how do you feel about personal trainers?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A good one is worth every penny, a bad one is worthless.

But also let me say that you have to find a fit too. I'm not going to be the right trainer for someone looking to be a powerlifter. But for general strength and conditioning with minimal equipment, I'm much better suited.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had one free hour with a trainer-- he spent the time teaching me exercises I didn't want ("What do you want to work on? Legs?"
    "No, not legs... arm, stomach."
    "Well we'll do legs first.")
    Then he told me if I don't eat six small meals a day I will look like a fat snowman. He also said cardio is a joke and to get a real exercise you do 40 minutes of weightlifting five times a day... no cardio or "cardio in your free time. It's not about running marathon." (This was said after I mentioned I run marathons.) He was egregiously overweight. He talked to my partner-- a male-- the whole time and when asked what kind of goals I set, said, "Oh, typical female goals.")
    Okay sorry this post just turned into me complaining. My point is-- since I had a experience, I looked up the information online and within these forumns and asked a friend who is going to PT school. I didn't need to waste a large amount of money as long as I stayed focused and had self-restraint and control. It's taught me more about myself doing it this way than if I had someone instruct me. If I could afford it, I would probably try it out for a while with a different PT but it's not worth it to me right now.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I feel like I hate them.

I feel like 95% of them are the enemies of fitness.
    I feel that they want a prodigy to use to fulfill their own agenda, to make their own creation, to see what they could do with a human to mold - without worrying about stupid things like - what that client actually wants.
    I feel like they sold out their love of fitness for money.
    I feel like I could beat them senseless when they interrupt me mid-rep to make small talk to lead to selling me something.
    I feel like very few of them have any actual knowledge that can be put into practice for anyone but themselves.

I feel like 5% of them could put you on the path to strong fast awesome sexypants status and set you up to succeed and exceed your wildest dreams - and be safe and smart on the way.

But you gotta find those special unicorns <3
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    last time i met with a trainer he told me i shouldnt be trying to start lifting, I should be spending my time making it a priority to correct my gait.

last time i reward myself for meeting a goal -with a training session.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I wanted one to help me with exercise programs and doing the weights. They were much more interested in trying to show off their little bit of knowledge of the body, some of which they got wrong.

I tried them, but they aren't really helpful with the one thing I needed help with, so I quit. I just went to a sports medicine doctor and got some helpful advice. It cost more, but he knew what I wanted and gave it to me.

They should really focus more on the thing people hire them to do, IMO. What they do must be working for them, though.

Waste of my time and money.

That's what a personal trainer does...
    Or they stand there and count reps. Or they upsell you on more training and other items for their employer, the gym. Or they tell you about cutting edge concepts like starvation mode and eating six small meals a day.

Not all trainers do that.
    I agree. Hence the "or". :) The "that's what a PT does" (i.e., helps with programs) remark seemed to suggest they all are helpful and knowledgeable.

No. It meant that's their job. That's what they SHOULD be doing. If they don't, sorry you have a sh!tty trainer. But I'm sure you could find one that best suits you.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've had two and while I did notice a bit of a difference, it wasn't worth the cash. I realized I already knew how to di everything they were telling me - I just needed to push myself.

I'd only recommend using one if you a) can't motivate yourself and b) have no idea what you're doing. Otherwise, not worth the money.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My personal Trainer is awesome and well worth the money.
    I started seeing him once a week ahave learned so much.
    I now see him once a fortnight to reduce costs and eventually will go to once a month to give me some accountability. But well worth it as you can go harder and faster safely.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Mixed bag. Really depends on your goals - do you have the ability to do it on your own - do you wish to train for something specific or overall health. If it's just an overall health issue, I would advise staying away from spending the $$ and get the right information on proper lifting techniques. Cardio - there's HR Zone training out there to get your hands on - but you really don't need a PT for cardio unless it's embedded in a circuit routine of some kind that you couldn't do on your own.

I've had mixed success - some just want the $$ and don't really bother to understand my physiology and constraints - they just load me up using a template they've used on others and it doesn't work. I've had a couple who really figured out the best way to train me - one had me doing many pull-ups with my own body weight after a year of solid training the right way. I figure if I can push and pull my body weight multiple times, then I must be doing something right.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love mine :) I actually am more muscularly defined than she is now after 2+ years. Part of it for me is the motivation factor, could I do all of this stuff myself? sure... would I? not a chance in heck. So I pay her and I go see her twice a week and keep with my daily walking on my own. I am OK with that...
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have found a great personal trainer but im wondering will it be worth the butt load of cash? I've heard varying opinions on the subject.

I have a really good one who's also a nutritionist and it's made achieving targets so much easier having someone who knows what they're talking about directing me. If you want results, can afford it and are certain this guy/girl is the person for you - go for it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I wanted one to help me with exercise programs and doing the weights. They were much more interested in trying to show off their little bit of knowledge of the body, some of which they got wrong.

I tried them, but they aren't really helpful with the one thing I needed help with, so I quit. I just went to a sports medicine doctor and got some helpful advice. It cost more, but he knew what I wanted and gave it to me.

They should really focus more on the thing people hire them to do, IMO. What they do must be working for them, though.

Sounds like you just got the wrong trainer which would be a waste of time and money.
    There are lots of trainers out there (I consider myself one), who are very knowledgeable, focus on the clients and know how to reach the objectives that they are being hired for. Like hiring a contractor, if you're going to put out your money, it's advisable to interview a few before making a decision.
    If I'm being honest, I've had people drop me for someone else. I've never taken it personally and understand that not everyone is going to fit in with my philosophies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Not necessary, unless you're completely unaware of how to exercise properly. I got the necessary information when I first started weight lifting through friends who lifted regularly. Once you get the concepts down, its easy. I'm sure if you wanted to, there are even youtube videos on how to lift properly.
    Sounds easy enough, but there's information then there's EXECUTION. While one may be able to see, read and hear about how to do a squat, actually executing one where you can see from all angles and watch from start to finish is a different story.
    I've seen lots and lots of regular gym goers who lift on a regular basis and do it incorrectly. And I've worked at several gyms during my years in fitness. Little things like knees bowing inward on a squat on ascension, bringing shoulders forward on a curl, lifting hips of the bench during a leg curl, etc.
    I do get that it can be costly, but education usually is IF the person educating you is well qualified to do so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I won 12 free sessions with the personal trainer I've been working with. She's amazing and knows my limits, yet encourages me to push them when I can. It's nice to have someone there to let me know if my form is correct, to introduce me to new forms of exercise, and to explain to my why when I'm using bad form, something will hurt. She's really knowledgeable and the encouragement is always really nice. Well worth the money and as soon as my 12 free sessions are up, I'll be paying to keep coming to her once a week.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Can't afford it; that's my whole opinion lol. I hear others talk though and most of the time I hear things that would scare me away even if I had money!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A year ago hubby and I invested in once a week training with a personal trainer. I think we signed up for ten sessions. I knew nothing about how to proceed and I was very nervous about causing injury, so she helped me build confidence and pushed me to do new things I was barely aware I was capable of. It helped that she was a registered nurse, so I was confident about the advice she gave. She reassured me on some matters with my knees. And she straightened hubby out about the importance of remembering his inhalers.

A good personal trainer is very worth it, especially if you are starting out.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

That's what a personal trainer does...
    Or they stand there and count reps. Or they upsell you on more training and other items for their employer, the gym. Or they tell you about cutting edge concepts like starvation mode and eating six small meals a day.
    No doubt there are many like that. I left 24 Hour Fitness because of issues like that. I'm not big on supplements, but part of being a PT there is making a quota on supplement sales. As well as listening to a lot of the broscience still being passed on throughout the years. But that doesn't mean you can't trust that there are those out there who actually are responsible and are very well informed. The issue is locating them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had three different personal trainers in my life, one in each major city I've lived in, and they were all very unique. One was a marine, one was a bikini competitor, and one was a strongman competitor. They each taught me entirely different things. The key is to make it worth it, and that's all up to you. PT's can get very expensive, so if you aren't bringing your A-game to sessions and following their advice/instructions during your solo workouts, you're wasting your money.
    It helps to talk to other clients at your gym. You should find someone you connect with - it can become a pretty cool working relationship.
  • SunshineKimL
    SunshineKimL Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer the first week I joined the gym and it was the best decision that I have made. She owns the gym along with her husband and has several certifications and is one semester away from being a dietitian. Two orientation sessions are included with new memberships and by the end of my first session I had decided this was what I needed to be successful. I know that if I didn't have a trainer I would have given up within the first month or two. For me it is worth every penny to have the guidance that I need.
    I think that the key is finding a trainer that works best for you.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had a trainer for over 3 years and he has been worth every penny! He keeps me on track, motivated and pushes me to achieve new goals. However, do your research before hiring someone. Ask fellow gym members, find out the trainers background and I think one of the best ways is to go to the gym and watch the trainers work with others. Everyone has a different goal when working with a trainer, you just need to find the one that is on the same page as you.