Food Fears

Options
I've recently been focusing on eating clean, which involves cooking most meals and avoiding refined carbs/processed sweets. My cravings are under control most of the time, but I feel like every time I see someone eating take-out or processed snacks, it's an emotional roller coaster. I'm worried I'm developing fears towards certain foods I've deemed bad for myself, and that eating them will lead to bingeing and guilty feelings. Does anyone have any experience overcoming this? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I can give a flippant answer, as I kinda dealt with this a while back, with rice.
    Cold turkey.

However, I would say, if you think this is an issue, what would be the harm in talking to a professional about it?
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Try to not let that happen, it is a very difficult road. I struggle with food fears to an extreme and getting passed it can be difficult depending on how your personality is lined up. I would like to see some responses and overcoming this issue as well.
  • rvalenciarogel
    Options
    Over coming bad foods is a challenge and I'm going through that as well but I found by cooking meals you see others eating like pizza , chinese, or hamburgers. make those into healthy alternatives like flat bread pizza with lots of veggies and less sauce, homemade beef and broccoli!.and Turkey burgers, or chicken ! Add spices to add more in depth flavors. I cook mostly so if you need recipes I can help!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The first thing is to understand there are no "bad" foods. There may be trigger foods that you personally need to be wary of, but no bad food. It really is a mindset. When you figure out that there are no boogie men hiding in the pantry, life is better.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this for over 3 years now and I still find it difficult to say in hindsight what I should have done differently. I think one thing is to never exclude foods from your diet for the full 100%. Even if you only eat something once a year, allow yourself to eat it.

Don't label anything as something you shall never eat again. I think that was one of the things that did me in. I didn't adopt just a healthy lifestyle where I chose not to eat pizza or lasagna or a piece of cake 90% of the time. I forced myself to never have any of this again. And so I haven't eaten my own birthday cake, which I bake myself every year, in over 3 years.

I know it's not really straightforward advice, but it's a difficult topic to say anything helpful about. Incorporating healthier versions of your favorite food may help a bit too, but do also try to eat 'the real thing' once in a while. Don't go overboard, but you can for example have half a pizza with a bowl of soup once in a while, or treat yourself to a burger but leave the fries. It's all about mentality. You don't have to eat all of it, you just have to know that you could live with yourself and not feel guilty if you did and that you could continue your diet where you'd left it the next day.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic - I am beginning to reduce carbs/sugar from my diet, mostly by not eating white bread. I can tell already that I have guilt issues if I have a piece of bread. It's a piece of bread, for crying out loud - it's not going to be the end of me. But my mind has put a big label on bread that says "evil food." So, I agree - there is a concern about psychologically banishing a food from your diet. I think the advice of never completely banishing a food is good advice. Even if in reality, you never have it again - in your head, keep it available to you. That was a lot of words, and I don't have much wisdom. I look forward to reading others' ideas and experiences.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The first thing is to understand there are no "bad" foods. There may be trigger foods that you personally need to be wary of, but no bad food. It really is a mindset. When you figure out that there are no boogie men hiding in the pantry, life is better.

This. /thread
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Time. Took a long time for me but doesn't faze me at all now.
  • bkelly30
    bkelly30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine has been Mountain Dew, I began my journey to cut carbs and increase my protein on December 5, I havn't had a moutain dew since Dec 7, and it's hard at times. I just try and remind myself that if I do it will account for calories that I've become stingy with. Or that I will have to add an increased amount of time in the gym then what I already am. This road I've learned in a very short time is about decisions and not necessarily about sacrifices, it also renders challenges of many kinds which I believe makes you that much stronger in the long run. You dont have to completely give up the things you love, just have to alter your intake and find similar things that can help feel the void of those favorites like Pizza and in my case Moutain Dew. Hope you find some advice or a solution with this. Everything takes time, and soon enough it will become easier.
    Have a blessed day!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go get something that's off the list. See if you can eat it. If you cannot, see a therapist.

There is a huge difference between saying, "That's not good for me, so I'm not eating it" and being afraid of food.
  • kimw91
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Go get something that's off the list. See if you can eat it. If you cannot, see a therapist.

There is a huge difference between saying, "That's not good for me, so I'm not eating it" and being afraid of food.

That about sums up my very long post.
  • maybelle184
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! The hardest for me mentally now is going out to a restaurant. I would feel comfortable eating a homemade version of a restaurant meal, but I get scared when I have to go out with friends to eat because I know the meal won't be as healthy as when I make it at home. I try and tell myself that it's just one meal and it's not a big deal, but I'd rather be able to just enjoy it rather than worrying so much.

I also try and tell myself to eat half of the restaurant portion because it's higher in calories, but often that isn't filling enough and I end up still hungry.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This seems like nothing other than semantics. It's not bad, it's just a trigger. Isn't a trigger food a bad thing?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! The hardest for me mentally now is going out to a restaurant. I would feel comfortable eating a homemade version of a restaurant meal, but I get scared when I have to go out with friends to eat because I know the meal won't be as healthy as when I make it at home. I try and tell myself that it's just one meal and it's not a big deal, but I'd rather be able to just enjoy it rather than worrying so much.

I also try and tell myself to eat half of the restaurant portion because it's higher in calories, but often that isn't filling enough and I end up still hungry.

Try eating a low calorie snack before you go to the restaurant, if not being full is a problem. When you look at some of the calorie counts on chain restaurant's web pages it is a little daunting. I often wonder what in the heck they are doing to make their dishes so high calorie.
  • kimw91
    Options

If it is actually a mental conflict for you, you may want to have a chat with a therapist. Please don't take that the wrong way, I only say this because I wish I'd done that much, much sooner and you sound like I did at that time.

As for making restaurant meals a bit easier: I often opt for a lean protein (as far as possible) and leave the carby sides. Or if that is not an option, go the opposite way and have e.g. pasta (without extra oil) and a low calorie sauce (tomato and veg).
  • prattiger65
    Options

This seems like nothing other than semantics. It's not bad, it's just a trigger. Isn't a trigger food a bad thing?

No, its a trigger food. There is a big difference in, "I cant eat this because it is bad for me" and " I don't need to eat this because it triggers over eating" One is rational, the other is irrational.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

No, its a trigger food. There is a big difference in, "I cant eat this because it is bad for me" and " I don't need to eat this because it triggers over eating" One is rational, the other is irrational.

If you say so. I don't see it.
  • prattiger65
    Options

That's ok, a lively debate helps everyone. If two people always agree, one is unnecessary. Like I said in my first post, its really a mindset thing. I actually don't really like the term "trigger food" but people seem to understand the meaning, so I use it. There are a few things that I love so much, I have a hard time with portion control, so I am very careful with them, but they aren't "bad". If I think of them as bad that seems a bit orthorexic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's ok, a lively debate helps everyone. If two people always agree, one is unnecessary. Like I said in my first post, its really a mindset thing. I actually don't really like the term "trigger food" but people seem to understand the meaning, so I use it. There are a few things that I love so much, I have a hard time with portion control, so I am very careful with them, but they aren't "bad". If I think of them as bad that seems a bit orthorexic.

I have one Lays Sour Cream and Onion potato chip I want them ALL (and then some). This does not make me orthorexic. IMO it make those chips bad for me.

But agree to disagree. Doesn't really matter what term is used IMO.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've recently been focusing on eating clean, which involves cooking most meals and avoiding refined carbs/processed sweets. My cravings are under control most of the time, but I feel like every time I see someone eating take-out or processed snacks, it's an emotional roller coaster. I'm worried I'm developing fears towards certain foods I've deemed bad for myself, and that eating them will lead to bingeing and guilty feelings. Does anyone have any experience overcoming this? Any help would be appreciated!

This, right here, is why people come out and say (perhaps, insist) that there are no bad foods. Demonizing foods can lead to disordered eating in some people, which is exactly what's happening to the OP.

OP, first realize that there are no bad foods. Also, I would maybe talk to a counselor if you are having such a hard time. This unhealthy obsession can lead to worse problems down the road if you are inclined to go there - like an eating disorder. And, trust me, that is not a hill you want to climb.

Nip it in the bud, now.