Broke and heathy....impossible?

Options
aliciadennison77
aliciadennison77 Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am kind of poor right now but I want to eat healthy. I cant afford all the ingredients for "heathy food". Am I fighting a losing battle or am I crazy for thinking weight loss is only possible for the rich

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do this. Are you a single, part of a couple, or family with children. The reason I ask is it is obviously easier if you are single. You will need to shop differently, but because you will eat less, you may find you are actually saving money.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Ther's a thread called "Broke and Overweight" on page 2. :)
  • geminijen77
    geminijen77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the struggle. I read this fantastic blog about a woman who fed her whole family for less than $500 a month at whole foods. That is the USDA 'thrifty' budget for food. It is a little bit more than most families would get on food stamps. I was really impressed by her and read the entire series on her blog. My takeaway is that planning is important and use frozen foods! I hope it helps!

http://truefoodmovement.com/30-day-whole-foods-thrifty-challenge
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I cant afford all the ingredients for "heathy food".. am I crazy for thinking weight loss is only possible for the rich

No, you'd be crazing for thinking weight loss requires eating healthy all the time and not a calorie deficit.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    There's healthy food and then there's "healthy food" (ie: Whole Foods arm-waving BS for neurotics).
    If you figure out the difference, you can do just fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    People regardless of income can eat cheap foods like beans, rice, lentils, cabbage, eggs, canned tuna, canned and frozen fruits and veggies. You can buy these frozen and they can fit into any plan:
    Collard greens
    Mustard greens
    Turnip greens
    Carrots
    Cauliflower heads
    Brussels sprouts
    Broccoli florets
    Spinach
    Cauliflower florets