involve to make a claim like this one. Two factors are stress and hormones.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 to 6 meals per day. My daily calorie right now is about 2000, so 5 meals per day means about 400 calories per meal. If you eat clean, that's the equivalent of about 5 oz skinless chicken breast steamed, one medium sweet potato, about 8 halves of walnuts. This is manageable to eat in one meal.

If I have 3 meals per day, then I need to consume about 700 calories per meal. That's 8 oz of chicken breast, about 2 sweet potatos and 8 whole walnuts. I don't think a lot of people can eat that much per meal for 3 meals per day.

This is a cutting diet with only 2000 calories per day. I eat about 3500 calories on my bulking diet, so you can imagine, how much I have to eat if I only eat 3 meals a day.

Of course if you eat a lot of junk food that are calorie dense, then it's easy to have 2000 calories in one meal.

Multiple meals per day keep me full through out the day, so my hormone level and insulin level stay constant. I have sustained energy without the hanger. People all have their own beliefs, and I believe multiple meals per day is so much superior than 2 or 3 huge meals. Of course, 5 or 6 meals per day is not doable for a lot of people. But you should try to eat as frequent as you can. You rarely get bloated as well.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have always ate this way. I just don't like eating large quantities of food. I eat 5ish small 200 to 250 ish meals a day. Better for weight loss, I don't know. Better for me, heck yes. If i eat a large meal I feel uncomfortable, lethargic, and always regret it. This keeps me satisfied, and I always have more food to look forward to soon.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eat at whatever frequency you want - if you feel better eating smaller meals more often then that's what you should do. But, in the end, it's the total number of calories that will determine weight loss, not when they are consumed.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Whatever way works for you, as long as you're within you calorie budget.

I prefer eating less frequently and eating more food at each meal. I like feeling more full and actually like getting hungry for a meal. Being hungry before I eat makes the meals taste that much better and is more satisfying for me.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I eat like this as well. It just makes me feel better overall. Large meals all at once tend to make me feel "sick".
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Its not really a diet for me.. its my life style. I eat like clock work. Protein shake at 4:15am before the gym ... Protein shake after the gym at 6:15 breakfeast at 8:30am, second breakfast at 10:30am, lunch at 12:30-1, protein shake at 3:30, dinner around 6, and another protein shake at 8:15-8:30, 6 -7 days a week, obviously if im away from home/work my schedule is a little off but i try to keep to it as much as possible.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Wow guys simmer down!!! Obliviously we are not experts at weight loss or we would not have to use an app to help us.

Some of us are here to track our macros.

As you're obviously (not obliviously) not an expert, stop giving out silly, meaningless advice.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kevinmacpa wrote: »
    I eat 5 to 6 meals per day. My daily calorie right now is about 2000, so 5 meals per day means about 400 calories per meal. If you eat clean, that's the equivalent of about 5 oz skinless chicken breast steamed, one medium sweet potato, about 8 halves of walnuts. This is manageable to eat in one meal.

If I have 3 meals per day, then I need to consume about 700 calories per meal. That's 8 oz of chicken breast, about 2 sweet potatos and 8 whole walnuts. I don't think a lot of people can eat that much per meal for 3 meals per day.

This is a cutting diet with only 2000 calories per day. I eat about 3500 calories on my bulking diet, so you can imagine, how much I have to eat if I only eat 3 meals a day.

Of course if you eat a lot of junk food that are calorie dense, then it's easy to have 2000 calories in one meal.

Multiple meals per day keep me full through out the day, so my hormone level and insulin level stay constant. I have sustained energy without the hanger. People all have their own beliefs, and I believe multiple meals per day is so much superior than 2 or 3 huge meals. Of course, 5 or 6 meals per day is not doable for a lot of people. But you should try to eat as frequent as you can. You rarely get bloated as well.

Or you could try eating things besides chicken, sweet potatoes, and walnuts? While satiety plays a role, it's all personal preference on when to eat. I can easily sit down and eat a meal that has 1200 calories if it's calorie dense food. I'm cutting, so I try to avoid doing that, but there is life beyond chicken...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    agggie550 wrote: »
    Its not really a diet for me.. its my life style. I eat like clock work. Protein shake at 4:15am before the gym ... Protein shake after the gym at 6:15 breakfeast at 8:30am, second breakfast at 10:30am, lunch at 12:30-1, protein shake at 3:30, dinner around 6, and another protein shake at 8:15-8:30, 6 -7 days a week, obviously if im away from home/work my schedule is a little off but i try to keep to it as much as possible.

Wow lots of protein shakes daily.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lb in 7 months eating about every 3 hours--3 moderate meals & small snacks in between & in the evening. Probably totaled 1300-1500 calories a day. I kept it off for a couple of years before jumping back on the junk wagon & ruining things. Now I eat 3 moderate meals a day with an afternoon snack & a before-bed snack, total around 1300-1400 calories. I eat at those intervals now because I'm diabetic & I need to keep my blood sugar levels fairly even, since I'm using diet & exercise to control things. To me, that is the key to the every-3-hrs eating, even back then--it keeps things level, no mid-afternoon energy slump, etc. That may not be an issue with everyone, but if it is, eating more frequently helps avoid feeling ravenous at "regular" mealtimes & wanting to scarf down whatever you can lay hands on. But OP, unless you have medical issues that demand it, I don't think you need to deprive yourself of seasonings & any fat at all. Some healthy fat (EVOO, from nuts, etc) is a good thing, both for heart & taste. :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I know that as far as CICO, it doesn't matter, but I find that eating a snack between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner, especially after a workout, keeps me from being overly hungry and overeating at mealtimes. I also feel less fatigued.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I have four meals a day and am consuming about 3000 to 3200 calories a day ...

please define "junk food"...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    agggie550 wrote: »

I don't know if you drink enough protein shakes... ;)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Wow guys simmer down!!! Obliviously we are not experts at weight loss or we would not have to use an app to help us. Different things work differently for each person. My cousin that is a fitness professional is the one that pointed me towards this method in the beginning because what I was doing was not working for me.

Eating every few hours does help me and has helped a few people I know, but it might not be the best for some people.

As for the studies, there are hundreds of studies done on weight loss and for eating every few hours..... EACH study will have different results because they are all not using the same control, the same food with the same chemical makeup. Each study did not have the participants doing to the same activities (or lack of)..... this is not a who right or who is wrong.

This is about supporting people, I just want stories from people who have done this before not "well matter of fact"..... geez people

meal timing leading to increased metabolism is an established myth. that is not a matter of opinion or different things working for different people.

if you want to eat six meals because it is easier to control intake then fine, but it is has zero effect on metabolism.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "I totally have like twelve studies to support my claim that goes against established knowledge in the scientific community!"
    "Links?"
    "Lolno" < How most debates on MFP go

That said I'm a grazer. I have my meals (maybe five or six times out of seven I'll have all three) but most of my logging is smaller snacks I have throughout the day because that works for me. But that doesn't mean it's "better for my weight loss." It just keeps me from being hangry.
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sound like he is pretty dedicated to me. I am still asleep at 4:15am.

To answer the original request for personal experience, I eat 4-5 meals a day and two snacks with a 1,700 net calorie target. I lost 40 lbs in a year with 40 to go using this method. I was rarely hungry. My exercise consisted of weightlifting and cardio. My best loss happened when I had an hour of weights followed by 30 minutes of fat burn cardio. I mainly used this approach to eating because it kept me from getting really hungry while working out five days a week. That is generally when we make bad choices. It also taught me to eat smaller portions which will hopefully help me over time from eating the meals that got me over weight in the past. Portion size, which is directly tied to calories consumed, is an important part of maintaining a target weight. It is eye opening when you eat the intended serving size of steak or chicken and compare it to what is sold at resturants and the store. As others have said, there is little proof supporting more or fewer meals. It is a personal choice and as you can see everyone has their own thoughts and experiences.

If you have a lot of weight to loose and eating habits to change, controlling hunger is an important challenge so eating more often may be useful. The closer you get to a target weight the less you will need so it is reasonable to assume you can do fine eating the traditional three square meals. Also, a person small in statute may not be able to process as much in one sitting as someone who is seven feet tall. People focused on building muscle will generally eat 5-7 times to break the 150-300 grams of protein required a day into smaller meals that the body can more easily process to support muscle building. Since it isn't healthy to eat 8-10 chicken breasts a day, a lot of people use protein shakes for part of that intake. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Or you could try eating things besides chicken, sweet potatoes, and walnuts? While satiety plays a role, it's all personal preference on when to eat. I can easily sit down and eat a meal that has 1200 calories if it's calorie dense food. I'm cutting, so I try to avoid doing that, but there is life beyond chicken...

I use chicken, sweet potato as example, I don't eat that for every meals. I try to eat food with limited fructose sugar and less saturated fats, so everything I eat are light on calorie except for maybe nuts. It's hard for me to consume 1000 plus calories with this kind of food, so 5 to 6 meals is much more doable for me.