Gluten and dairy free

Options
well ive dramatically gone over my calories for today by eating what I thought would be healthy but no 700 cals just for bread and small slices at that not great won't be eating any of that anymore

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    As I said in your other thread, weigh and measure your food.

Then you know how much you'll be eating and can stay on track.

No need to cut anything out of your diet, moderation is key.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    700 calories for bread? I use Udi's and 2 slices are 150 calories….

ETA: Grammar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    liesajayne wrote: »
    well ive dramatically gone over my calories for today by eating what I thought would be healthy but no 700 cals just for bread and small slices at that not great won't be eating any of that anymore

Two slices of Old Mill wheat bread are 130 calories. So 700 calories is more than 10 slices worth.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you're lactose and gluten allergic ...that's tough luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It is fairly common.
  • liesajayne
    Options
    No I'm not allergic I just kinda thought that it be better for me
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Going gluten or lactose free does you no benefit if you don't have an issue ..they are not innately unhealthy

And the products that they make to replace them tend to be higher in fat / calories and make it harder to lose weight not easier

But if it works for you good luck

If not you could just try counting calories at a defecit

Eg A big slice of white farmhouse bread is a delicious 105 calories
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not

Every single person I know who has Celiac (and probably about 80% of the individuals in the Celiac group I am in on Facebook) is also lactose intolerant. With Celiac, comes other food allergies and other medical conditions in general.

Straight from WebMD and MayoClinic:

"Avoid milk and other dairy products that contain lactose. Untreated patients with celiac disease often are lactose intolerant. With successful treatment, dairy products can often be reintroduced slowly into the diet later."

"Lactose intolerance. Damage to your small intestine may cause you to experience abdominal pain and diarrhea after eating lactose-containing dairy products, even though they don't contain gluten. Once your intestine has healed, you may be able to tolerate dairy products again. However, some people continue to experience lactose intolerance despite successful management of celiac disease."

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

A gluten-free diet isn't better for you unless you have Celiac, a gluten allergy, or other medical conditions that are exacerbated by gluten.
  • liesajayne
    Options
    Yes it contained 5g of fat lesson learnt I'm new to all this but thankyou for the heads up
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not

Every single person I know who has Celiac (and probably about 80% of the individuals in the Celiac group I am in on Facebook) is also lactose intolerant. With Celiac, comes other food allergies and other medical conditions in general.

"Avoid milk and other dairy products that contain lactose. Untreated patients with celiac disease often are lactose intolerant. With successful treatment, dairy products can often be reintroduced slowly into the diet later."

"Lactose intolerance. Damage to your small intestine may cause you to experience abdominal pain and diarrhea after eating lactose-containing dairy products, even though they don't contain gluten. Once your intestine has healed, you may be able to tolerate dairy products again. However, some people continue to experience lactose intolerance despite successful management of celiac disease."
    My sister is celiac and not lactose intolerant.

She is diabetic though, which sometimes can go hand in hand too

Either way, don't envy her one bit.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Try eating Ezekiel bread... it will be in the grocery store freezer. Keep it in the freezer at home. It spoils quicker than other bread as it has no presevatives - gluten free as well
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not

Sorry I didn't mean that those diagnosed with celiac weren't more prone to issues with other food groups, just that without a diagnosed condition it is not actually that common

People see gluten or dairy free and think healthy when actually that's not true without the actual allergy / medical issues there's no need to cut gluten or lactose
  • liesajayne
    Options
    :)
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not

And I'm willing to bet 95% of the people in that group are not Celiac since only 1% of the population is actually Celiac...

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It is fairly common.

No it's not

Sorry I didn't mean that those diagnosed with celiac weren't more prone to issues with other food groups, just that without a diagnosed condition it is not actually that common

People see gluten or dairy free and think healthy when actually that's not true without the actual allergy / medical issues there's no need to cut gluten or lactose

Agreed! I am both gluten and dairy free (lactose intolerant and I have Crohn's which for me, is exacerbated by gluten). I'll tell ya, it's not fun! Fortunately there are alternatives like So Delicious dairy free ice cream…. Yum :D
  • MyFitnessMyWellness
    Options
    haha this is me too! and not by choice! gluten, yeast, lactose, and the list goes on for my allergies lol