New & scared!!!

Options
Desperately want to lose weight but don't seem to be getting anywhere fast so I have decided to give this ago. Whilst I feel my eating has improved and my calories have reduced I can't feel the benefits and don't seem to be losing weight as I had expected! It's scary to think this won't work! Any tips/advice??

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    More information about you would help, so would opening your diary( if it isn't already open)
    How long have you been trying to lose ?what are you're stats, and goal weight?
    Do you exercise?
    It is a slow trip that takes commitment.
    Cheers, h
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    one of the biggest lessons i learned was that it takes time... most people don't want to hear that it'll take months or even years, depending on how much you actually have to lose! but there could be a couple things, like underestimating caloric intake. also do you exercise? add me if you need support/motivation!
  • Sarahwingate
    Options
    I'm quite new to this so not sure how to share stuff yet, still working it all out but appreciate the support guys. Ive put on 3.5 stone in over a year and it's the heaviest I've ever been, I've always battled but decided to knuckle down after Xmas so 1st Jan. I am
    Probs being to impatient but I'm trying really hard for little results so far. I admit I have not introduced exercise yet but it is something I am planning on doing. I just wanted a couple of weeks to get my head around what I can/can't eat, calorie intake, portion sizes etc. I def suffer from de motivation so any support/tips for keeping that up would be great x
  • cpcolombia
    cpcolombia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I Just started and what helps me is setting small daily goals for myself and that may help motivate you. Feel free to add me as a motivational friend! You don't have to do it alone.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    if you are just getting the hang of things here, start by just logging what you generally eat and seeing where to cut back.
    Portion control is the easiest and least painful way to start losing. You don't have to exclude anything you eat, just eat less of those that have too many calories.
    Veg low cal: chocolate bars high cal.
    It is a balancing act.

Once you have logging your calories sorted then go on to incorporating exercise.
    In a nutshell, cardio will help burn calories and improve your cardio vascular system; strength training will help maintain your muscles and bones, keep muscle and lose fat and reshape your body so you are not as jiggley.

Try to include both types for the best results.

Hope this helps, cheers, h.