Will walking really make a difference?

Options
13»

Replies

• sitayaksha
    Options
    danniinw wrote: »
    I've started walking most day's during my lunch hour at work. I do about 2km and I'm usually walking for 25-30 minutes. Is this enough exercise? It seems too 'easy' but then I'm very unfit and it's about the only thing I can manage. Finding it hard to focus on the long term and being patient with results taking time.

Any other walkers out there?

I walk daily about 1-2 miles a day depending on the weather. And I asked my dr a few months ago what kind of exercises I should be doing to help loose weight and he told me to walk 2 miles a day, he said it was the best exercise. I still try to do easy exercises sometimes but it is hard for me but he walking does help me but it is different for everyone. Sometimes I do what Chris Powell teaches for walking which is called accelerators and walk for example 1 minute at a slow normal pace and then 1 minute at a faster rate. And switch them up every day to different times and speeds it helps as well.

• ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes walking does help. I walk every morning and some evenings when I'm not in the gym. It does help.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere. Each way to and from work is 45-50 minutes and that is at an incredibly brisk pace. I do it everyday regardless of weather (and I live in Canada!). I am such a supporter of walking and really find it helps my mood too. I get to work HAPPY (unlike most of my co workers lol) keep it up and you will see progress!
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It seems too 'easy' but then I'm very unfit and it's about the only thing I can manage
    I'll throw the BS flag. I started running when I was over 300lbs. I didn't have great success at longer distances until I lost quite a bit more but I'd say I managed a 5 minutes at a time before I had to walk. Look up the couch to 5k and give it a shot. Also there is weight lifting a.k.a. the best exercise in the world for unfit people. You do something for 10-15 seconds and rest for 1-2 minutes usually. I mean come on...

• Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walking is wonderful & something we can all do to suit our abilities. Go for it! I I would rather be outside in the fresh air than walk on a treadmill in a gym.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the positive encouragement everyone I'll keep it up. I'm getting to love my lunch time walks. I too quit smoking about 6 months ago so the walking is great for getting me out of the office.

Congratulations on stopping smoking. Concentrate on nice deep even breaths while you walk and it can only help your lungs heal faster from the smoking as well as all of the other benefits!

I agree with the others, walking is one of the absolute best exercises. Push yourself to improve as you are able. Since you have a limited time frame, try increasing your speed. I like the idea of doing intervals. a couple of times during your walk, walk as fast as you can for a minute or two, then try to increase.

I lost the first 65 lb mostly by walking with some water aerobics. With a foot problem, I have been transitioning into more lap swimming but still cherish the walk I am able to do. Can't wait for the ice and snow to go away so I can get out for more fresh air.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use Leslie Sansone videos because it can be done inside, and you can vary the intensity as someone else mentioned.