Does your job hinder/hurt your health goals?

Options
Over the course of the last 5 years I've gained a lot of weight that I never had on me before, and the only thing that was different was my working situation.

I had a job a couple years ago that was getting out of control - I wasn't getting lunch breaks or ANY breaks, and after a while I would get ravenously hungry, start snacking mindlessly, and then binge when I finally got home from work and I would without fail eat *way* too many calories. This is how the pounds started to increase.

I spoke to my manager at my job and in a very reasonable, polite way told her that I needed to have my lunch breaks each and every day, and I was not getting them. I didn't go into the specifics of my bingeing or being ravenously hungry or how it was causing me to gain weight, but it IS state law that we get lunch breaks every day, so I was just reminding her that I required that break each day.

She went to the heads of the company and they decided I needed to go. I had been there for almost 4 years, had only positive reviews, raises each year and bonuses each year, but the second I spoke up they said they wanted someone who wouldn't complain about such minute things. I was laid off and it was devastating.

I was on unemployment trying to find work that would be aligned with my new resolve at a healthy lifestyle, but it seemed that all of the work I was looking at required 10-12 hour days, or off-hours.

I got a job that advertised part-time, mostly mornings. Perfect. I'd work out after work each day, and I'd have more days off to focus on ME and my family.

They ended up hiring me on one condition: that I'd work full-time for at least 6 weeks until someone got back from medical leave. I agreed because I was towards the end of my unemployment and I needed the income. Six weeks would be manageable.

It turned out that 6 weeks turned into 6 months. They lied to me about someone coming back from medical leave, and THEN they asked me to work 6 days a week! The job I applied for was 25 hours a week, and now I was working upwards of 50-60. I couldn't believe the situation I had gotten myself into yet again. I was extremely clear on requiring part-time employment, and they ensured me that it would be only 6 weeks. I had no recourse other than to quit outright, or find a new job after only 6 months of employment.

I didn't want to burn any bridges, so when a new job opportunity showed itself. I gave them 3+ weeks notice. My manager congratulated me on getting another job, and asked if I could still work there on Saturdays. My heart plunged. Why were they still trying to manipulate me into working *more* hours, when I had repeatedly said that's not something I could do?

I'm sorry for this being so long. Of course I said no, I will no longer be working there once I start my new job (which I'm hoping I don't get lied to or screwed around with by managers)

I'm hoping this new opportunity will afford me what I require to have set lunch periods, each day, and work a set number of hours (the job I'm at now my hours are 5-6am until close... which can be 5-6 pm, or whenever. Literally whenever)

Does anybody else find that their job is a huge barrier in their efforts to get healthier? I worked full-time through college in the past and didn't have this problem because managers and coworkers worked around everyones schedules. I always got lunch breaks. Is the US work environment changing?

How have y'all worked around schedules such as this, has anyone had to quit jobs like me?

Replies

• sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In college I held 2 jobs that really made it easy for me to pack on weight. One was at a pet store and the other was at a gas station. The pet store was totally understaffed and so you'd always be asked at the last minute to stay later than you were scheduled for. I needed the money and was nervous about saying no. The schedule was horrible--leaving for work before the cafeteria opened and coming back after it was closed. It was hard to fit in a good meal. There was a taco bell in the plaza, and that was where I often ate my meals.

At the gas station, we signed a waiver that meant they didn't have to give us lunch breaks. as far as I know this is the only way for employers to legally get around providing you breaks. I worked overnight shifts for a long time. It was so hard to be there by yourself, a little scared some nights, and not just nosh on Little Debbie cakes and creamy coffee. At least there I could bring a lunch because I was now living in an apartment with an actual fridge.

At the time, it seemed like I had no healthy options, but what I learned was that I was kind of just using my job as a convenient excuse to eat whatever I wanted. I wish I realized then that all I needed was to plan ahead and find a workaround. OP, your job situation sounds horrible. I eventually left these jobs, but not strictly because of the way they impacted my health. I didn't really have the luxury for that to be a deciding factor.

Just know you're not alone in the whole 12+ hour workday, and that many people find ways to fit in working out and eating well enough. You just have to get creative and work within a new way of thinking about meals. If you can't take a lunch, can you eat at your desk? If not, are you allowed to have drinks? Maybe just relying on protein shakes or smoothies that you could make in the morning and have throughout the day might be an option? Or relying on small, filling snacks like meat and cheese rollups or trail mix or yogurt and granola.
  • redneck_princess1687
    Options
    I feel my job hinders my goals.. a lot. I have a desk job. And I hate sitting still! So whenever I can, I get up and move around. I used to work 12 hour shifts, in a paper mill. I lost so much weight then because I was on my feet for 12 hours straight and in the summer time, there was no AC so I just sweat it all out. Felt great! Then I got promoted to an office job and ever since then, it has become harder and harder to shed the weight. And of course, I gained a lot of what I lost back since I took this job. If I could, I would go back to the 12 hours shifts because its more of what I like but I can't. So now, its clean eating and working out 6 days a week for 30-45 mins a day. Slowly but surely, its coming back off.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It was easy to gain weight when I was a family practice nurse. I never got breaks, I was supposed to be out at 430-5pm but rarely was ever out before 6-7pm. Because of this I did not eat many dinners that were home cooked, because I didn't want to eat at 9pm. To make it worse, the doctor I worked for felt bad that us nurses were paid terribly. Every morning he would put a donut and a soda on my desk to make sure I "got a good breakfast." Sodas would show up throughout the day, since he was a diabetic who didn't eat right and every time he would have a sugar crash he would buy one, and then would buy us them. If we got stuck there late or had to work an evening chinese food or red robin takeout appeared. In addition our company also allowed drug reps to come in, so at least 3 days a week (and usually 5 days)we had free catered lunches from olive garden, smoky bones, pizza, subs, etc. We had one tiny breakroom in each suite that could only fit a fridge, a small 2 person table and some counters (the size of an exam room). When the drug reps were there they would take up the entire room with the set up and then there would be so many people you couldn't get into the fridge to get food you packed until either before lunch started or long after break was over, and we were not permitted to eat at our workstation. Occasionally we would also have catered breakfast and the breakroom would have fresh coffee and bagels muffins and donuts, or they would bring us an afternoon "snack" of panera coffee and cookies (it was easier to be booked and talk to the doctors when they came in at off times as the doctors were less likely to be booked somewhere else)

I had to make changes for things to get better. I told the doctor how much I appreciated the gestures and I started asking him if he wanted me to grab snacks from now on sohe didn't have to. I grabbed water for my co-nurse and I, and his usual snacks. When he insisted we get food we would get almonds, fruit cups, cheese sticks, etc. He finally caught on I started noticing more water and diet sodas and healthy snacks. I also started packing my own lunch and checking in with our receptionist which days drug reps were coming and what suite were they setting up in. I would pack lunches and store them in suites that would be empty and eat there away from the delicious free food. We started fighting for lunch breaks and started actually getting them (or some of a break) and we would use that time to take a walk or do stairs.

It is possible to compensate for unhealthy environments but you have to be able to be assertive. I faced push back from management when I mentioned that we weren't getting breaks. They would snort and say "welcome to nursing, you never get breaks" and finally I told them that fine, I will forfeit my lunch break to take care of patients that my doctor would add on DURING lunch time, but I needed them to stop taking 30 minutes of an unpaid break out of my paycheck each week because it's not legal for them to pay me. I submitted written requests every day I didn't get a break to my manager asking her to adjust my pay. Finally HR stepped in and panicked that the labor board was going to cite us if we didn't start getting lunch breaks, so voila!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are not getting legally required breaks or lunches, you should contact the labor board. Laws can be enforced.

But to answer your question, yeah, 30 something years at a desk job hasn't been great for my health or waistline. I try to move on my lunch and breaks, but still sitting 9-10 hours a day (including commute) does not contribute to physical health.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nothing hinders or helps my goals except me.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I put on 1.5 stone after joining my current company, because people are terrible and celebrate everything. I have lost almost three stone in the past 9 months. I just decided it had to stop. I still very occasionally snack on the stuff, but other health issues (severe reflux and IBS problems) that cropped up a while after I started have meant I have been forced to change how I eat anyway, and it doesn't seem worth it.

A desk job for me is also counter-productive health-wise as I had a big accident a few years ago and sitting at a desk does my now-dodgy back and shoulder in! But I now try to walk every day, for at least 30 minutes.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That sounds hellish. Everyone needs a quiet ten minutes at least to themselves in a work day, just for their sanity let alone anything else!
    There is a fair portion of my day which is desk-based, but I try to always be on my feet in the classroom, to walk to other offices to speak to people, and to go for a walk at lunch if possible (although lunch breaks are a rarity). This makes me feel better even if it has little tangible benefit besides my mood.
    I struggled to keep weight on when I was at university and worked a lot of 10-14 hour hospitality shifts. It wasn't uncommon for waiting staff at big fancy dinners to walk up to 8 miles a night bringing out ten course meals!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I have 2 part-time jobs.

One is very sedentary, and there are always high-calorie low-nutrient snacks around. I mostly ignore them. Not always, but moderation is my goal not complete abstinance. I bring my own food (usually dinner, 1 day a week breakfast & lunch). In the summer, we sometimes go for a very (very) slow walk for maybe 30 minutes. Sometimes I do a little bit of light calisthenics.

The other one is very physical. I am on my feet the whole shift (usually 5.5 hours, so they don't have to give me a lunch; yesterday it was 7.5 and other than when I went to my car to eat my snack I was on my feet... went over my 10,000 steps), moving a lot, repeatedly lifting things of varying weight.
    When I log exercise, I log 40% of my work hours - 20% as slow walking (2mph) and 20% as light home calisthenics.

51637601.png
  • Arkie_Ali
    Arkie_Ali Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hinders. I have a sedentary desk job that provides a ridiculous amount of free unhealthy snacks in the break room. When I was younger I worked 2 part-time retail jobs, and I was able to keep weight off by walking around the entire shifts. If my desk job didn't pay so much more, I would definitely go back to that type of atmosphere. On a side note, NSV for today - someone brought in a massive cookie cake and I was able to grab my water without the cookie cake calling out to me :)
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sherambler wrote: »
    In college I held 2 jobs that really made it easy for me to pack on weight. One was at a pet store and the other was at a gas station. The pet store was totally understaffed and so you'd always be asked at the last minute to stay later than you were scheduled for. I needed the money and was nervous about saying no. The schedule was horrible--leaving for work before the cafeteria opened and coming back after it was closed. It was hard to fit in a good meal. There was a taco bell in the plaza, and that was where I often ate my meals.

At the gas station, we signed a waiver that meant they didn't have to give us lunch breaks. as far as I know this is the only way for employers to legally get around providing you breaks. I worked overnight shifts for a long time. It was so hard to be there by yourself, a little scared some nights, and not just nosh on Little Debbie cakes and creamy coffee. At least there I could bring a lunch because I was now living in an apartment with an actual fridge.

At the time, it seemed like I had no healthy options, but what I learned was that I was kind of just using my job as a convenient excuse to eat whatever I wanted. I wish I realized then that all I needed was to plan ahead and find a workaround. OP, your job situation sounds horrible. I eventually left these jobs, but not strictly because of the way they impacted my health. I didn't really have the luxury for that to be a deciding factor.

Just know you're not alone in the whole 12+ hour workday, and that many people find ways to fit in working out and eating well enough. You just have to get creative and work within a new way of thinking about meals. If you can't take a lunch, can you eat at your desk? If not, are you allowed to have drinks? Maybe just relying on protein shakes or smoothies that you could make in the morning and have throughout the day might be an option? Or relying on small, filling snacks like meat and cheese rollups or trail mix or yogurt and granola.

I'm not sure how things work in America but in Canada whatever they had you sign is not valid. I sued an employer because the law says if you report for work they pay you a minumum of 3 hours. They constantly sent me home early and didn't pay. The labour board investigated and got me my due. They attempted to have all the other employees sign a waiver but the investigator said you cannot sign a contract to break the law.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Every single person has obligations that make it difficult to live a healthy lifestyle. I work 10 hours every day, have a 45 minute commute each way, and still get my butt to the gym 5 days per week. I work through lunch most days, so I pack a lunch box with a healthy breakfast, healthy lunch, and two-three healthy snacks. I also keep my protein powder in my car just in case I get in a bind. You prioritize what is important to you. Making excuses will get you absolutely nowhere.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Like a lot of people, I worked retail and other "lightly active", on-your-feet jobs during my teens and twenties, so even though I was already obese, I didn't pack on more extra weight and I do feel that I stayed in above average shape for my weight in part due to the activity.

By the time I hit 30, I was in a career level position which was almost 100% sedentary. However, I don't blame the sitting-all-day for my massive weight gain nearly as much as the factors of drastically increased stress and more disposable income. I became depressed and (more) anxious and was surrounded by toxic personalities at work. My job was as an enforcer with no back up from top management. Not only was there an abundance of free food AT work (lunches out, treats, etc) but I was on the road a few times per month, and my main source of entertainment was sushi, cupcakes, and other "fun" food. On top of all that, they took dozens of candid photos of staff members every week and displayed them on the intranet and even a few on the internet...so I was constantly feeling down about my weight & disgusted with myself during the first couple of years there. Ugh.

I've found that for me working in an office and being seated for much of the day is not a problem when I have less stress on me. My current job is a mid level office position where people work well together, rules are enforced, and staff generally don't do a lot of whining and moaning, nor do they bring snacks into the office or have a lot of workplace luncheons and so on. It's a much healthier environment for me in all ways and I find it pretty easy to manage in this position even though I am largely sedentary. When I am less stressed, it's so much easier to go home and make a healthy meal and go on hiking excursions on the weekend. In that previous office position, it just made me so exhausted mentally that I'd want to hide out under a blanket all weekend.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My job now it sucks because I am stuck behind a desk all day. Not much room for movement other than getting up to go to the bathroom. They get all ticked if you even pop into someone's office to chat. It's really dumb BUT I put up with it because the money is good. When I worked in retail I was on my feet all the time which sucked sometimes but it helped me stay relitively slim but I was not able to survive on the pay they were giving me.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Meh. I have a job where I sit on my butt all day. But there was no way I was letting that stop me from losing weight; I wanted it too bad. So I kicked my goal's *kitten* and didn't let the fact that I didn't move much throughout the day hinder me. I just moved a lot when I got home. As far as food goes, I still ultimately control what goes in my mouth. I had to make better choices. It was hard but I did it. And so can everyone here :wink:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say my job hinders my goals. There is a lot of temptation when it comes to the food at staff meetings or the ordering out- but it all comes down to my own will power. Took a long time to build it, but that's what it eventually breaks down to. My job it pretty much a desk job and I've had to find ways to work around that. Going to the gym before work works better for me instead of going after.
  • katecwall
    katecwall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every single person has obligations that make it difficult to live a healthy lifestyle. You prioritize what is important to you.

THIS!!

I work with the most unhealthy people ever. So while they order out almost every day and shove their pizzas/chinese food in my face, I suck down my homemade salad or wrap because you know what? It makes me feel good. Plus I'd rather genuinely enjoy a bigger dinner (with a glass of wine) alongside friends/family than with my coworkers during our 30 minute lunchbreak.

It takes a LOT of willpower, but if it is important to you, you can make it happen!!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    When I worked for Costco, I would get in 10,000 steps JUST for an 8 hour shift. We always got our lunch breaks. Sometimes the lunch would be late ( like 6 hours into 8 hour shift ) so I would be ravenous but that wasn't an everyday occurrence. Most of the time I took my lunch at 4-5 hours into an 8 hour shift. We had lunches for 6 hour shifts too, but we had our lunch 2-3 hours into the 6 hour shift. Usually I had my 6-hour shifts on weekends. I worked a lot of 12 to 5 pm shifts there, so I would eat lunch at 11 am before I headed to work and would eat dinner at 6 pm when I got home.

Unfortunately I had to leave Costco due to there not being a location in the area I had to relocate to. ( Family issues/death in family... my mother passed away and I lived with her ). I then got a job at a weight loss clinic. As weird as this sounds, I put on 10 lbs working at the weight loss clinic even when running 40 to 60 miles a week/training for a marathon. It was mostly a sit down job; sometimes they would try not to give me my lunch break but eventually I grew a backbone and demanded that I had one. I would try to find things to do that was active; I always offered to take the trash out. The dumpster was a 0.25 mile away from the building. Also I would take cleaning duties of the clinic, because that gave me steps.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My job requires a lot of sitting and staring at a computer. It's awful. My eyes have gone to $h!t and I have to work really hard to prevent repetitive stress injuries. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease at the RIPE OLD AGE OF 25. Sitting all day is the worst thing. If you can avoid it, I would encourage you to do so.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm self-employed, so no to both.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had previously worked at a fast paced grocery store and had my maintenance down to a science without even realizing it. I was very much in a routine. Then I graduated from graduate school and got a job in my field where I sit at a desk all day long alone in building where we help people get back on their feet. People are very needy and I soon learned that even if I had a lunch in front of me it didn't stop them from asking for help or if I could do something like make a copy (because that couldn't wait even 10 minutes -_-). I gained 15 lbs real fast after this transition because I was just snacking and going through the motions and even though I put that I take a lunch break, technically I am on call my whole shift because I am the only one in the house. I made terrible choices and my health started to decline and I was totally unhappy with who I was becoming after I had made it so far with my education and employment.

Thankfully I have worked to lose those 15lbs and am continuing to lose, but only because I started planning what I was doing before my day happened. Work would get so crazy that I would grab a donut on my way through the kitchen. Now I pack my meals and input them into MFP before the day even begins. This has helped me gain control of my calories and my choices. I also make attempts to walk around more often even if I am just pretending that I have to go to the bathroom so I'm not literally sitting all day long. I still get interrupted when I eat, but I am not subconsciously choosing foods to deal with the stress that I work with at my job. I have also started to have a 'no thinking about work while at home' policy and that has vastly improved my mood and anxiety level these past few days. Hopefully it only gets better from here! :)