carbs?

Options
I'm new to this eating right stuff..but my doctor advised me to pick 3 days out of the week to have little to no carbs...can someone please give me some examples of meals & snacks with little to no carbs

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One easy way (there are others) is to think of those days as mostly being meat and vegetables: Small steak with lots of broccoli, or chicken with brussels sprouts, or egg, cheese and ham omelet with a big bowl of cucumbers and tomatoes or a bowl of chili with salad or tuna salad with no bread.
    Make an account on Pinterest and do a search for low carb.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    First, get a new doctor. There is nothing wrong with carbs as long as you are not celiac and need to avoid gluten.

Second, eat what you want in sensible portions. Track it and you're good!

But, if for whatever reason you want to follow your quack doctor, fill up on lean meats and vegetables.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, beef, fish, pork, ham...
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm also at lost why you would cut carbs only three days a week. Either you get most of your energy from carbs, or you get most of your energy from fat.

Low carbs usually is meat, some nuts (avoid peanuts and cashew), fat in general, and vedgies. If you want to eat fruit your options are mostly berries and coconut.

Also not everybody agrees on what is low carb. For some people it's anything under 100 grams a day, for other it's even 20g a day or less. If you go very low, you will also be very low in fiber.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is pre-diabetic and her doctor is trying to phase in a lower carb diet gradually so she's more likely to sustain it? That's the only reason I can come up with why a medical professional might suggest such a thing.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Maybe she is pre-diabetic and her doctor is trying to phase in a lower carb diet gradually so she's more likely to sustain it? That's the only reason I can come up with why a medical professional might suggest such a thing.

Ya, I would like to hope that there's a legitimate reason for it but I've seen some wacky things from doctors who claim to be specialized in "weight loss", when their only specialty is selling magic under the guise of having credibility. Guess we'll have to wait for OP to come back :/
  • CourtneyMichelleOubre
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic..that's why :( but thanks everyone for the info!
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    OK then, OP, I'm glad your doctor made the suggestion for a legit reason.

For a pre-diabetic person, I'd suggest foods like turkey, chicken, and fish. If you like salads, have one with every meal...even breakfast if you like! Nuts are a good snack. Also, look in to the vegetables that have a low glycemic load, those are the kinds of carbohydrates that are the best choice for people following a diabetic diet.

Good luck! Hope some of the thread didn't discourage you. Sometimes people latch on to stuff as a fad and it's not healthy. But, for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes, low carb is a reasonable recommendation, as your doctor said.

What kinds of food are your favorites? What are the things you think you will miss on your low-carb days?
  • CourtneyMichelleOubre
    Options

For a pre-diabetic person, I'd suggest foods like turkey, chicken, and fish. If you like salads, have one with every meal...even breakfast if you like! Nuts are a good snack. Also, look in to the vegetables that have a low glycemic load, those are the kinds of carbohydrates that are the best choice for people following a diabetic diet.

Good luck! Hope some of the thread didn't discourage you. Sometimes people latch on to stuff as a fad and it's not healthy. But, for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes, low carb is a reasonable recommendation, as your doctor said.

What kinds of food are your favorites? What are the things you think you will miss on your low-carb days?

Thank you :) my favorite food is red beans...& I know I'm going to miss eating rice on low carb days :/
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Cheese
    Avocado (fiberous carbs are good)

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I did some carb cycling and didn't think I would be able to do it but once you get used to it, it is not too bad. I miss my potatoes but know I can have them on my high carb days. You can do it. I was pre-diabetic also and was able to change that through eating better and losing some weight.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Thank you :) my favorite food is red beans...& I know I'm going to miss eating rice on low carb days :/

Try brown rice, quinoa, and other whole grains. They are not low-carb, but the fiber content means they have a better Glycemic Load than their white grain cousins.

I'm sure there are some MFP groups devoted to Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome/Pre-Diabetes, I also suggest joining there and finding out what others have had success with. Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to cut carbs
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition, there's no reason to cut carbs

She noted that she does have a diagnosed medical condition. But, otherwise, I agree with you.
  • CourtneyMichelleOubre
    Options

Try brown rice, quinoa, and other whole grains. They are not low-carb, but the fiber content means they have a better Glycemic Load than their white grain cousins.

I'm sure there are some MFP groups devoted to Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome/Pre-Diabetes, I also suggest joining there and finding out what others have had success with. Good luck!

Thanks so much. You've been a great help.!