Making bad choices of cheat foods

Options
Hi there I am new to this site. Recently I made the choice to cut out all snacks, chocolates, biscuits, cakes and fizzy drinks. Why, because they are full of processed sugars and other bad ingredients. The alternative is making better choices through fruit like apples, oranges and fruit salads, water is my friend even though it is dearer than petrol these days. But I think its more accessible than unhealthy flavoured drinks.

Does anyone else have have their preferred alternatives as opposed to the easy no brainer alternates that are always located near checkouts at service stations, supermarkets and milk bars (Victorian name for a SA Deli) no matter where you live its usually the shop where we buy milk from.

It will be good to see how others choose their food and why.

Regards,
Steve

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of "cheat" meals. With a bit of work you can add treats into your daily calorie allowance.
  • GeemaLeema
    GeemaLeema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you get tempted to buy chocolate and sweets at the till when you go into a shop I suggest only taking the money you need to get that 4 pints of milk or whatever. Maybe, you could walk, run or cycle to shop and as a reward buy yourself a little treat.

As a student, I don't get tempted by this because I just think that I don't need to spend my money on chocolate. But unless you are saving money, it's not really an incentive.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was given some advice a while back that may help. I was told that if you have a craving for a food such as chocolate, you're better off having some, and getting that craving out of your system. If you are eating such foods in moderation it's no big issue.

I'm lucky enough to have fruit provided free of charge at work, so it's an easy choice to make, although my preferred alternatives to chocolate etc. are foods like beef jerky, nuts or seeds. This sort of food will fill you up for longer, and they also have great nutritional values.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out any foods at all. I don't think that any food is inherently unhealthy (the closest you might get is trans fats I guess, but even there you have to consider the dosage). Instead of thinking about excluding things I focus on what I'm including in my diet. So first I make sure I'm making choices that give me enough protein and fat. Then I make sure I'm getting a few servings of vegetables and a couple of servings of fruit, and that my choices are not going to leave me hungry. After that I always have room for a bit of ice cream or a piece of chocolate.

Doing that I've lost 45 lbs and have kept it off for more than 2 years, and most importantly I never feel deprived or like I need to "cheat." I don't have any problem turning down food that doesn't fit my goals because I know I can have it any time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thinking of foods as "bad" or something you cheat with is a road to disaster. You can fit them into your days in moderation. Now, that doesn't mean you eat nothing but those. Get your nutrients and macros in, then have a bit of chocolate or a cookie or two if you can make it work.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    seds02 wrote: »
    Hi there I am new to this site. Recently I made the choice to cut out all snacks, chocolates, biscuits, cakes and fizzy drinks. Why, because they are full of processed sugars and other bad ingredients. The alternative is making better choices through fruit like apples, oranges and fruit salads, water is my friend even though it is dearer than petrol these days. But I think its more accessible than unhealthy flavoured drinks.

Does anyone else have have their preferred alternatives as opposed to the easy no brainer alternates that are always located near checkouts at service stations, supermarkets and milk bars (Victorian name for a SA Deli) no matter where you live its usually the shop where we buy milk from.

Regards,
    Steve

Foods aren't bad or good, sugar also not bad and no difference to the body betweeen processed and 'raw'

Stick within your calorie defecit and you can eat anything

Deprive yourself too much and you'll crash and burn

What do you like to eat? Find a way to make that your go-to treats

for me if it helps - foods I deem a 'yum must-have' include
    - Nestle Fab ice lollies (90 calories)/ Solero ice cream lollies (94g), Crunchie blast ice cream (230g)
    - 20g 72% dark chocolate (120 calories) or variants thereof, break off a small chunk allow it to melt in the centre of your tongue and then repeat .. ultimately satisfying
    - Quavers (88 calories)
    - Toast with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato (under 200 calories)
    - I like Oreos or McVities Rich Tea dunked in my coffee (about 75 - 110 calories)
    - I like Carrots, peppers and hummus (under 150 calories)

oh I have a couple of diet sodas a day, alongside my sparkling water consumption

I follow 80/20 for healthy to treats roughly .. try it .. no deprivation diet works
  • tequilacatt
    Options
    I buy little packs of dried cranberries, dried cherries, nuts, raisins etc and stick on in my bag, one in the car and have those to hand to snack on.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want and fit it into my calories. I'm healthy and losing weight.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out any foods at all. I don't think that any food is inherently unhealthy (the closest you might get is trans fats I guess, but even there you have to consider the dosage). Instead of thinking about excluding things I focus on what I'm including in my diet. So first I make sure I'm making choices that give me enough protein and fat. Then I make sure I'm getting a few servings of vegetables and a couple of servings of fruit, and that my choices are not going to leave me hungry. After that I always have room for a bit of ice cream or a piece of chocolate.

Doing that I've lost 45 lbs and have kept it off for more than 2 years, and most importantly I never feel deprived or like I need to "cheat." I don't have any problem turning down food that doesn't fit my goals because I know I can have it any time.

This like a million trillion times :D I've done exactly the same thing! I started about 10 years ago and over those past 10 years I've lost 100 pounds and have kept it off. I did this by not looking at food as evil, I had to find balance. I don't really avoid any food except maybe fast food but that is a personal choice. I eat chocolate, sugar, pop (on occasion), bread, red meat and the list goes on. I make healthy good choices the majority of the time but once per week, usually Saturday, I don't log my calories and I eat what I want which might include a good hamburger and fries. On Saturdays I do still workout because well I love to workout, it makes me feel good :) Great job on the 45 pounds and two years, that is truly awesome!!!

• seds02
    seds02 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, all great ideas and food choices. Do you think anything changes for men in there senior years (mid 50s) and beyond?
    I am very fortunate my work provides me with all my meals, so I have to choose very carefully, taking preference to roast, steaks, vegetarian, salads and fruit. There are times I go out and buy food I like to snack on, so overall I eat healthy choices of food, exercise regularly, with the very rare treat a cyclist deserves following a long ride, black coffee and a bagel.
    I think I can afford to loose 10 Kgs this year.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, all great ideas and food choices. Do you think anything changes for men in there senior years (mid 50s) and beyond?

No, lost 50+ pounds by eating what I always ate with moderation and tracking calories. I still have snacks, just not as often and not as much. Instead of eating 2 donuts, I eat one and log it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Regards,
    Steve

I am going to address the bolded part.

In my view, there is no "good" and "bad" food. What matters is the overall context of diet, meaning that if you hit micros/macros/calorie goal for the day then you can eat the foods that you want.

IMO - if you are going to view foods as 'bad' you are setting yourself up for an unhealthy relationship with food.

Why not enjoy certain foods - pizza, ice cream, cookies, whatever - in combination with an overall diet that meets all your needs? If your day consisted of eggs, bacon, fruit, greek yogurt, turkey breast, whole wheat bread, chicken, rice, ice cream, and a cookies is that really bad? < this example assumes that these choices fit into your micro/calorie/macro goal..

What sounds more sustainable:

A - Restricting foods for the next 50 years because they are viewed as "bad"

OR

B - Eating the foods you enjoy and hitting a calorie deficit and micro/macro needs and hitting the goals that you have set for yourself..

And you are going to replace "processed sugar" (whatever that is) with sugar from fruit, really???

sugar = sugar

calore deficit = weight loss...
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    In my view, there is no "good" and "bad" food. What matters is the overall context of diet, meaning that if you hit micros/macros/calorie goal for the day then you can eat the foods that you want.

Good point. I considered editing my post to add that over time I did balance my macro/micro nutrients. Before my diet was lacking in enough protein and fiber. I still need to keep an eye on my fat intake (goal is 88g per day) but over the week I usually maintain a good balance.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Regards,
    Steve

I've lost 67 pounds in 8 months.

I choose my food based on a balance of nutritional needs and want. I eat snacks, chocolate, pizza and soda - when I feel like it, and if it fits my goals for the day. My diary is open, you're welcome to look at it.

If you feel like cutting "bad ingredients" and "processed sugar" (I don't honestly know what you're talking about here) is the way to go, then by all means take that path.

Just keep in mind that it's not the only way. You don't *have* to restrict your diet to see success. You can still eat foods you enjoy, as long as you keep your nutritional needs and calorie goals in mind.

Good luck.