Moms-to-be health advice?

Options
Any other moms or moms-to-be out there (or anyone else who has good advice) on controlling crazy cravings, how to use the extra calories on good nutrition for the baby, how to eat healthfully when unhealthy things are the only things you don't puke, and how to incorporate safe yet challenging workouts?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant with #2.

I didn't have healthy habits with #1, and gained 40 pounds with him (I'm only 5'0", so that's gross). This time around I'm staying active, lifiting weights for about and hour 5xweek and trying to get in at least 30 min of cardio 4-5xweek.

Luckily I didn't get much morning sickness this time around, but with #1 all I could stomach was Goldfish crackers and apple juice for about two weeks, lol. This time I avoided feeling very sick by eating something small every 60-90 minutes, whether I felt hungry or not. Also Preggie Pops work wonders, I highly recommend them for nausea.

Keep fresh fruits and veggies, cut and ready to eat, readily accessible in the house. When you want something stupid, like an entire family sized plate of cheddar fries (I've been there) you can reach for something smarter out of the fridge that's already prepped to enjoy.

I'm not one of those moms that had/has insane cravings, but if you find yourself NEEDING something specific, go ahead and have it. 9 times out of 10 it's your body's way of telling you it needs a specific nutrient that that crave food has. Have a reasonable portion of it, and then move on. If your craving is ice cream, buy those little single serving cartons of Haagen Dasz and keep those for craving emergencies. The higher quality ingredients in a nicer brand can help you be satiated easier, and the single servings discourage bingeing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not expecting but have 2 already. I'd just say eat whatever you can keep down.

And I wouldn't try to kill those cravings, our bodies know what they need - not sure what nutrition my body needed from all the wotsits though :/

Oh, and remember your pint of milk a day and congrats :)

edit: as to workouts - do what you normally do.
  • Kghaines
    Kghaines Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding, and I am 15 weeks now, so thankfully most of the morning sickness is over with. I did buy the preggo pops and was skeptical, but they really did help! As for cravings I like the idea of having a single, portioned out serving of whatever I am craving at that time so that I do not go overboard. :smile:
    I started gaining more weight than optimal so I want to start making changes now so that I don't gain more than the recommended 25-30lbs.

With workouts I can run and workout almost as well as I used to, but I have found I need to take more breaks. Before I would just power through it, but if I try that now I get light headed and out of breath, so I just listen to my body more when I need a walking break. :)