Healthy eating kinda sucks....

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to early life food education, but I don't know. I've been cooking since I was 8 so I've always been interested in exploring food.

I just think the domain of the adult is explorations in hedonism... why limit like that?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Luckily you don't have to "eat healthy" in order to lose weight. Eat what you like, just log it and stay within your calorie goal. Voila, weight loss!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Take a multivitamin.

LOL I am sorry but that was funny
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I've already posted the solution but everyone wants her to choke down stuff she doesn't like.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I've already posted the solution but everyone wants her to choke down stuff she doesn't like.
    Sounds like dating.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruits and vegetables you do like. Eating 3 or 4 types of fruit/vegetables is not bad or unhealthy. It is just limited.
    Don't eat things you don't like. Don't force yourself to eat carrots if you hate carrots.
    Try different preperation methods. Roasting or grilling vegetables/ fruits can make them taste very different from raw or plain steamed vegetables.
    Try different seasonings.
    Eat your vegetables in things like sauces, soups or casseroles.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    No, it's more....hmm, how to put it. Whenever I see people asking for low calorie ideas for food and snacks, the majority of people respond with stuff like carrot sticks, fruit, yogurt, granola and the like. As if those kinds of foods will satisfy snack cravings. And they probably do for some, but those are not snacks to me. What I eat of those is more stuff I eat with a meal and I eat because I need to, not because I'm hungry or I want them. Does that make sense?

Have more meals per day with small portion sizes per meal. This will remove the need for snacking.

Also get some cooking lessons maybe? To say you don't like the taste of almost everything is kind of way out there to me unless you're a teenager ... then that would kind of make sense to me.

As for kicking snacking all together it takes about 3 days to adjust to not having something .. so just make it past the 3 day marker and you'll be fine.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had unsophisticated tastes well in to my maturity. I hated bitter foods. I think coffee is disgusting. My tastes are slowly changing however as I age. About 25% of the population have more receptors for bitterness and are called "supertasters", and I think I might be one of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/articles/senses/supertaster.shtml

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004013.htm
  • dbmata
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?

Oh no, I have no problem with you having poor taste. You don't need a little badge for your sleeve.

Obviously you have poor taste if you are upset with me generally calling out people with the palate of a child. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I disagree because my children think "kids' food" is gross. It's my husband who eats the crap...and, sadly, it shows.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Try sprinkling Bragg's amino acids on your food. No sodium, but it tastes salty, kind of like soy sauce, and it's good for you! Remember to do it before eating, the flavor gets lost if it's cooked.

This made me think of nutritional yeast - a salty, kind of cheesy taste. Might be something for OP to try as a seasoning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This thread haunts me because when I get that feeling, bored with it all and not enjoying my food, is just before I fall off the wagon. If I can't enjoy myself in this life-change, what's the point? When I get bored of it all, I spend some time analysing my feelings, where it is coming from, and change up my strategy. The last time I got this feeling I went off tossed salads for a month and experimented with different cooking methods, vegetables.

Boredom is my bugbear.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this.

I think the OPs post was probably inspired in part by posts like this. Many people who actually enjoy the taste of most fruits and vegetables are often quick to offer the "grow up and do it already" solution when it really is not that easy. Most people on this site are quick to support not giving up anything that you love, like sugar, fat, "junk food", etc., but for a non veggie/fruit lover, there's not as much support.

Sometimes, it has nothing to do with exposure and sometimes it does. If you grew up never eating fruits and vegetables, the solution may be as simple as trying new things in a variety of ways and learning that you like them. Yay, simple solution!

If you grew up constantly being served these things you hated and were told to eat or go hungry and regularly went hungry instead of eating them, it may not be quite that simple. My mom and brother love fruits and vegetables of all varieties cooked in all kinds of ways. My mom cooked what she liked and I often had very little to eat at dinner time because I just couldn't learn to like the vegetables she served. I am an adult now and I do eat more fruits and vegetables (much, much more than the average person does), but I don't love them and I never will. My kids love them. The way some people look at people who say they don't like vegetables is how I look at my kids sometimes. Yay, steamed broccoli! Yeah, what's wrong with you and who do you belong to?

It's taken me years of learning and growing and experimenting to get to the point where I get a good amount and variety of fruits and vegetables, but I don't love it. I eat them because they are nutritious and help fill me up at meal times. They are also usually lower in calories, which means that I can fill up at dinner time on these and some protein and fat and then have a good portion chocolate and cheese for a snack in the evening instead of a single square of chocolate or something as equally depressing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No.

It's that easy.

It's called growing up.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're finding yourself in this situation! One thing you might want to consider is how your current diet is effecting what you crave. How your current environment is effecting what you crave.

sugar is my lifelong food craving. I love it. Used to eat a ton of it. I ate so much sugar, so frequently, that I didn't even realize how much I are. I did a sugar detox that was as horrible as any caffeine or nicotine withdrawal I've ever seen - and I'm so happy I did it.

One I got the sugar out of my body, I stopped craving it. Also, I learned that if I don't drink enough water, or have enough protein, my go to craving will be sugar. It's take me about 15 years to lead allow that about myself, but now if I have a sugar craving, I usually know why.

Not sure what you're carving, but I bet there are similar things you could do to help stop the cravings. I found that once I stopped craving buttercream frosting (yes!) I started liking healthy foods more. It was like all the sugar was altering my taste somehow, and I couldn't like other foods till I got it out of my system.

Now to the environmental. If you, like I was, get in the habit of say, having a snickers bar every day at a particular time, or a fun coffee drink every time I pass a particular restaurant, you're conditioning your body to want a certain food in a certain situation.

Try creating a new pattern for yourself.

Hope this is useful to you in some day! Good luck. You don't have to like all healthy foods - only enough to have a balanced diet- I still won't eat eggplant, and that's ok:)
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone said this yet but, salt cravings could be the sign of Adrenal insufficiency or a rare kidney disorder called barter syndrome. I'm assuming these have been ruled out by a Dr.?
  • weird_me2
    Options
    No.

It's that easy.

It's called growing up.

Growing up is not learning to love the taste of something you don't. Growing up is knowing that you don't like it but do it anyway.

OP posted a rant that she doesn't care for some healthy things but eats them anyway. She said she doesn't want to snack on them. That's not acting like a kid, that's being an adult and doing what she feels is the right thing but wanting alternatives so that her whole day isn't filled with things she doesn't enjoy. Thinking that your whole day has to be filled with things you don't like is about as depressing as thinking that you have to eliminate carbs or sugar or fat or whatever other fad you want to post here.

I consume more fruits and vegetables than most people do - probably an average of 8 or more servings a day, and that's not usually comprised of iceburg lettuce, cucumbers, apples and bananas, either. I do it because I feel that it's the best choice for long term health. That's being a grown up.
  • dbmata
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    Growing up is not learning to love the taste of something you don't. Growing up is knowing that you don't like it but do it anyway.
    No.

Looks like you need a few more miles on ya.
  • weird_me2
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    No.

Looks like you need a few more miles on ya.

Most people don't like paying bills and would rather do something else with their money, but in the grown up world, they budget their money, pay their bills and then hopefully have some to spend on what they love. How is this any different?