How to make tuna taste nice?

Options
I've always been put off fishy fishes so have resorted to cod or pollock. But I want to start eating tuna atleaast, (tinned one) how can I make it taste better?
I was thinking maybe adding it on a jacket patatoe? But in terms of seasoning the fish itself..

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep it simple and eat it as a a snack: Mix it with 1/4-1/2 cup of a flavourful pasta sauce.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, wrap it in bacon!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with avocado and some mustard.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I add just a dab of mayo, Mrs. Dash seasoning, and a drop of lemon juice (lessens the fishiness)! Or put it in a wrap with lettuce and tomato. You could even eat it with black beans or vegetables. Mmmm :smiley:
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    on a romaine lettuce salad, with a red wine vinegarette. little shredded mozzarella.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Dukes mayo.....a huge gob of it...salt and pepper
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »

That's how I have mine, plus I add some black beans. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like to turn it into a sauce -- for pasta or chicken or whatever. To find recipes, just google "tonnato sauce recipe" and you'll find a bunch of them. Although most of them call for tuna in oil, tuna in water works well, too. A quick dish is "fagioli con tonno" -- basically a can of tuna (drained), a can of beans (white, red, chickpeas, whatever, drained), some chopped veggies like celery or carrots, and some vinaigrette/Italian dressing.
  • jjasmelon wrote: »
    I've always been put off fishy fishes so have resorted to cod or pollock. But I want to start eating tuna atleaast, (tinned one) how can I make it taste better?
    I was thinking maybe adding it on a jacket patatoe? But in terms of seasoning the fish itself..
    One brand of tuna that I find to not be overly fishy is Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light in Water. And the other folks here have some great tips for flavoring it!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with a bit of mayo and mustard, onions and a small splash of pickle juice.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Renee's Mighty Caeser salad dressing
    SO damn good
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks guys :)
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think tuna casserole is yummy and if you put a lot of other stuff in it the flavor gets fairly mild. Today i made what i call tuna noodle stovetop slop. Its just tuna, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, carrots, and peas. You could easily make something like that and use a little tuna and more veggies.

I also like putting tuna in pasta salad along with mayo or sour cream, hard boiled eggs, cucumber, tomatoes, black olives, onions and whatever else i have on hand. The more you add to it the more you can cover the flavor.

Personally i like tuna so i usually double it up.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    mayo, sweet relish and celery salt
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do avocado and salsa. High nutrition and low calorie :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the flavoured tunas out there? There is one by Sealord that I eat a lot; sundried tomatoes and olives. I imagine you could toss some sliced sundried tomatoes and olives with a tablespoonful of marinara sauce to make it yourself--great thrown over cabbage shreds or lettuce with cucumber and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »

Lemon, lime, cilantro ...anything strong will work.

Also if you don't like something don't eat it lol!!! that's just silly spend the money on something you like not something you dislike
  • NeonGreenMachine83
    Options
    I make tuna salad with a small amount of mayo, garlic and onion salt, and celery seed. the onion takes away the fishy taste :)
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    This!!!! Or just simply some mrs dash seasoning onions (pickle if on a sandwich) celery, iu just eat it on top of some greens.