A very sad intro :(

Options
2»

Replies

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If MFP set your goal at 1600 cals, you should eat 1600 cals. Eating less than that won't make you lose faster.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • ElleEstEllie
    ElleEstEllie Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh just to clarify I'm not dancing to lose weight I'm dancing to get my metabolism going again and to get into shape. To lose weight I am mostly logging every single thing I put in my mouth (EVERYTHING, even if it's embarrassing) and I am eating less calories every day. I was told that to lose .5 lbs per week* (said day before, I typoed) I need to eat 1600 calories a day (This website told me.) So I always stay under 1600. Some days I am right at 1600 and some days I am more like 1100 - 1200. Weekly it says I average just around 1300 calories a day eaten.

I log my exercising but not my pedometer steps, just including cleaning, walking the dog, walking around, as just general daily life. I am marked as "sedantary" for activity level so it would give me a fair estimate of calories a day - I don't work a job where I am on my feet and I sit a lot more than I did when I worked. So i think sedentary activity level is the most truthful.

So yeah I'm not counting on dancing to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination. :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The obvious answer is that you are either a) eating more than you think, b) exercising less than you think or c) the MFP calculation has gone wrong somewhere. When you calculate, I suggest going for Sedentary as your activity level, then logging your exercise using something other than MFP and only eat back half your exercise calories. Make sure you track drinks as well :)

Less obvious solutions are as people have said, that you have a medical condition, or that you are suffering from adaptive thermogenesis.

A practical approach would be to go to the doc and get checked out, recalculate your calories for 1 lb per week (not 0.5 lbs per week) and if it's still not working gradually reduce it manually.

To avoid hunger, eat more protein. It makes you feel fuller for longer :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh just to clarify I'm not dancing to lose weight I'm dancing to get my metabolism going again and to get into shape. To lose weight I am mostly logging every single thing I put in my mouth (EVERYTHING, even if it's embarrassing) and I am eating less calories every day. I was told that to lose .5 lbs per week* (said day before, I typoed) I need to eat 1600 calories a day (This website told me.) So I always stay under 1600. Some days I am right at 1600 and some days I am more like 1100 - 1200. Weekly it says I average just around 1300 calories a day eaten.

I log my exercising but not my pedometer steps, just including cleaning, walking the dog, walking around, as just general daily life. I am marked as "sedantary" for activity level so it would give me a fair estimate of calories a day - I don't work a job where I am on my feet and I sit a lot more than I did when I worked. So i think sedentary activity level is the most truthful.

So yeah I'm not counting on dancing to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination. :)

The problem is, you're not weighing your food. You log something like a medium banana - but what *is* medium to you? It won't be the same as medium to me.

Even prepackaged foods are very often off on their serving portions. Like, a serving of chips is "28g, about 11 chips". What size chips? The big ones? The medium ones? Measuring is a great first step, but if you're not seeing the results you want, then you have to get more accurate.

There's no *real* way to know what you're eating unless you're weighing it all. So when you say you're eating 1300 calories you don't really know you are.

I don't mean this as a criticism, but simply sharing knowledge to make this whole process easier.
  • ElleEstEllie
    ElleEstEllie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can assure you I am logging everything. If I have ketchup, I measure it and log it. If I put sugar in my tea that isn't Splenda, I measure by teaspoon and log it. I log as soon as I eat or while I am eating.

That's why I was so confused and upset. I am definitely creating a deficit through eating habits alone. While I don't have a scale, I'm not just making things up. For example, if I buy chicken breasts I look at the weight on the package so I can log it.

The only thing I do notice I suck at is sodium intake. Every day I am over the sodium level. Macros look fine, calories per day are fine, etc. Sometimes sugar intake is over, but always sodium is over.
  • amandadyer
    amandadyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests I eat around 1400 calls to lose half a pound a week. I was eating meals very similar to your example and working out 5 times a week. I was always hungry and wasn't really losing any weight. After a few months I got a fitbit and saw that I was burning about 3000 calories a day, which is way more that what MFP estimated. Now, I eat around 2500 calories a day and have lost about 23 pounds. For me, not eating enough was a huge hinderance in my weight loss.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I can assure you I am logging everything. If I have ketchup, I measure it and log it. If I put sugar in my tea that isn't Splenda, I measure by teaspoon and log it. I log as soon as I eat or while I am eating.

That's why I was so confused and upset. I am definitely creating a deficit through eating habits alone. While I don't have a scale, I'm not just making things up. For example, if I buy chicken breasts I look at the weight on the package so I can log it.

The only thing I do notice I suck at is sodium intake. Every day I am over the sodium level. Macros look fine, calories per day are fine, etc. Sometimes sugar intake is over, but always sodium is over.

You need to have a food scale, and you should open your diary if you truly want help. I have been on here every single day for a year and I still question my accuracy.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Ennay2
    Ennay2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    amandadyer wrote: »
    MFP suggests I eat around 1400 calls to lose half a pound a week. I was eating meals very similar to your example and working out 5 times a week. I was always hungry and wasn't really losing any weight. After a few months I got a fitbit and saw that I was burning about 3000 calories a day, which is way more that what MFP estimated. Now, I eat around 2500 calories a day and have lost about 23 pounds. For me, not eating enough was a huge hinderance in my weight loss.

This.

And patience.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    TMLPatrick wrote: »
    ... everything everyone said is good. I just wanted to add that if you aren't already, start taking measurements in addition to weighing yourself. It can help you see progress that might not be shown by the scale.

I agree with Patrick. I find that when the scale doesn't budge, inches come off.

Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day (preferably in the morning, before breakfast), in the same clothes? That can easily make the difference.

I don't know how much snacks you eat during the day since you didn't mention, but based on your example day your calorie count seems really low. I'm one of those people who get hangry easily, and I wouldn't last one day with how (seemingly) little you're eating.

If you're not working with a shoestring budget, purchase a food scale and weigh your food for the next couple of weeks. If you're eating the right amount of calories and there's no change in weight or measurements, see your doctor and make sure you don't have any underlying health problems. If your doctor doesn't listen, talk to a different one.

I know you can figure this out and get results. Don't give up!