Should I walk or run?

Options
2»

Replies

• bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think walking is fine. I think running is fine. And please don't take this personally, but I think getting annoyed when people run past you to catch their group is not fine. If you are walking in a group, you should take care not to be a rolling road block in case some people are walking and running and may need to pass walkers from time to time.

It's not so much the running past me that annoys me. It's the running past me and almost knocking me over and not appologizing and being an *kitten* that annoys me. I could care less about someone moving faster than me or someone walking with their buddies. It's not the serious. But rude behavior is my #1 pet peeve.
  • bongochick45
    Options
    fly. you should fly

YES! Problem solved!
  • scribega
    scribega Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love the Runkeeper app. I know that program and the run/walk is a suggestion on that day. I believe it says that the main thing is that it wants you to get use to doing longer times/distances is the main goal for that day. So walking is perfectly fine.
  • bongochick45
    Options
    Thanks for all the amazing advice ya'll! By signing up I meant I committed to do it w/ my friends but I haven't actually registered. I'm going to do on site registration. It's the same price to run and to walk. I think I may run it but just stay towards the very back of the pack and to the right.
  • bongochick45
    Options
    Yes that's exactly what it says. You're suppose to jog at a slow pace and walk at a brisk pace.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Register as a runner and try to run, but stop to walk if you need to.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    DeeBrownBaker Posts: 145
    Options
    fly. you should fly

Yes! yes you should!! LOL
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    fly. you should fly

^ :laugh: :bigsmile:

Run then if you have to walk walk...
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this sounds redundant... I didn't read other responses :)
    Either one you can run/walk. If you want to see your "official time" then get the chip... you can still run/walk it. If you don't care, then don't get the chip... and you can still run/walk it :) 5Ks are for fun, but some people compete against themselves and/or to place, which is why the chips are available. Enjoy!!!
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Both are great exercises but running (jogging) puts a lot of stress on your knees. I see people jogging so slowly that I could crawl faster and think that the strain they are putting on their knees surely isn't worth the minimal effort they are putting into their "run". I have seen people powerwalking, which I admit looks a little strange, and they are moving at a much faster clip than those who are pounding their knees into the ground.

Uhhhh, minimal effort? Have you ever tried distance running? There is nothing minimal about the effort it takes to run be it fast or slow. As someone who is training for their first 5k I take great offense to this. I run slowly, but it is definitely more effort that walking at a quick pace.

Let's remember that the OP asked whether she should register as a runner or a walker. She is training to run, and I don't think she was asking for advice on whether or not she she do it long term.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    fly. you should fly

This