Question for anyone

I recently began a 20 minute upper body workout with barbells and seem to be "worn out" and somewhat "run down" afterward...is this normal? I have just started with the barbell bar only with no additional weights yet and have only done two sessions so far and I am spent afterwards...wondering...

Replies

• BredaClaude
    BredaClaude Posts: 7 Member
    In my experience is that it is normal until you get your body conditioned. When it becomes easier you increase. You feel fatigued at first then conditioned again building up. I just ran yesterday and I had no energy. You will have good days and not so good days. Just keep it up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    It should be a "workout" but if you are only using the bar you most be doing some very high rep work. What does your workout look like?
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    If you don't feel a little rundown from time to time then you probably aren't training hard enough. It'll happen less as you grow more conditioned to lifting but it should still happen every few training sessions.
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you all for your feedback..I am feeling less fatigued now...almost time to increase the barbell weight a bit...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Just to add something that is quite often over looked: how is your breathing while lifting? Slow and steady? Deep breaths in and out? I ask because my husband ignores my advice about watching his breathing while lifting and sometimes he'll be so exhausted afterwards he has to take a nap! And, no, it wasn't because he was actually working that hard. Proper breathing is important, IMHO.
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you BZAH10...I have noticed when I am walking, too, how one can tend to easily overlook breathing techniques... you really do need to concentrate on it, don't you?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Just to add something that is quite often over looked: how is your breathing while lifting? Slow and steady? Deep breaths in and out? I ask because my husband ignores my advice about watching his breathing while lifting and sometimes he'll be so exhausted afterwards he has to take a nap! And, no, it wasn't because he was actually working that hard. Proper breathing is important, IMHO.

If you are lifting heavy you will be unable to breath slow and steady due to increased cellular reputation and coordinated heavy breathing is required to not pass out.

Your body is actually pretty good at breathing on its own so best not to try and override it.
  • tulips_and_tea

If you are lifting heavy you will be unable to breath slow and steady due to increased cellular reputation and coordinated heavy breathing is required to not pass out.

No, not for me personally. I do lift heavy and I monitor my breathing carefully. Everyone is different. Just thought I'd add that since I have personal experience with it. IMO my husband does NOT lift properly, hence, why we don't workout together, so just wanted to add some input.
  • tulips_and_tea
    petee5854 wrote: »
    Thank you BZAH10...I have noticed when I am walking, too, how one can tend to easily overlook breathing techniques... you really do need to concentrate on it, don't you?

Yes, in my opinion it's important. I'm also careful about it during cardio. It helps my endurance tremendously.
  • Wheelhouse15
    I

No, not for me personally. I do lift heavy and I monitor my breathing carefully. Everyone is different. Just thought I'd add that since I have personal experience with it. IMO my husband does NOT lift properly, hence, why we don't workout together, so just wanted to add some input.

Lol I'll leave the breathing and hard working out arguments to the two of you. ;)
  • tulips_and_tea
    I

Lol I'll leave the breathing and hard working out arguments to the two of you. ;)

Fair enough. Just because I can control my breathing does not mean I'm not lifting heavy. It's a learned technique just as it is in yoga. I'm not saying I'm right; just offering a different perspective. Open mindedness is a good thing.
  • Lofteren
    edited January 2015

Honestly, No. If you were actually lifting something that was heavy you would be holding your breathe when you executed the lift. You can't breathe AND lift heavy.

So I can tell you what is happening here. You are controlling your breathing and think that you are lifting something heavy but you could actually be lifting a lot more weight if you held your breathe and performed the Valsalva maneuver. This really isn't a matter of individuality as much as it is a matter of human physiology and anatomy which doesn't differ much from person to person. I have trained numerous powerlifters and have NEVER met a person who could lift a heavy weight while breathing during a rep.

The bottom line is, if you're breathing during the eccentric phase of the lift, it ain't heavy.
  • Lofteren
    This is how you should be doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJX1CyjbMic
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »

Good video, and a critical safety tool for anyone lifting anything remotely heavy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Lofteren wrote: »

Good video, and a critical safety tool for anyone lifting anything remotely heavy.

Anything from Pendlay's channel is great advice! Thanks, Loftteren for posting.