Any ideas on what veg to eat unlimited?

Options
Does eating a plate of broccoli count as much carbohydrates?
Thank you

77374700.png

Replies

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Most green leafy vegetables and many other vegetables can be eaten in a somewhat "unlimited" way because they are so low calorie and so filling that it would be hard to go over your calories from making them a large part of your food for the day. Starchier vegetables will add up a bit quicker in terms of carbs and calories (carrots, and especially potatoes, sweet potatoes).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does eating a plate of broccoli count as much carbohydrates?
    Thank you

77374700.png

Weigh it and put it in your diary...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli. I I chop a whole one into florets, put them in a freezer bag with a bit of oil and garlic and shake. Spread out on an oven tray and bake for 20ish minutes until crunchy. I eat the whole lot in one sitting.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You probably mean "negative calorie" foods... they don't exist, sorry. Just continue weighing/ measuring food and logging everything you consume and you'll get there.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    None. unless you count water as a veggie.

A plate of broccoli, assuming one of my standard dinner plates, would easily be 100 cals.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    curves recommends snacking on these "free" vegetables. you still want to track them, though:
    Alfalfa Sprouts
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Baby Carrots
    Bamboo Shoots
    Bean Sprouts
    Beet Greens
    Bell pepper
    Bok Choy
    Broccoli
    Broccoli Rabe
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cilantro
    Collard greens
    Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Green Beans
    Kale
    Leek
    Lettuce
    Mushrooms
    Mustard Greens
    Okra
    Onions
    Parsley
    Peppers
    Radicchio
    Radishes
    Scallions
    Shallot
    Snow peas
    Spinach
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Summer Squash
    Swiss Chard
    Tomato
    Tomatillo
    Turnip
    Watercress
    Zucchini
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    200 grams of broccoli has about 14 carbs. If you are counting "net carbs," less, but I don't do that.

I wouldn't think 14 carbs should be an issue (I personally would not follow a diet where it was, but that's me), or that it would be easy to eat enough broccoli to matter--sure, the calories add up, but you'd get so full that you'd eat less overall.

That said, I usually like to eat a mix of food, not just broccoli, although if you are hungry and just want to munch on something, it's a perfectly good choice.
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    any vegetable that grows above ground, is the easy way to remember, oh except for corn, which in my opinion should never be eaten at all. YUCK
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

• ana3067
    Options
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

People gain by not being in a calorie deficit. If you aren't tracking something, you may be consuming more than you think. Even with things like fruits and vegetables.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    True. But most people are on MFP because they want to give calorie counting a try. Sure, you can use this site other ways, but if you're going to calorie count, you have to count everything -- yes, even broccoli.
  • ana3067
    Options

Considering I eat other foods other than broccoli, this could easily be done. Especially if I chose to do something like add some butter, or cheese. Or if I simply ascribed to the idea that you can eat veggies without limit, then I could easily eat bowls upon bowls of veggies at each meal. Corn? Carrots? Potatoes? I could eat a loooot of each in a single day. Compound all of that with my normal consumption of other foods, I'd be over my calories.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Potatoes are quite calorie dense, and could be a calorie buster if you ate a plateful of them.
  • ana3067
    Options

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

Fruit can be very calorie dense. Back when I "ate clean" (nothing "processed" and a buttload of fruits and veggies) I did mild yo-yoing of my weight. I got down to 140ish and then wound up back at 158. Only reason I didn't keep letting it get worse was because I didn't fit in my clothes and because I weighed myself early enough (I need to weigh myself otherwise I just stay in denial about it). I basically gained because I ate too much of all the "clean" and "healthy" food. So it's very much possible because all food contains calories, and because carbs on their own are not necessarily super filling it can be easy to wind up eating way more than you intend to eat. I used to eat 3-4 pomegranates, 2 large bags of cherries, large bags of peas, etc and I could eat all of that in just one day on top of my other normal intake.
  • ana3067
    Options

Potatoes are quite calorie dense, and could be a calorie buster if you ate a plateful of them.

And I used to eat platefuls of them. Very easily. Often along with some corn, which can also be considered calorie dense. Then some butter on top of that. I used to eat large servings of potatoes like 3-4x a day sometimes! But because it was "clean" it was okay, until I of course gained weight.