hashimoto's, recomp & calorie intake

I'm hoping to find some women (or men) diagnosed with Hashimoto's, who have successfully done a recomp, losing fat while gaining muscle.
Specifically, did you eat less than a regular woman with similar stats to yours, did you just eat at tdee or eat less on non-lifting days and more on lift days?

My stats: 33 years old
Height: 5'3"
CW: 167 lb.
Synthroid: currently increasing to 75mcg.
Eating at very low carb (35-50g), 1400/day, eat back 2/3 exercise calories, lost 1lb in ten days.
will be starting with StrongLifts this month.

Please only reply if you have experience with Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism, or know someone who has attempted a recomp with a thyroid problem.

Replies

• Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Bump.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    I have Hashi's, scary low Vit D, hypothyroid... previously (as I had other issues last year), I lost 22lbs between eating 1700-1900 per day and lifting... was fantastic...

gained it all back and then some .. so starting anew :)

I am 5'8, 188lbs, Levothyroxine 200mcg (dead thyroid)... strictly TDEE - 20% for me.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Thanks for a reply. :) So is 1700-1900 your tdee -20% ? And did you experience muscle gains?
  • Oi_Sunshine
  • clambert1273
    Thanks for a reply. :) So is 1700-1900 your tdee -20% ? And did you experience muscle gains?

Yes the 1700-1900 is my TDEE-20%.... Not sure on the gains, I gained lots of strength :) my goal was fat loss not concerned with muscle gain but preservation.

I can tell you as much as I feel like crap on a daily basis from thyroid issues, I felt great whenI was doing it :)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Thanks so much. I'm looking more for strength than esthetics, muscle wise and assume they will get larger as they get stronger. :)
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 21 years ago. After several years of med adjustments I am finally stable on 200 mcg. I am 5'4 and 140lbs. I now can tell by the way I feel if my levels need to be checked. I find I lose slower than most people but that also could be my age (I am 48). I eat normally and I try to workout with weights 2-3 times a week and I run. I don't know what tdee is so can't help you there.
    It is frustrating at times but doable. If I can give you any advice it would be to stay on top of your symptoms and to get your levels checked, it makes a huge difference when you are on the right dose!! I have also gone weeks without losing a pound no matter how hard I have worked!
  • clambert1273
    Thanks so much. I'm looking more for strength than esthetics, muscle wise and assume they will get larger as they get stronger. :)

Not necessarily :) as you lose fat and can see them it will appear larger but as it keeps losing then it slims down :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I have Hashimoto's, primary hypothyroidism and three other metabolic diseases. I take 112 mcg of Levothyroxine a day, plus HGH injections, Metformin and Spironolactone.

Lower carb seems to be the key for me, as does eating a lot of (10+) veggies a day. I tend to be around 1200 calories a day. 100G/carbs per day is maintenance for me...I generally need to get under 70G/day to lose weight. I am very tall and extremely (700+minutes/week) active, so yes, I eat a lot less than a healthy person with my lifestyle would be able to get away with. I don't really eat differently on days when I lift than on days when I don't. I might eat *slightly* more carbs when I am doing very intense cardio.

I have a very hard time with the belly fat, but I am otherwise pretty lean at this point--my body is cannibalizing my extremities to hang on to the belly. Likely my situation is more extreme than yours.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost and have maintained just like everybody else.