How fast food ruined me! - so embarrassed!

Options
So, this is embarrassing to admit but I have to do it because maybe there is someone else out there who was/is in a similar situation.

I have an addiction to fast food - any kind. I haven't eatten any in one week and felt a HUGE craving for it last night. Thankfully I didn't give in. During the week I would eat it three times a day. Not only did it damage my body big time but my wallet also. I used a credit card to pay for it every day, never really paying attention to how much it added up. I just looked at last month's bill and I paid just over $500.00 in ONE month!! I am mortified!! I was just trying to justify how to spend $45 a month on a zumba membership and about $50 a month on weight watchers....seems like pennies now!!

At least I'll have another tool to use against any future fast food cravings!!

Replies

• Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also struggled with this, bad. I ate fast food everyday, sometimes more than once. First step is recognition. Awesome job for recognizing you have a problem. You can get through it, I find that bringing healthy snacks to work helps me not give in to the desire for something quick and easy. We can always find way to justify bad habits, but just stick through it. I used to think I had no will power whatsoever, no I am amazed with myself how easily I can say no to my bad habits!! Good Luck :)
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one of the biggest tools in my weight loss "tool chest" recently is the fact that I'm broke. I just can't afford to eat out anymore - really helps me to actually plan my meals, bring my lunch to work, etc.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think you can still have fast food sometimes. You should set up a budget in cash of the amount you plan to spend on it in a month and only use that to purchase fast food. Of course you can totally cut it out too, but that may be too hard.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have to admit it didn't help me either. We moved from the booneys into the edge of town, and it was so accessable. I would go places by myself just so I could go by fast food,then throw the wrappers away before I got home. That's why I love MFP so much. I "write it before I bite it", and once you see what's in it, it kinda squelches the desire. But, I do still go to subway!!!!
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from! I am an emotional eater and so the fastest thing to satisfy me was fast food. MacDonalds double cheeseburgers never tasted so good when I was upset or stressed. Thankfully though I took a good look at myself in the mirror and my checkbook and realized that I was only hurting myself. It is difficult to change your patterns, but with time and dedication you can do it. Always keep a granola bar or fruit with you so that way when you are tempted to stop at a fast food place you can munch on something else. Also start to make healthier versions of the food you craved. If its french fries then make them at home and bake them instead. You can do this!!!
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was actually about to start a blog about this... So let me tell you.
    I grew up as a VERY picky eater. Even after pregnancy did it worsen. I only like things cooked a certain way and only like certain chicken and this and that. Fast food was absolutely perfect since I'm so picky about my meat (i.e. no bones, don't want chicken to taste too chickeny, etc...). I started eating it about 5 times a week sometimes twice daily. It was perfect especially since i HATE cooking and packing a lunch. Why can't all of my lunches taste fabulous? I've had a long day. It just cheers up my day. Then I ended up with $1000 in credit card debt (probably about half from eating out with my family and another half just spending whatever). Since starting MyFitnessPal 2 weeks ago, I have still eaten out, but it has been within my calories. I pack my lunch daily and on the days I have forgotten, I have eaten at costa vida or in n out but tracked my calories accordingly. After spending some time looking through the nutrition facts of a typical fast food meal for me, I realized it was my own fault. Good luck.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went through a months long phase of eating like 3 fast food cheeseburgers per day. I was flat out addicted to Whoppers and big macs. I was stressed and broke and miserable in general. So I ate.

I gained 20 lbs in maybe 4 months. It was terrifying and it was SO HARD to break it, but once I did I've never gone back to that (but I'm craving a Whopper RIGHT NOW, LOL).
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Also you can still eat "fast food"! Just make healthier decisions. Also if I need to get food on the run, I get Subway, Panera, Chipolte, and other places where I have more control over what I eat. Its food that is still quick, easy, and delicious!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Fast food ruined you???? Or the fact that you bought it three times a day and did not realize that it cost so much? Glad you have seen the light!