Dieting on a budget

Options
What are some of your favorite healthy in between meals snack that's easy on the wallet? I've been eating Greek yogurt, almonds, celery, cottage cheese and fiber one bars when I'm really craving that snickers bar

Replies

• SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Get some sweet nutrition/protein bars. Quest bars are awesome they are bit pricey though.. They definitely take away the cravings. There's also Lara bars and cliff bars you can find at walmart. I got for one of those when I'm craving chocolate bars.
  • Bri1205
    Bri1205 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love to munch on baby carrots with a little lime juice, rice cakes, tomato, cheese wedges, special k snacks, and fiber one 90 calorie brownies. Sometimes, I try to prep my own snacks for the week. This is not only cost effective, it also provides added time that I can use to do more important things like working. Haha. Pinterest ideas are pretty good also.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Homemade yoghurt saves loads of money, and if you have the space, so can growing your own fruits and veges :)
  • Bri1205
    Bri1205 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also use this as a reference for low calorie snacks! It helps a lot. :smiley:
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/100-calorie-snack-ideas/#_a5y_p=1350163
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I shop the sales on produce. I don't know where you live, but we have H-E-B and we have a great selection of different fruits and veggies on sale each week. The nutrition bars are too pricey. If you really wanna get the bang for your buck and still have sweet bars look up some recipes and make them at home. Oats are cheap. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    In general, anything that you prepare yourself and buy in larger quantities will be easier on the budget than pre-packaged convenience-sized snacks.

Veggies and hummus dip make a great snack. Buy full-sized produce and chop it up instead of wasting money on baby carrots or pre-bagged veggies. And make your own hummus to save money if you like. Here's a recipe that comes out really good: toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/07/classic-hummus/.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also, growing your own mushrooms. You can grow a lot quite cheaply, and I love them sliced raw onto a sandwich with tomato and lettuce, among other ways of having them.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    buy in bulk! supply for months
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I shop the sales on produce. I don't know where you live, but we have H-E-B and we have a great selection of different fruits and veggies on sale each week. The nutrition bars are too pricey. If you really wanna get the bang for your buck and still have sweet bars look up some recipes and make them at home. Oats are cheap. :)

I never pay full price for fruits or veggies. Why pay $3.50 - $4.00 for strawberries when I can get them on sale and pay half the cost, especially when they are in season. I never new how much money I was wasting. Turns out, the same concept applies to meat. I prefer to stock up when the prices are lower. I love when chicken goes on sale!
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I never pay full price for fruits or veggies. Why pay $3.50 - $4.00 for strawberries when I can get them on sale and pay half the cost, especially when they are in season. I never new how much money I was wasting. Turns out, the same concept applies to meat. I prefer to stock up when the prices are lower. I love when chicken goes on sale![/quote]

Me too Tracye! My deep freezer is stocked with sale meat. I don't know what it's life to buy full price meat anymore. It's outrageous!